Feb 15, 2016
Mar 09, 2016
Mar 13, 2016
Mar 31, 2016
How to Prepare for UPES-MET 2016
Make a proper Time Table
It is very important that you make a time table and stick to it and you will have an exact idea of what you are required to study and the time required for it.
Concept clarity rather than rote learning
It is essential that you have a clear idea of the formulas and concepts rather than rote learning of things for the papers. While you might require it for memorizing formulas it is important that for other stuff you make sure you clear your basis and concepts before moving on.
It is very important make small notes or a comprehensive list of formulas on each covered topic and chapter which will come in handy at the time of revision. This will require you to be regular with your work but will surely make things easy at the time of revision.
It is not possible for you to know everything in your syllabus, at least not at the time of preparation. Sooner or later you will run into a concept or so which will give you trouble and then it is best you seek guidance from an instructor or a teacher. It is necessary that you clear your doubts at regular intervals and don’t prolong things for long. Getting into a good coaching class is nothing to be ashamed off and if anything a regular coaching class will enable you to avoid roadblocks in your preparation.
Even though there may be a complete change in the exam pattern or the expected questions altogether,it is important that you practice on the sample and previous years question papers. You will know the existing pattern and have a fair idea of the type of questions to expect in the paper along with the time constraint.
The paper pattern , duration of the paper and the number of questions to be attempted in the given amount of time is not something you will be able to pick up on the day of the examination. A Mock Test tests a student’s abilities as it not only provides a similar feel of real exams but also helps in building speed and confident to face the exam. Furthermore, they can improve their performance to get an extra edge in actual exams.
Time management can be learnt through thorough practice and regular test taking. So it is important that you practice it and practice it well.
UPES-MET 2016 Important Instructions
- Click on the link that applies to your status – Indian Resident or Foreign Resident ,Sign up to buy the Admission Prospectus. You will get a display of the Sign Up Form.
- Fill up all the details requested in the Sign Up Form as well as the program that you are interested in.
- Click on the 'Submit' button.
- You will receive an email from UPES on the email id that you have registered in the Sign Up Form.
- Click on the link provided in the email from UPES to verify your email id and activate your account on the UPES website.
- Please proceed to fill up the Application Form on line and follow the instructions given therein.
- After submitting the Application Form, Pay On line by Credit card/ Debit card for UPES Prospectus and Application form.
On line Application Instructions :
- On line form submission facility is applicable only to those candidates who wish to apply and pay on line by Credit Card/ Debit Card
- Please do not submit your application until you have entered required details in all the information fields of the application form.
- If you have a scanned passport size photograph, you can upload the photograph while applying on line.
- While, applying on line, do not use the 'Back' button on the tool bar of your browser. Use the links and buttons available on the page to move from one page to another
- After completing the submission process successfully, you must take a print-out of the completed application form for your reference.
On successful submission of your on line application form, you will get an on line application number. Please retain this form number carefully for future reference.
1) How was UPES sponsored ?
UPES is sponsored by Hydrocarbons Education & Research Society (HERS) which is registered under the “Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860” (Registration No. S-41894 of 2002). HERS is a not-for-profit society promoted by a group of prominent professionals from the Industry.
2) UPES-MET is conducted by whom ?
University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun conducts UPES-MET as an entrance exam for taking admission to two year Master of Business Administration (MBA) program in Petroleum & Energy Studies
3) How do we apply for the UPES-MET ?
- You have to apply online to appear for the UPES-MET.
- You can also purchase Prospectus & Application form by Demand Draft / Cash.
- Candidates can collect UPES Prospectus & Application form by sending a demand draft in favour of "UPES Fee Account", payable at New Delhi / Dehradun alongwith request letter or by Cash payment from admission counters at Ahmedabad / Chandigarh/ Delhi / Dehradun / Hyderabad / Kolkata / Mumbai.
4) What is the fee to appear for the UPES-MET ?
The fee to appear for the UPES-MET is Rs. 1750/- by Cash & Rs.1850 by Demand Draft.
5) How do we make payment of the fee ?
- Online form submission facility is applicable only to those candidates who wish to apply and pay online by Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking
- Demand Draft (DD) – For purchasing the UPES Prospectus and Application Form, the candidates can draw a DD of Rs. 1850/- in favour of “UPES Fee Account” payable at New Delhi.
- Cash – The candidates can also purchase the Prospectus and Application Form for UPES MET from the admission counters at Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Dehradun, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai. To purchase, the candidates are required to make a cash payment of Rs. 1750/- .
6) Where do we send the demand draft ?
The candidates must send the DD to the following address:
University of Petroleum & Energy Studies
Enrollment Office, 210, 2nd Floor
Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase III
New Delhi 110020.
7) How do we know whether our application has been received and accepted ?
An email will be sent to you once we receive the payment to appear for the UPES-MET.
8) When is it conducted ?
It is usually conducted in the month of Feburary. This year, the entrance test is being conducted on last week of febuary.
9) Where will the exam centres be formed for the exam ?
The test will be conducted at 29 cities.
10) When will I get my Admit Card ?
Admit card will be available for view and print in the First week of March(onwards). You will have to log onto the JGU website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission from website .
11) What details will be mentioned in the Admit Card ?
