- A subject of Nepal, or Bhutan, or he/she has a Tibetan refugee who came to India before 01 January, 1962 for the purpose of permanent settling in India.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Srilanka, Malawi, Zaire, East African, Burma, countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the purpose of permanently settling in India.
Gender and Marital Status:
- For IMA: Candidates born earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st July 2002.
- For Indian Naval Academy: Candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st January 2002.
- For Air Force Academy: Candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st January 2001.
- For Officers' Training Academy (SSC Course for Men): Male candidates who are (unmarried or married) born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2002.
- For Officers' Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course): Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2001.
- I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy: Candidates should have a graduate degree from any recognised University or equivalent.
- Indian Naval Academy: Candidates should have a Graduate Degree in Engineering from a recognised University/Institution.
- Air Force Academy: Candidates should have a Graduate Degree from any recognised University (having Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
- Graduates with the first choice as Navy/Army/Air Force must submit the proof of graduation on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
- Candidates who are pursuing their final year/semester of Degree and are yet to pass the final year degree exams can also apply.
- Candidates who are carrying professional and technical qualifications, which are recognised by government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees, would also be eligible for the examination. They are required to submit passing proof of the degree exams by the prescribed date.