- Fashion Designing Course
- Textile Designing Course
- Fashion Designing Syllabus vs. Textile Designing Syllabus
- Eligibility for Fashion Designing vs. Eligibility for Textile Designing
- Fashion Design and Textile Design Entrance Exams
- Skills Required to Become a Fashion Designer vs. Skills Required ...
- Top Colleges for Fashion Designing Courses in India
- Top Colleges for Textile Designing Courses in India
- Career Options for Fashion Designer in India
- Career Options for Textile Designers in India
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The field of design is very vast and has quickly become one of the most popular streams. Out of all the specialisations in the design field, Fashion and Textile Designing are the two most prominent and sought after courses by most of the students. These courses open infinite options and opportunities for students. Both the specialisations come with many similarities and many differentiating factors as well.
Unlike fashion designing, which is a very vast course where you get to specialise in multiple fields under it like jewellery or leather, textile designing solely focuses on patterns and structures. Textile designing caters to creating woven, printed or knitted patterns for clothes or home decor, whereas fashion designing focuses more on creating clothes, accessories and lifestyle. They are closely related to each other, yet so different.
Fashion Designing Course
The course of fashion designing is infinite and gives in-depth knowledge about all the aspects of the fashion industry. Everything under the fashion universe- economic, social, ecological or cultural is covered under this course. This ever-growing and ever demanded profession has gained more momentum in the past decade.
Textile Designing Course
In textile designing, the designs are created and fabrics are printed for knitted, non-woven and woven fabrics. Those patterns can be used for clothing and household textiles. Decorative items at home such as carpets, and daily use items like towels are all textile-designed. The textile designers have to be creative continuously in order to come out with innovative ideas. The course of Textile Designing imparts education about those patterns and structures and teaches the designers to be creative.
Fashion Designing Syllabus vs. Textile Designing Syllabus
The syllabus of fashion design and textile design has been provided in the table below. These courses have theoretical as well as practical subjects that help students in developing a deep understanding of the programme.
|Fashion Designing Syllabus||Textile Designing Syllabus|
|Introduction to Fashion Design & Fashion Technology||Intro to Textiles|
|Garment Construction||Textile Design Development Project|
|Fashion Theory||Elements of Design|
|History of Fashion||Print Design|
|Management||Marketing & Merchandising|
|Freehand Drawing||Introduction to Pattern Making|
|Social Science||Field Study|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Quality Analysis & Assurance|
|Apparel Development||Design Art & Basic Design|
|Knitwear Design for Fashion||Printing|
Eligibility for Fashion Designing vs. Eligibility for Textile Designing
In order to get admission to the courses of fashion design and textile design, it is essential to meet their eligibility conditions. Admission is offered only to the students who fulfil the academic requirement for the programmes. The eligibility criteria for fashion design and textile design are given in the table below.
|Course Name||Eligibility Criteria|
|Bachelors in Fashion Designing|
|Masters in Fashion Designing|
|Bachelors in Textile Designing (B.A.) (B.Sc) (Diploma)|
|Masters in Textile Designing (M.A) (Advance Diploma) (Post Graduate Diploma)|
Fashion Design and Textile Design Entrance Exams
In order to pursue either of these courses, one has to attempt a few examinations and go through the selection process. The following exams need to be attempted before applying to any of these courses:
|Fashion Designing Exams||Textile Designing Exams|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) Entrance Exam||National Institute of Design (NID) Entrance Exam|
|Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) Entrance Exam||All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED) Entrance Exam|
|School of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Entrance Exam||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) Entrance Exam|
|Army Institute of Fashion & Design (AIFD) Entrance Exam||School of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Entrance Exam|
|Indian Institute of Art & Design (IIAD) Entrance Exam|
|Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF) Entrance Exam|
Skills Required to Become a Fashion Designer vs. Skills Required to Become a Textile Designer
Becoming a fashion designer or a textile designer requires hard work and study. However, becoming a successful and a good fashion designer or textile designer requires skillset in addition! One has to acquire the following skills in order to be successful in these professions:
For Fashion Designing:
- An eye for detail: The fashion designers must have an eye for detail and be able to dig out the minutest of details and technicalities.
- Creative and Artistic Skills: In a world full of fashion designers, and so many new coming up every year, it is of utmost importance for a fashion designer to be as creative and possible. He/she must be interested in all kinds of art in order to stand out in the market.
