Nidhi Bahl Updated On: 23 Jan, 2019 12:11 IST
Never Miss an exam update
Want To Know Your Rank
IIT Bombay conducts the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED) for candidates seeking admission in Bachelor of Design programme (B.Des) offered at IIT Bombay. To begin preparing for UCEED, you must know why is the exam conducted in the first place. The exam is basically meant to test your Visualisation and Spatial Ability, Environmental and Social Awareness, Observation and Design Sensitivity, Analytical and Logical Reasoning, Design Thinking, Language and Creativity, as well as Problem Solving skills.
There are usually three types of questions, which are asked in UCEED:
We have compiled a list of things that you should and shouldn't do in order to prepare for UCEED:
2. You must start your preparation for UCEED well in advance as the range of knowledge and aptitude tested for the examination is vast.
3. Although UCEED is a computer-based test and does not have a drawing section, there are questions based on fundamentals of drawing. In that case, understanding concepts and theories of drawing such as perspective, shade, human figure and proportion, shadows and textures is essential.
4. You should have a good understanding of elements and basic principles of design, such as colour theory, animation techniques and typography.
5. You must read newspapers, general knowledge books, research on the internet or watch youtube videos to improve your vocabulary, general knowledge and current affairs.
6. There could be questions based on basic topics of science, math and computer science. Hence, try and brush up such topics.
7. Also, try and familiarise yourself with information on famous designers and iconic products, Art history and movements, Architectural history, monuments, terminology, popular logos - automobiles, companies or organisations, internationally recognised Indians in the corporate or technology sector, sports, and also any famous international personality. However, you must keep in mind the fact that questions in UCEED will not be limited to these topics. There could be questions beyond these topics as well since UCEED is an open ended exam.
8. Make a study plan as per the availability of time. Only cover topics that you feel can be possibly covered in the given period rather than just going through all the topics.
9. Practice questions papers from previous years so that you know the type of questions to expect in the UCEED exam.
10. You do not have to spend time on practicing drawing for UCEED because it is an online exam, and it does not involve drawing.
One of the best ways to prepare for an exam is to go through previous years' papers of the same examination. For those of you preparing for next year's UCEED, check out UCEED 2018 Question Paper!