Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) - Course Overview
Duration: 5.0 yrs | Mode: Regular| Avg. Fees: 2,00,000 / Year
424 courses | 438 colleges
About Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
Architecture is the study of the artistic and organisational aspects or construction. B.Arch course is designed in a way that it enables you to learn space management for maximum utility along with architectural planning and design. This field has very less use of core mathematics.
B.Arch is a five-year undergraduate programme that focuses on helping candidates undergo training and theoretical knowledge on the designing aspects of building models of buildings, preparing a construction structure/ blueprint using appropriate techniques and principles. With the advancement in technology and the increasing rate of urbanization, it has become almost mandatory to create structures that can serve the needs of the public in general. Architects are in great demand with respect to the construction of malls, commercial companies, flyovers etc.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) Eligiblity Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: 10+2 or equivalent examination + A candidate should have studied Mathematics as a mandatory subject. Or Class 10th + 3 years of diploma level course education
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% marks at least
B.Arch Admission Process:
- In order to seek admission in the B.Arch course, a candidate is required to appear for the NATA exam - National Aptitude Test for Architecture which is conducted by the Council of Architecture (CoA) to screen candidates for selection.
- Once the NATA exam score is out, states conduct a counselling process where on the basis of a candidate's rank, he/she is allotted a seat in any of the top architecture colleges in India.
- Different states and colleges may also follow a separate admission process.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) Syllabus
|Types of Structures||History of Architecture|
Building Science & Services
|Architectural Design||Building Management|
Theory of Settlement Planning
|Design Applications||Computer & Software Lab|
|Workshop Practice||Building Construction|
Career Options and Job Prospects
After successfully completing the B.Arch degree, one can either look for employment opportunities in order to gain experience or can further pursue an M.Arch degree wherein they can specialise in the field of their choice. The options of M.Arch specilisations would essentially include Environmental Planning, Urban Planning, Housing, Infrastructure Planning etc.
India is moving towards rapid urbanisation and there is a constant need to come up with architectural designs that can accommodate more people in less area. To accomplish this and move towards vertical construction development, there is a need for good architects in India. There are various government as well private organisations that hire architects.
Popular recruiters include:
- Manchanda Associates
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Larsen & Toubro
- Sahara Group
- Architect Consultants
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
After completing B.Arch, graduates can expect a salary of Rs. 2.5 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum. Moreover, with experience, architects can earn more, as high as Rs. 15 lakhs per annum.