The admit card will contain the following details: Name of the candidate Test date Test City & Centre address User ID / Registration Number PWD/DA status.
12) Do you have spot registration on the day of exam ?
No, you cannot make a spot registration on the day of exam.
13) Could I Submission of Application Form through On line ?
Yes ,you can Submitted the Application Form through On line.
14) If I miss the test, can I take it up on another day without paying for the test ?
No, you are not allowed.
15) If I miss the test on the scheduled date, will I be eligible for a refund?
No. you are not allowed.
16) What is the mode of conduction of UPES- MET Exam ?
offline or Pen and paper based test.
17) What will be the medium of Online UPES- MET examination ?
Medium of examination is English.
18) What are the various Eligibility Norms of Non Examination Pathway UPES-MET Programme ?
ADMISSION TO UPES MBA PROGRAMS ARE OPEN THROUGH TWO PATHWAYS:
1.Non Examination Pathway – MBA admissions through National Level Tests - CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT/NMAT.
2.Examination Pathway – MBA admissions through UPESMET.
- SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES THROUGH EITHER OF THE 2 PATHWAYS HAVE TO ATTEND GROUP DISCUSSION & INTERVIEW PROCESS FOR ADMISSION INTO A UPES MBA PROGRAM.
1. NON EXAMINATION PATHWAY – MBA ADMISSIONS THROUGH NATIONAL LEVEL TESTS - CAT/MAT/ XAT/CMAT/NMAT.
2. EXAMINATION PATHWAY – ADMISSIONS THROUGH UPES MANAGEMENT ENTRANCE TEST (UPESMET)
- Candidates whose CAT/ XAT/ MAT/CMAT scores do not meet above-mentioned criteria, but they still have minimum 50% marks in Class 10th and Class 12th and in graduation, can seek admission to UPES MBA programs by taking the UPES Management Entrance Test (UPES MET).
19) What is maximum Age Eligibility Criteria ?
There is no upper or lower age limit.
20) Will there be any negative marking ?
Yes, 0.25 mark for every wrong answer.
21) Will I get sheets/papers for rough work/calculations etc for UPES-MET ?
Yes, but no electronic devices are allowed in examination hall/room.
22) Is there any special arrangement for Persons with Disability for UPES-MET ?
Yes. Need based assistance shall be provided to the PWD candidates.
23) When are UPES-MET Results Out ?
Results will be available on the website last week of March.
24) When will I get the Score card ?
The candidates will receive the score card last week of March..
25) For how long is the UPES-MET score valid ?
TheUPES-MET score is valid for just one year.
26) Where are UPES courses offered ?
The University courses are offered at Dehradun (Uttarakhand) .
27) How has the University been created? Does it belong to the Uttarakhand State Govt./MoPNG/Oil Companies ?
UPES has been created under an Act of Uttarakhand State Legislature notified vide Government of Uttarakhand Notification No. 830/Higher Education/2003-3(18)/2003 dated September 1, 2003. However, the Governor of Uttarakhand is the Visitor of the University and the Principal Secretary, Higher Education; Govt. of Uttarakhand is the “Representative” of the State Government on various Boards of the university.
28) Has UPES been approved by AICTE? Is there any such requirement ?
Under the AICTE Act and its subsequent Regulations, Universities established under a State or Central Act in accordance with Section 2(f) and 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, do not require AICTE approval. However, the Universities are only required to maintain AICTE norms and standards and require no prior approval of AICTE for starting Technical & Professional courses.
This has also been clarified by the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s judgment in the case of Bharathidasan University v/s AICTE wherein the Court had ruled that:
“it is not mandatory for a University, created under an Act, to seek & secure prior approval of the AICTE to start a department for imparting a course or program in technical education or a technical institution as an adjunct to the University itself to conduct technical courses of its choice & selection. The Bench also said that the definition of technical institution excludes from its purview a university, and when by definition a university is excluded from a technical institution, to interpret that such a clause or such an expression, wherever the expression technical institution occurs, will include a university will be reading into the Act what is not provided therein”.
29) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources ?
UPES is a self funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
30) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources?
UPES is a self-funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
31) Will the degree awarded by UPES carry emblem of UGC or any other body?
The degrees awarded by the University do not bear the emblem of either UGC or any other body.
32) What is UPES placement track record? Does a public sector company insist on AICTE approval ?
The University has excellent placement track. The campus placements since inception have ranged between 75% to 98.3%. For details, visit official website As explained under Q1, the Universities do not require AICTE approval for starting technical courses. Generally, the Industry goes by the reputation and credibility of UPES while making campus recruitment.
33) Placements are done only through campus ? Do these companies follow their normal recruitment process or have a specially designed format for UPES ?
Yes, placements are done through campus recruitment. The recruiting companies for campus placements follow their standard selection procedures.
34) Will I get a bank loan to pursue my education at UPES? Is UPES has any tie-up with nationalized / private bank?
For the convenience and benefit of the prospective students of UPES, a formal tie-up is in place with India leading nationalized bank, State Bank of India & Oriental Bank of Commerce. The student can cover all his/her expenses e.g. Course Fee, Hostel etc., while applying for loan.
35) Are there any RESERVATIONS/ QUOTA of seats for seeking admission at UPES ?
No Reservations/ quota exist for taking admissions to any course at UPES.