Sep 01, 2014
Dec 29, 2014
Feb 07, 2015
Mar 19, 2015
How to Prepare for GATE 2015
Make a proper Time Table
It is very important that you make a time table and stick to it and you will have an exact idea of what you are required to study and the time required for it.
Concept clarity rather than rote learning
It is essential that you have a clear idea of the formulas and concepts rather than rote learning of things for the papers. While you might require it for memorizing formulas it is important that for other stuff you make sure you clear your basis and concepts before moving on.
It is very important make small notes or a comprehensive list of formulas on each covered topic and chapter which will come in handy at the time of revision. This will require you to be regular with your work but will surely make things easy at the time of revision.
It is not possible for you to know everything in your syllabus, at least not at the time of preparation. Sooner or later you will run into a concept or so which will give you trouble and then it is best you seek guidance from an instructor or a teacher. It is necessary that you clear your doubts at regular intervals and don’t prolong things for long. Getting into a good coaching class is nothing to be ashamed off and if anything a regular coaching class will enable you to avoid roadblocks in your preparation.
Even though there may be a complete change in the exam pattern or the expected questions altogether,it is important that you practice on the sample and previous years question papers available for the engineering exam you’d be attempting. You will know the existing pattern and have a fair idea of the type of questions to expect in the paper along with the time constraint.
The paper pattern, duration of the paper and the number of questions to be attempted in the given amount of time is not something you will be able to pick up on the day of the examination. A Mock Test tests a student’s abilities as it not only provides a similar feel of real exams but also helps in building speed and confident to face the exam. Furthermore, they can improve their performance to get an extra edge in actual exams. Try to build up an Engineering Entrance Exam Test Prep MCQ Question Bank
Time management can be learnt through thorough practice and regular test taking. So it is important that you practice it and practice it well.
Most the entrance examinations will have negative marking and everyone would suggest you stay clear of questions are not sure about. But some experts are of the opinion that you answer the questions in which you are confused between an option or two because there will also be a chance of getting it right.
GATE 2015 Important Instructions
Filling in Application Online 1. GOAPS: GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS website) has the web address http://appsgate.iisc.ernet.in It can also be accessed from the website of the respective Zonal GATE Offices or from the website of the GATE 2016 Organizing Institute. 2. Registration: A candidate must first register by providing a valid email address, mobile number and a GOAPS password. All communications from the GATE Offices will be sent to this email address (ONLY ONE PERSON CAN REGISTER WITH ONE e-mail ADDRESS). Give your personal mobile number because most of the communications may also be sent via SMS. GOAPS Password: The candidate chooses a password during Enrollment at GOAPS. This password must be remembered along with the GOAPS Enrolment ID to login to GOAPS. It is strongly encouraged to choose a password that cannot be guessed easily (it should not be the candidate’s name, date of birth, or some easily guessable string of numbers or letters like 12345 or abcd). 3. GOAPS Enrollment ID: Upon registration, an email containing the GOAPS Enrolment ID will be sent to the candidate. 4. Data Requirement for Application Filling: The following data will be required while filling the form at GOAPS. a) Personal information (name, date of birth, your personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, etc.). b) Address for Communication (including PIN code), c) Eligibility degree details 13 d) College address, PIN code of college, e) GATE paper, choice of GATE examination cities, f) High quality image of your photograph conforming to the requirements specified in along with what type of photograph is accepted . g) Good quality image of your signature conforming to the requirements specified in h) Scanned copy of Degree Certificate or Certificate from Principal/HODs in pdf format. i) Scanned copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format. j) Details of a valid ID Proof that you will carry to the examination hall. k) Your net-banking details. 5. Application Filling: The GOAPS allows you to enter data, “Save” partially filled form, “Logout”, and resume filling in by logging in again. The GOAPS portal is self-explanatory and user-friendly. Online help about using GOAPS is also available. 6. Before you make the payment, you will be shown a “Preview” of your application, where you have to carefully check for any errors. 7. Once you press “Confirm and Final Submit” button, no further changes to the application can be made by you. 8. For online payment follow the instructions given in Section for payment options. 9. Problems in Login into GOAPS –In case of forgotten user ID or password, follow instructions on the GOPAS portal to retrieve them.
