Sep 01, 2016
Jan 05, 2017
Feb 04, 2017
Mar 27, 2017
GATE 2017 - Application Steps
Eligibility for GATE 2017
Before starting the application process, the candidate must ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria of GATE given in the following table:
Table: Minimum Eligibility Criteria for GATE
Qualifying Degree/Examination (Descriptive)
Description of Eligible candidates
Year of Qualification cannot be later than
Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc/ Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
Currently in the final year or
Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (Five years course)
Currently in the final year or
B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.
Bachelor’s degree in Science(Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)
Currently in the 4th year or
M. Sc./M.A./MCA or equivalent
Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics / Statistics / Computer Applications or equivalent
Currently in the final year or
Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (Four-year program)
Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4thyear or
Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree(after Diploma or 10+2)
Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering / Technology (Five-year program)
Currently in the 4th/5th year or
Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.
Integrated M.Sc. or Five years integrated B.S.-M.S. program
Currently in the final year or
Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)
B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)
Completed section A or the equivalent of
such professional courses
Candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab
Emirates must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree in
Engineering/Technology or Postgraduate (M.Sc.) degree in any relevant science
Note: Eligibility criteria certificate as applicable shall only be uploaded in an application and NOT to be sent by post. If a candidate is pursuing any higher degree or already obtained a degree higher than that mentioned in the above table, completion certificate then the candidate can select the minimum required qualifying degree while filling the application form. In case, a candidate has completed one of the qualifying examinations as mentioned above in 2016 or earlier, he/she has to submit the degree certificate/provisional degree completion certificate/membership certificate issued by the society or institute. In case, the candidate is expected to complete one of the qualifying criteria in 2017 or later as mentioned above, he/she has to upload a Provisional Certificate Letter (issued by the Head of Institute/Dean/Registrar/Head of Department) or a copy of marks card for section A of AMIE etc. Candidates with a backlog (arrears/failed subjects) in any of the papers in their qualifying degree should upload a copy of any of the mark sheet of the final year issued from the Institute where studying. Internet downloaded mark sheet shall not be accepted.
Age- No age limit.
GATE 2017 Important Instructions
- Examinations for all the 23 papers (disciplines) will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). A candidate can appear only in any one paper of the GATE examination.
- The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed-in by the candidate using the virtual keypad.
- Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
- You will be allowed to use ONLY the virtual (on-screen) calculator to be provided by GATE.
- Physical calculator, mobile phone, and wrist watches with calculation facility are strictly prohibited and candidates possessing these in the examination hall (even if not using) shall be considered disqualified.
- Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
- You have to appear at the GATE Examination Center on the specified date and time in the admit card. No request for any change in Center and/or Date/Time shall be entertained. Similarly, this being an examination body with certain constraints, those of you who need very special or specific facility for the exam, may not be entertained.
- For GATE, the entire process of filling up of an application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc., shall be online only and you should not send any hard copy of his/her application form/documents etc., to IITR or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
- The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode; online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
- The admit cards for GATE would be available through the online process only. You can download your admit card from GATE website.
GATE Application FAQ
1) What is GATE?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India Examination conducted by the seven Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, on behalf of the National Coordinating Board – GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
2) Where can I apply ONLINE for GATE?
Refer to Gate online application procedure and by visiting the Offical website.
Also, refer https://www.collegedekho.com/preview/exams/application-process-gate-2017/ for steps to be followed.
3) What is the Date and Time of GATE Exam?
GATE is usually held on weekends starting from last week of January or 1st week of February. There could be multiple sessions for some of the streams. Forenoon session would be usually conducted at 9am to 12 Noon and Afternoon Session will be conducted at 2pm to 5pm.