- Spontaneous Ideas: Creative thinking is a very important skill to become a successful fashion designer. Looking at the number of players in the field of fashion, one who has the skill to come up with creative ideas instantly can easily survive in this industry.
- Excellent Drawing Skills: You can take classes if you are not very good with this focus area because one who lacks in good drawing skills, will not be able to succeed in this field. A lot of time of a fashion designer goes into drawing or sketching for their clients.
- Strong Communication Skills: A fashion designer must have fluent English speaking skills in order to communicate well with the clients or the designers they are working for.
For Textile Designing:
- Technical Knowledge: A lot of technicalities come into picture while dealing with textile designing. An overall knowledge along with the work-specific knowledge is very important for the textile designers professionally.
- Research Skills: A Textile designer must have good research skills. Research helps them to be constantly aware of the trends and technologies in the textile industry. Understanding customer lifestyle and market requirements is very important.
- Data Handling: A textile designer caters to multiple requests and projects at times. The skill of data handling helps them keep sane during those times of immense work-load.
- Critical Analysis Skills: Critically analysing the situation or work-related problems and then solving them individually is a skill every textile designer must incorporate.
Top Colleges for Fashion Designing Courses in India
Given below is the list of best fashion designing colleges in India. Candidates can check the list and shortlist a college for admission.
- Amity University Manesar, Gurgaon
- Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD), New Delhi
- Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF)
- Jagannath Institute of Management Sciences - (JIMS) Sector-3 Rohini, Delhi
- Swami Vivekananda University (SVU), Kolkata
- NIMS University (NIMS Jaipur), Jaipur
- Army Institute of Fashion Design (AIFD)
- J D Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai
- National Institute of Design (NID)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- Sage University, Indore
Top Colleges for Textile Designing Courses in India
Here is the list containing names of the top textile designing colleges in India. All students interested in the course can pick a college as per their convenience and requirement.
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology - KIIT, Bhubaneswar
- Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University - (MJRP), Jaipur
- Pearl Academy
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
- OM Sterling Global University (OSGU), Hisar
- International Business School Washington (IBSW), Bangalore
- Aditya College of Design Studies (ACDS Mumbai), Mumbai
- National Institute of Design (NID)
Career Options for Fashion Designer in India
Students who have obtained a degree in Fashion Designing can go for numerous options after a Bachelors or Masters degree in this field. There is a lot of scope for fashion designers in India, some of them even get a chance to intern or work with the top most designers like Rohit Bal, Varun Behl, Raghavendra Rathore, Manish Malhotra, etc.
Not only are Fashion Design graduates hired by top designers, they also can explore opportunities in fashion show corporates, malls, fashion magazines, fashion designing companies, fashion shops, boutiques, film industry, etc. The list of opportunities in this field is endless. Some students also choose to teach in the Fashion line. Some job profiles that you can go for after pursuing fashion designing course are Fashion Designer. Cutting Assistant, Fabric, Quality Control Manager, Production Pattern Maker, Fashion Blogger, Costume Designer, Fashion Show Organiser, Fashion Coordinator, Fashion Journalist and Lecturer.
Top recruiters for Fashion Designers:
- Omega Designs
- Swarovski India
- Orient Craft
- Span India
- Shoppers Stop
- Gokuldas Images
- ITC Ltd.
- Shahi Exports
- Uni Style India
- Madura Garments
Starting salaries of Fashion Designer
Fashion designer: 25,000 monthly to 75,000 monthly (depending on various factors)
Career Options for Textile Designers in India
Textile designers are required in all types of industries. Starting from creative design studios to renowned cloth mills, they all hire textile designers. Skilled and creative textile designers are very much in demand because only a few prove their worth in the market. Many textile designers also chose to work as a freelance designer and earn by putting up their artwork in exhibitions or galleries. Some of the profiles for textile designers in India are Colour Specialists, Printing Supervisors or Managers, Curator, Stylist, In-house Designer, Textile Designer, Fabric Analyser and Fabric Resource Manager.
Top recruiters for Textile Designers:
- Bombay Dyeing
- Grasim Industries
- Reliance Textiles
- Fab India
- Jct Ltd.
- Mysore Silk Factory
- Lakshmi Mills
Starting salaries of Textile Designer
The textile designers get Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 30,000 per month. Their income goes up as and when they grow in their work.
Pursuing either of the courses of Fashion Designing or Textile Designing, you can set easily set your mark in the industry. With proper skills and passion for fashion, you will naturally succeed.