1) What is GATE?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India Examination conducted by the seven Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, on behalf of the National Coordinating Board – GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
2) Where can I apply ONLINE for GATE?
Refer to Gate online application procedure and by visiting the Offical website.
Also, refer https://www.collegedekho.com/preview/exams/application-process-gate-2017/ for steps to be followed.
3) What is the Date and Time of GATE Exam?
GATE is usually held on weekends starting from last week of January or 1st week of February. There could be multiple sessions for some of the streams. Forenoon session would be usually conducted at 9am to 12 Noon and Afternoon Session will be conducted at 2pm to 5pm.
GATE 2017 Examination Schedule:-
|Date & Day||Session No.||Time (IST)||Test Paper Code|
|4th February 2017 (Saturday)||1||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||ME, AR, TF|
|2||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||ME, AG, GG|
|5th February 2017 (Sunday)||3||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||EC, BT, CY, EY, PI|
|4||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||EC, AE, MA, MT, PE, PH|
|11th February 2017 (Saturday)||5||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||CS, EE|
|6||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||CS, EE|
|12th February 2017 (Sunday)||7||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||CE, CH, MN|
|8||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||CE, IN, XE, XL|
4) If I want the Online Payment (Netbanking) option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Online Payment option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
1.Your browser screen will re-directed to the bank you choose. Login with your internet banking credentials and confirm the payment.
2.After confirming the payment, you will be re-directed back to GATE application website.
3. At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
a)Page 1: Instructions and Address slip (of where you need to send the hard copy) to be pasted on an A4 sized envelope
b)Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal. One copy for the candidate and another to be sent to GATE office.
4.Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link .
5) Can I use one e-mail address to fill multiple application forms?
NO, one e-mail address can be used to submit only one application form.
6) Whatever I do I’m not able to upload my signature. I’m following all the instructions and criteria specified. How do I do?
Please check again the format you are trying to upload as well as the size.
7) How will I know if my photograph is acceptable or not?
During scrutiny of your application IIT Roorkee will check your photo. If the photo you have uploaded is not acceptable then you will get an email/SMS. You can then correct the photograph and other details as requested.
8) I have paid twice. What should I do to get reimbursement for the extra payment?
You don’t have to do anything. Contact IIT Roorkee only if you do not get refund by October 31.
9) I have made a payment. Money has been deducted from my account, but still GOAPS still asks me to make a payment. What should I do?
Do nothing. GOAPS will reflect your payment in three working days. IN case the payment is received by IIT, they will contact you about it.
10) I have paid the application fees but bank charges have not been deducted. Should I contact the authorities and find out?
Please don’t worry if you have made the payment successfully. It will be reflected shortly.
11) I completed my profile and proceeded to make payment, it’s showing secured connection failed.
Please wait and try again later to complete your transaction.
12) Where is the option for paying through E-Challan?
Please proceed to payment window. E-challan is available there. Download and print it. Pay it at the nearest SBI branch. You need not send the printout or the challan to IIT after payment but please safe keep it with you for future reference.
13) Can I change my mobile No or Email ID after I have submitted my GATE Application Form?
No. The Mobile number, Email ID, Exam Paper and caste certificate cannot be changed after the submission of the GATE application form.
14) While filling the application I have made some Mistakes. How do I correct them?
Except for Mobile No, Email ID, GATE Exam Paper & Caste Certificate, any other corrections may be allowed. For that candidates have to send IIT Roorkee a mail with their Enrolment ID along with a document showing the correct information. The website will be enabled to accept the corrections indicated. All candidates who have requested for such changes will be informed by email/SMS once this option has been enabled.
15) Can I change my GATE Exam City after submission of my GATE Application Form?
Requests for change of examination city will be accepted till November 20 with a fee of Rs. 400/-(four hundred only) to be paid online using GOAPS.
16) I have selected a wrong paper, e.g., I have selected PH in my GATE application and actually want to write PE. What should I do?
File a new application with a new email address (mobile number can be same) and choose the correct paper for examination. Please note that no refund will be made for the incorrect application.
17) I want to change my category in my GATE Application Form. What should I do?
Yes, you can change the category. For change from GN/ OBC to SC/ ST -send an email to your Zonal GATE Office. Changes will be done with no refund of application fee.