GATE 2017 Examination Schedule:-
|Date & Day||Session No.||Time (IST)||Test Paper Code|
|4th February 2017 (Saturday)||1||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||ME, AR, TF|
|2||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||ME, AG, GG|
|5th February 2017 (Sunday)||3||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||EC, BT, CY, EY, PI|
|4||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||EC, AE, MA, MT, PE, PH|
|11th February 2017 (Saturday)||5||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||CS, EE|
|6||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||CS, EE|
|12th February 2017 (Sunday)||7||09:00 – 12.00 Hrs. (Forenoon)||CE, CH, MN|
|8||14:00 – 17:00 Hrs. (Afternoon)||CE, IN, XE, XL|
4) If I want the Online Payment (Netbanking) option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Online Payment option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
1.Your browser screen will re-directed to the bank you choose. Login with your internet banking credentials and confirm the payment.
2.After confirming the payment, you will be re-directed back to GATE application website.
3. At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
a)Page 1: Instructions and Address slip (of where you need to send the hard copy) to be pasted on an A4 sized envelope
b)Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal. One copy for the candidate and another to be sent to GATE office.
4.Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link .
5) Can I use one e-mail address to fill multiple application forms?
NO, one e-mail address can be used to submit only one application form.
6) Whatever I do I’m not able to upload my signature. I’m following all the instructions and criteria specified. How do I do?
Please check again the format you are trying to upload as well as the size.
7) How will I know if my photograph is acceptable or not?
During scrutiny of your application IIT Roorkee will check your photo. If the photo you have uploaded is not acceptable then you will get an email/SMS. You can then correct the photograph and other details as requested.
8) I have paid twice. What should I do to get reimbursement for the extra payment?
You don’t have to do anything. Contact IIT Roorkee only if you do not get refund by October 31.
9) I have made a payment. Money has been deducted from my account, but still GOAPS still asks me to make a payment. What should I do?
Do nothing. GOAPS will reflect your payment in three working days. IN case the payment is received by IIT, they will contact you about it.
10) I have paid the application fees but bank charges have not been deducted. Should I contact the authorities and find out?
Please don’t worry if you have made the payment successfully. It will be reflected shortly.
11) I completed my profile and proceeded to make payment, it’s showing secured connection failed.
Please wait and try again later to complete your transaction.
12) Where is the option for paying through E-Challan?
Please proceed to payment window. E-challan is available there. Download and print it. Pay it at the nearest SBI branch. You need not send the printout or the challan to IIT after payment but please safe keep it with you for future reference.
13) Can I change my mobile No or Email ID after I have submitted my GATE Application Form?
No. The Mobile number, Email ID, Exam Paper and caste certificate cannot be changed after the submission of the GATE application form.
14) While filling the application I have made some Mistakes. How do I correct them?
Except for Mobile No, Email ID, GATE Exam Paper & Caste Certificate, any other corrections may be allowed. For that candidates have to send IIT Roorkee a mail with their Enrolment ID along with a document showing the correct information. The website will be enabled to accept the corrections indicated. All candidates who have requested for such changes will be informed by email/SMS once this option has been enabled.
15) Can I change my GATE Exam City after submission of my GATE Application Form?
Requests for change of examination city will be accepted till November 20 with a fee of Rs. 400/-(four hundred only) to be paid online using GOAPS.
16) I have selected a wrong paper, e.g., I have selected PH in my GATE application and actually want to write PE. What should I do?
File a new application with a new email address (mobile number can be same) and choose the correct paper for examination. Please note that no refund will be made for the incorrect application.
17) I want to change my category in my GATE Application Form. What should I do?
Yes, you can change the category. For change from GN/ OBC to SC/ ST -send an email to your Zonal GATE Office. Changes will be done with no refund of application fee.
For change from SC/ ST to GN/ OBC, the procedure will be notified later.
18) I want to make a change in my gender in the GATE Application Form. What should I do?
- For change from Male/ other to Female, you can send an email to your Zonal GATE Office. Changes will be done with no refund.
- For change from Female to Male/ other, the procedure will be notified later.
19) Guardian name is appearing as parent’s name in the application. What to do?
Please don’t worry. The name will be recorded correctly in the database. It is always mentioned as Parent’s / Guardian’s name.
