Sep 01, 2016
Jan 05, 2017
Feb 04, 2017
Mar 27, 2017
GATE 2017 - Counselling Updates
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee conducts GATE for the admission to M.Tech programme. Here is the detailed information about the selection procedure and counselling process.
Selection Procedure: -
- Selection for the M.Tech programmes offered by the university is done on the basis of score secured by a you in the entrance exam.
- After the evaluation of the answers, the raw marks obtained by a you will be converted to a normalized GATE Score.
- Admission will be made on the basis of either Normalized GATE marks only or Normalized GATE marks and Interview/Written Test.
- The GATE score will be computed using the formula given below.
Calculation of Normalized Marks for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers (multi-session papers)
- In GATE , examination for some papers may be conducted in multi- sessions. Hence, for these papers, a suitable normalization is applied to take into account any variation in the difficulty levels of the question papers across different sessions.
- The normalization is done based on the fundamental assumption that "in all multi-session GATE papers, the distribution of abilities of candidates is the same across all the sessions". This assumption is justified since the number of candidates appearing in multi-session papers in GATE is large and the procedure of allocation of session to candidates is random. Further it is also ensured that for the same multi-session paper, the number of candidates allotted in each session is of the same order of magnitude.
- Based on the above, and considering various normalization methods, the committee arrived at the following formula for calculating the normalized marks for the multi-session papers.
Normalized Mark of jth candidate in ith session M^ ij is given by:
Mij is the actual marks obtained by the jth you in ith session
M?gt is the average marks of the top 0.1% of the you considering all sessions
Mgq is the sum of mean and standard deviation marks of the candidates in the paper considering all sessions
M?ti is the average marks of the top 0.1% of the you in the ith session
Miq is the sum of the mean marks and standard deviation of the ith session
- After evaluation of the answers, normalized marks based on the above formula will be calculated corresponding to the raw marks obtained by you and the GATE Score will be calculated based on the normalized marks.
- For all papers for which there is only one session, actual marks obtained will be used for calculating the GATE Score.
- Calculation of GATE Score for all papers
GATE score will be calculated using the formula:-
In the above formulae
M= marks obtained by the candidate (actual marks for single session papers and normalized marks for multi-session papers)
Mq= is the qualifying marks for general category candidate in the paper
M?ti = is the mean of marks of top 0.1% or top 10 (whichever is larger) of the candidates who appeared in the paper (in case of multi-session papers including all sessions)
Sq= 350, is the score assigned to Mq
St= 900, is the score assigned to M?t
- In the GATE score formula, Mq is usually 25 marks (out of 100) or μ+σ, whichever is larger. Here μ is the mean and σ is the standard deviation of marks of all the candidates who appeared in the paper.
After the declaration of results, GATE Scorecards can be downloaded by
- All SC/ST/PwD candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of SC/ST/PwD candidates in their respective papers, and
- All other candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of OBC (NCL) candidates in their respective papers.
- There is no provision for the issue of hard copies of the GATE Scorecards.
The GATE Committee has the authority to decide the qualifying mark/score for each GATE paper. In case any claim or dispute arises in respect of GATE , the Courts and Tribunals in Roorkee alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such dispute or claim.
- IITs also conducted their own counselling procedure. Below we have mentioned step by step information on Gate counselling procedure so that you can follow it and complete their GATE Counselling .
- The IITs and IIITs will declare a notification regarding to counselling, who meet the institution qualification criteria can apply for the notification.
- On the basis of the GATE score card and academics performance will be taken into consideration.
- After that you will be called for the interviews or GD Test.
- The seat will be allotted to you on the premises of your performance in GATE test.
- GATE Score Card
- Engineering Academic Record (Mark sheets)
- Receipt of the Registration/Application Fee
- PwD category certificate
- SC/ST certificate
- ID proof
- Original mark sheet of 10th and 12th.