For change from SC/ ST to GN/ OBC, the procedure will be notified later.
18) I want to make a change in my gender in the GATE Application Form. What should I do?
- For change from Male/ other to Female, you can send an email to your Zonal GATE Office. Changes will be done with no refund.
- For change from Female to Male/ other, the procedure will be notified later.
19) Guardian name is appearing as parent’s name in the application. What to do?
Please don’t worry. The name will be recorded correctly in the database. It is always mentioned as Parent’s / Guardian’s name.
20) what can i do in case of College address appears blank in the Application Form?
Not to worry. A mail will be received from IIT asking for college details if needed. Send a mail to IIT Roorkee if your college address is completely missing in admit card.
21) Why should I choose two examination cities?
Generally, you will be allotted a centre in the examination city of your first choice. Only in cases where it becomes difficult to accommodate you in the examination city of your first choice, your second choice will be considered.
22) My power/internet connection failed during application process, what do I do?
If you have clicked on “Save” during application process, the data you entered up to that time has been stored online. Simply login back to the GATE application website and continue the application process.
23) You are asking only the SC/ST/PD candidates to enclose the category certificate. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to enclose the category certificate too?
NO. OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates do not have to enclose the category certificate since their application fee is same as that of the general category candidates. However, in the application, you can indicate the category to which you belong to. You need to produce the category certificate only to the admitting institute at the time of admission.
24) How do I make the fee payment for GATE examination?
You can make the payment during the ONLINE application process by choosing one of the following options:
- Online Payment: Netbanking through the payment gateway.
- Challan Payment: Payment by cash at any branch of Canara Bank or State Bank of India.
25) I want to pay online by my credit/debit card, but I don’t see that option!
You can only use internet banking (netbanking) facilities for online payment. Credit /debit cards will not be accepted.
26) My net banking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back ?
This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Please check your bank account after 48 hours. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE from this account will automatically be returned back (credited) to the same bank account.
27) My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
This happened because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). As soon as possible, you MUST initiate a fresh payment process on the GATE application website, and make the payment again. The money that was debited (taken out) from your account the first time, will be credited (put back) to your bank account within 48 hours. You will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
28) If I want the Bank Challan option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling in all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Bank Challan option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
1.At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
a)Page 1: Instructions and Address slip where you need to send hard copy.
b)Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal.
c)Page 4: page for candidates who select “bank challan” way of payment (as against the net banking). This page will contain 3 copies of challan.
4.Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link .
29) Do I have to send the printout of the application form?
YES. At the end of the Application process a PDF file of the application is generated. You have to affix your photograph, signature and enclose other documents along with this print out and send to the concerned GATE office. This is REQUIRED in addition to the uploading of the image files.
30) I have attached the documents online, do I have to send the hard copy as well ?
No, you need not submit the hard copy of supporting documents to GATE office.
31) Should I attest the photograph for application form?
NO. Photographs must not be attested application form or uploading. You must bring a valid photo ID card to the examination center.
32) When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging in at the GATE Online Applicant website.
33) After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps upto PDF application form generation in ONLINE application process, you can only download the application form and cannot modify the data. Hence you need to be very careful while entering the data. You may also save a partially filled application and login in again at a later point in time to complete and submit the application.
34) Which identification card numbers shall be accepted in application form?
Only numbers of the following identification cards shall be accepted: Passport, PAN card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, college ID, Employee Identification Card for Indian candidates and For International candidates, ONLY a valid Passport/ Government issued ID/College ID/ Employee ID/Driving License shall be accepted as the recognized identification.
35) Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
- NO. The Admit Card has to be brought to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification, whose details have been entered while filling the application.
- ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, valid College ID, Employee Identification Card or driving License.
- Candidates will not be permitted to take the exam if the original and valid photo identification is not presented.
36) For how many GATE papers can I apply?
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 23 papers listed in the GATE INFORMATION BROCHURE or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below.
1. The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
2.The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
37) My College Address is blank in my GATE Admit Card.
Please mail IIT immediately with a copy of the Admit Card.
38) My photograph is blurred in the GATE 2016 Admit Card. What to do?
Mail IIT immediately with a copy of the admit card.
39) Will there be any provision for keeping my bag or things like mobile at the exam centre?