20) what can i do in case of College address appears blank in the Application Form?
Not to worry. A mail will be received from IIT asking for college details if needed. Send a mail to IIT Roorkee if your college address is completely missing in admit card.
21) Why should I choose two examination cities?
Generally, you will be allotted a centre in the examination city of your first choice. Only in cases where it becomes difficult to accommodate you in the examination city of your first choice, your second choice will be considered.
22) My power/internet connection failed during application process, what do I do?
If you have clicked on “Save” during application process, the data you entered up to that time has been stored online. Simply login back to the GATE application website and continue the application process.
23) You are asking only the SC/ST/PD candidates to enclose the category certificate. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to enclose the category certificate too?
NO. OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates do not have to enclose the category certificate since their application fee is same as that of the general category candidates. However, in the application, you can indicate the category to which you belong to. You need to produce the category certificate only to the admitting institute at the time of admission.
24) How do I make the fee payment for GATE examination?
You can make the payment during the ONLINE application process by choosing one of the following options:
- Online Payment: Netbanking through the payment gateway.
- Challan Payment: Payment by cash at any branch of Canara Bank or State Bank of India.
25) I want to pay online by my credit/debit card, but I don’t see that option!
You can only use internet banking (netbanking) facilities for online payment. Credit /debit cards will not be accepted.
26) My net banking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back ?
This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Please check your bank account after 48 hours. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE from this account will automatically be returned back (credited) to the same bank account.
27) My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
This happened because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). As soon as possible, you MUST initiate a fresh payment process on the GATE application website, and make the payment again. The money that was debited (taken out) from your account the first time, will be credited (put back) to your bank account within 48 hours. You will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
28) If I want the Bank Challan option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling in all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Bank Challan option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
1.At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
a)Page 1: Instructions and Address slip where you need to send hard copy.
b)Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal.
c)Page 4: page for candidates who select “bank challan” way of payment (as against the net banking). This page will contain 3 copies of challan.
4.Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link .
29) Do I have to send the printout of the application form?
YES. At the end of the Application process a PDF file of the application is generated. You have to affix your photograph, signature and enclose other documents along with this print out and send to the concerned GATE office. This is REQUIRED in addition to the uploading of the image files.
30) I have attached the documents online, do I have to send the hard copy as well ?
No, you need not submit the hard copy of supporting documents to GATE office.
31) Should I attest the photograph for application form?
NO. Photographs must not be attested application form or uploading. You must bring a valid photo ID card to the examination center.
32) When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging in at the GATE Online Applicant website.
33) After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps upto PDF application form generation in ONLINE application process, you can only download the application form and cannot modify the data. Hence you need to be very careful while entering the data. You may also save a partially filled application and login in again at a later point in time to complete and submit the application.
34) Which identification card numbers shall be accepted in application form?
Only numbers of the following identification cards shall be accepted: Passport, PAN card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, college ID, Employee Identification Card for Indian candidates and For International candidates, ONLY a valid Passport/ Government issued ID/College ID/ Employee ID/Driving License shall be accepted as the recognized identification.
35) Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
- NO. The Admit Card has to be brought to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification, whose details have been entered while filling the application.
- ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, valid College ID, Employee Identification Card or driving License.
- Candidates will not be permitted to take the exam if the original and valid photo identification is not presented.
36) For how many GATE papers can I apply?
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 23 papers listed in the GATE INFORMATION BROCHURE or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below.
1. The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
2.The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
37) My College Address is blank in my GATE Admit Card.
Please mail IIT immediately with a copy of the Admit Card.
38) My photograph is blurred in the GATE 2016 Admit Card. What to do?
Mail IIT immediately with a copy of the admit card.
39) Will there be any provision for keeping my bag or things like mobile at the exam centre?
No, the GATE authorities will not be making any such arrangements. Candidates will be carrying these things at their risk.
List of GATE 2017 Centers (Expected)
|State||City||Mode of Exam|
|Uttar Pradesh||Gautam Buddha Nagar||Online|