The NDA eligibility criteria include requirements related to Nationality, Educational Qualification, Age limit, Gender and Marital Status, Physical and Visual Standards. Candidates planning to appear for the exam can check the details related to NDA eligibility criteria 2020 as given below.
- Be an India/Nepal/Bhutan citizen,
- Could be a Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, to settle permanently.
- Could be a person with Indian origin migrated from Burma, Sri Lanka, Pakistan & East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Such candidates will have to get the certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India.
- In order to participate in NDA (I) 2020, candidates should be between the age limit of 18-23 years, i.e. they should have been born between 2nd July, 1999 and 1st July, 2002, both dates inclusive.
- Those candidates who are born before 2nd July, 1999 and after 1st July, 2002 will not be eligible for NDA (I) 2020 exam.
Gender and Marital Status:
According to NDA eligibility norms fixed by UPSC, only unmarried male candidates are eligible to appear in the examination. Female candidates are not allowed.
- Note 1 - UPSC will consider the DOB mentioned on the matriculation/higher secondary examination certificate or any other equivalent document for age limit proof.
- Note 2 - All candidates should note that they cannot get married until they complete their full training of the course. Any candidate who marries prior to the date of exam will not be shortlisted for training, even if the application was accepted by the commission. A candidate who marries during the training will be discharged and will be liable to refund all expenditure incurred on him by the Government.
The minimum academic qualification required for admission in Indian Army, Navy and Air force wings is as follows:
- Indian Army: Candidates should have passed 12th or its equivalent examination from any recognized board. Candidates appearing for the final exams of 12th standard are also eligible to apply for the exam.
- Indian Navy and Air Force: Candidates seeking admission in Indian Navy and Air force should have passed 12th/appearing from a recognized board or University with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- All the candidates appearing in the examination should be mentally and physically fit as per the medical standards set by National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination 2020.
- UPSC has set the minimum height and weight standards for candidates interested to take admission in Indian Army or Navy.
- The minimum height measurement is 157 cms for Air Force.
- Candidates belonging to Gorkha tribe and hills of North-Eastern areas of India, Garhwal, and Kumaon, minimum height standard will be 5 cms.
- In case of candidates from Lakshadweep, the minimum height can be reduced by 2 cms.
The distance vision should be 6/6 in the better eye (6/9 in worse eye). Myopia should not be more than 2.5 D and hypermetropia not more than 3.5 D including Astigmatism. Internal examination of the eye will be done by means of ophthalmoscope to rule out any disease of the eye. A candidate should have good binocular vision. The color vision standard will be (CP-III) for Army.