No, the GATE authorities will not be making any such arrangements. Candidates will be carrying these things at their risk.
40) GATE exam is online or offline ?
GATE exam for all the papers will carried out in an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) mode.
41) What are the eligibility criteria for appearing in GATE?
The following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE:
- Bachelor”s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy and those who are in the final or pre- final year of such programs.
- Master”s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or penultimate year of such programs.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master”s degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master”s degree program and Dual Degree program in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examination conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
- If a candidate appears for GATE twice which score will be considered?
- The higher score you have secured of the two will be considered automatically once you fill-up the form.
42) What is the structure of the Examination?
The GATE examination consists of a single paper of 3 hours duration, which contains 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks. The question paper will consist of only multiple choice objective questions. Each question will have four choices for the answer. The examination for the papers with codes TF and MN will be carried out ONLINE using computers where the candidates will be required to select the correct choice from among the four provided options. For all other papers, the candidates will have to mark the correct choice on an Optical Response Sheet (ORS) by darkening the appropriate bubble against each question. There will be negative marking for each wrong answer.
43) Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the test?
A scribble pad will be provided to the candidate that can be used to do the rough work. The candidate has to return the scribble pad after the examination.
44) Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test?
NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. Candidates are allowed to leave the computer laboratory where the exam will be conducted only after the closure of the test at the scheduled end of examination in a session.
45) What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Only admit card, identification card and a pen shall be permitted to be taken by the candidate to be taken inside the examination hall. A simple wrist watch without any calculation device is permissible.
46) Can I use a physical calculator during the examination?
NO. During the online GATE examination, all candidates will be provided with a virtual scientific calculator which has to be used to answer the questions. No physical calculator will be allowed inside the examination hall.
- The same applies to mobile phones and wrist watches with calculation facility. GATE will not provide any storage space at examination locations for such objects.
- If a candidate brings personal belongings including mobile phones, those will have to be kept outside the examination hall at the candidate’s risk.
- If the candidate is found to be in possession (even if not using) of any calculator and mobile phone and wrist watch with calculation facility, he/she shall be disqualified and the result shall not be declared for the candidate.
47) Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
NO. Such arrangements will not be possible at the test center.
48) What happens if a physical calculator (even on an electronic watch) or a mobile phone (even in switched off mode) is found in my possession in the examination hall?
Such cases will naturally constitute violation of GATE rules and will lead to disqualification of the candidature. All such candidates were disqualified in GATE .
49) I had passed my B-Tech successfully. I am pursuing in M-Tech, can i apply for GATE?
Yes you can. You will have to mention the B.Tech details in your GATE Application Form.
50) I have passed in 2016 but I have a backlog. Can I apply for gate ?
Yes you can. You will need to clear the backlog by August 2017 to be able to apply for admissions.
51) I have passed my degree in 2015. I don’t have my degree certificate but I have Provisional Certificate. Will that be enough?
Yes, you can apply for GATE using any one of the following: degree certificate / provisional certificate / course completion certificate / professional ceritificate / membership certificate issued by the society or institute.
52) I have passed my B.Tech with 50%. Am I eligible for GATE ?
Yes, as GATE does not have specific pass percentage criteria though you might have to see for admissions and PSUs. Most IITs require 60% and above in degree. Same with PSUs but you can apply to IIT Roorkee. They take candidates with a second class for M.Tech provided they get valid GATE scores.
53) How many times can I appear for GATE? What is the age limit?
There is no specification for the number of attempts and there is no age limit also.
54) I have completed my graduation through distance learning. Can I apply for GATE ?
Yes you can. There is no specification about the mode of learning (distance or open university) but the course must be recognised by AICTE for candidates to be eligible for admissions.
55) I have completed my Post graduation. Can I appear for GATE ? What should I upload under certificates?
If a candidate is pursuing any higher degree or already obtained a degree higher than that mentioned in the above table, then the candidate can select the relevant minimum required qualifying degree while filling the application form.
56) I passed out in 2015 but I have a backlog. Can I apply for GATE ?
No, the backlog provision is only for students who have passed in 2016. It is suggested, you clear the backlog ad apply next year as there is no restriction on age or number of attempts for GATE.
57) I have chosen category as OBC, but there is no option to upload the certificate. What to do?
The OBC Certificate is not required to be uploaded. OBC certificate is required only while taking the admission using the GATE score.
58) I have graduated in 2016 but I don’t have my degree certificate or provisional certificate. What document should I Upload for eligibility criteria?
Please upload a Copy of your final year marks sheet
Upload a declaration from your college Principal (or other competent authority) along with the signature and seal.
59) When is GATE results out?
Results will be available on the website by Last week of March.
60) For how many years GATE score card is valid ?
GATE score card is valid for 3 years.
61) How is the GATE percentile calculated and what is the GATE Score Card?
a)Scorecard will be sent only to the qualified candidates. No information will be sent to
b)Candidates who did not qualify.
c)The GATE score card is a valuable document. Care should be taken to preserve it. Additional Score Cards, (up to a maximum of two) will be issued on payment just once.
d)The Score Card cannot be treated as a proof of category.
e)The score card of the Qualified Candidates will include GATE Score, Percentile Score and Rank.
62) Can I use this GATE score card for getting admission into any college/university/institute ? If yes then till what year ?
- Yes, Most of the colleges/universities/institutes accept GATE score card. Few organize their own competitive examination and also accept GATE score card. Few organize their own competitive examination and provide admission to the students on the basis of that score card only.
- GATE 2017 score card would be valid for a candidate till 2019.
63) Can I use this GATE score card against PSUs recruitment ? If yea then till what year ?
- Yes, You can use this GATE score card against PSUs recruitment. Almost all PSUs accept GATE score card of current year for current year recruitment.
- So, GATE score card would be valid only for PSUs recruiting through GATE .
64) Am I eligible for getting admission into any colleges/universities/institutes, If I clear cut-off of GATE exam of my stream ?
First, Clearing GATE exam cut-off doesn’t make you eligible for getting admission into any colleges/universities/institutes. You must first clear GATE cut-off then particular colleges/universities/institutes cut-off separately.
65) Is my GATE score card valid, If I apply GATE exam in different branch ?
- Your GATE score card would be valid for few courses if you use this score card for getting admission into colleges/universities/institutes.
- Your GATE score card would be not be valid for almost all PSUs if you use this score card for getting job/interview call from PSUs.
66) If I qualify in gate exam this year then can I apply next time for gate exam again ?
There is no limit in number of attempt in GATE exam. You can apply for GATE exam as many times as you wish.
67) What are the different sites for IITs and IISc?
- IISc Bangalore
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Madras
- IIT Roorkee.
68) Can you tell us something about self financing & sponsorship in GATE?
- Some institutions specify GATE qualification as mandatory even for admission of self-financing students to postgraduate programmes.
- GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects. Top rank holders in some GATE papers are entitled to apply for “Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Fellowship” awarded by CSIR. Some government organizations prescribe GATE qualification as a requirement for applying to the post of a Scientist/ Engineer.
69) Can you provide with the last 10 year’s list of IIT’s and IISc conducting GATE?
Please find below the list.
- GATE 2011 IIT Chennai
- GATE 2010 IIT Guwahati
- GATE 2009 IIT Roorkee
- GATE 2008 IISc
- GATE 2007 IIT Kanpur
- GATE 2006 IIT Kharagpur
- GATE 2005 IIT Bombay
- GATE 2004 IIT Delhi
- GATE 2003 IIT Madras
- GATE 2002 IISc Banglore.
70) What is the ranking of the various engineering colleges for ME/M Tech?
Unlike other disciplines, where there are various institutions and publications who come up with their rankings, the same for ME/ M Tech is not available. Ranking also becomes difficult because these institutions are highly technical and research oriented. But there is a ranking by SCOPUS database based on the number of research publications by these institutions and number of citations received by the same. The rankings are:
- IISc, Bangalore
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Madras
- Jadavpur University
- Anna University I
- IT rourkee
- Cochin University of science and technology
- IIT Guwahati
- College of Engineering, Anna University
- Bengal Engineering and Science University, Howrah
- IT BHU, Varanasi
- BITS, pilani(SCOPUS database is the largest abstract and citation database of research literature and quality web sources. SCOPUS covers nearly 18,000 titles from more than 5,000 publishers.