Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) is conducted on an all-India basis by IIT Bombay on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The objective behind CEED is to test the aptitude and designing skills of the candidates. The primary objective behind CEED is to analyze drawing skills, creativity, logical reasoning, communication, visual perception ability and problem-solving skills. The candidates are mainly checked for designing skills through CEED at the postgraduate level.
CEED is a qualifying exam for admission to MDes programmes offered by IITs such as Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc Bangalore), Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT Delhi), Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (IIT Hyderabad), Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IIT Guwahati), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IIT Kanpur) and Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur (IITDM Jabalpur). The application process for CEED 2024 will start in September 2023. The exam will be conducted in the month of January 2024 from 9 am to 12 noon. Students who wish to appear for CEED 2024 can go check the CEED 2024 Paper Analysis and plan their strategy accordingly. The students can browse through the article and check the nuances and intricacies of the postgraduate design entrance exam.
CEED 2023: Latest Updates
- Exam Date: The CEED 2024 exam will be held in the 4th week of January 2024.
- Application Form: The CEED 2024 online application form will be accessible in the last week of September 2023.
- Syllabus: The CEED 2024 syllabus has been changed to incorporate extra subjects on sketching, drawing, and visual communication.
- Eligibility Requirements: The CEED 2024 eligibility standards have been reduced. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in any subject and a minimum of 50% are now able to apply.
- Application Fee: The application fee for CEED 2024 has been increased to INR 3,600.
- Around 5,500 students are likely to enrol for the CEED 2024 exam this year. Last year, 4,910 people registered for the exam, but only 1,886 people showed up.
CEED 2023: A Quick Glimpse
The candidates can check the brief and highlighted outline of CEED 2024. The table given below can be referred to get a glimpse of the entrance examination details.
Name of the Exam
Common Entrance Examination for Design
Popularly Known As
Mode of Application Process
Mode of the Exam
Online & Offline
Level of the Exam
Medium of Instruction
Important Dates for CEED 2024
The dates are very important for any examination and one must check the dates and deadlines for filling the application form and appearing in the examination. The important events and dates related to CEED 2024 have been mentioned in the table given below.
Application Form Availability
3rd week of September 2024
Last Date To Apply
3rd week of November 2024
Last Date to Register with Late Fee
4th week of November 2024
Admit Card Availability
2nd week of December 2024
Last Date to Rectify Discrepancy in Admit Card
1st week of January 2025
Ceed 2024 Exam Date
3rd week of January 2025
Draft Answer Key
4th week of January 2025
Last Date of Objection
1st week of February 2025
Final Answer Key
2nd week of February 2025
Part A Cutoff Marks
3rd week of February 2025
1st week of March 2025
2nd week of March 2025
CEED Eligibility Criteria 2023
To appear for CEED 2023, there is no age limit set by the exam authorities. However, a candidate must have acquired the educational qualification listed below to be eligible for the design exam.
- Applicants must have passed a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Architecture / Design/ Interior Design or its equivalent (3 years duration after completing 10+2).
- Candidates must have cleared Professional Diploma in Design (NID/CEPT or the equivalent of 3 years duration after 10+2), B.F.A. (3-year professional program, after 10+2), G.D. Art (5-year program after 10th) with one-year post qualification professional experience.
- Applicant must possess a master’s degree in Arts/ Science/ Computer Applications (2-year programme after qualifying 10+2+3)
- Final-year students can also apply for CEED, given that they produce the necessary documents at the time of counselling. The detailed requirements have been explained in the CEED 2024 Eligibility Criteria.
Age Limit for CEED 2024
There is no upper age limit. Any applicant, regardless of age, is eligible to take the CEED exam.
Number of CEED Exam Attempts
There is no limit to the number of attempts.
Type of Degree
Any recognized degree or diploma or postgraduate degree programme of 4 years or 3+2 years (after 10+2 level) or 3 years after 10+2.
Final Year Students (by July 2023)
Candidates in their final year or awaiting results are also eligible if they produce proof of eligibility at the time of admission.
GD Arts Diploma Programme (10+5 level)
Candidates who have completed the course by July 2024 are also eligible.
CEED Participating Institutes 2024
The following institutions will accept the CEED 2024 score for admission to their M.Des and PhD design programmes. Each institute will run its application procedure for these institutes.
CEED Participating Institutes
Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing, IISc Bangalore
Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay
Department of Design, IIT Delhi
Department of Design, IIT Guwahati
Department of Design, IIT Hyderabad
Design Programme, IIT Kanpur
CEED 2024 Admission Procedure
Qualifying in CEED does not guarantee admission. A candidate has to apply to the respective institutes for admission and fulfil other requirements such as tests and interviews of the corresponding institution for admission. The announcement for admission to the postgraduate programs in design will be notified separately by the different institutes.
A limited number of assistantships, based on merit, are available to CEED 2024 qualified students, to pursue the programmes. Reservation for various categories will be as per the Government of India's rules at the time of admission. The criteria for postgraduate admission and award of assistance/ scholarship are different in different institutes.
To apply for CEED 2024 the following process needs to be followed.
Visit the official website of CEED and create a unique login ID by entering a valid E-mail ID and mobile number.
A password will be received on the registered mobile number.
Use the password and the registered email address to log in on the official website.
Fill in all the personal and academic credentials correctly and carefully.
- Upload all the required documents such as passport-sized photographs, scanned signatures, all educational certificates, disability certificates, category certificates etc.
Make the payment of the application fee.
The application will be counted as successfully registered only after the payment has been received by the authorities.
Documents Required for CEED 2024
The following are the necessary documents for the CEED 2024 exam:
- A recent colour photograph in JPG/JPEG/PNG format with a file size of no more than 100 KB is required. The photos should be 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm in size.
- Signature scanned copy. The signature should be in JPG/JPEG/PNG format and no larger than 50 KB in size. The signature should be 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm in size.
- Degree/diploma certificate scanned copy. The degree/diploma certificate should be in PDF format and no larger than 50 KB in size.
- Valid category certificates (for applicants from the EWS/SC/ST/OBC-NCL categories): The category certificates should be in PDF format, with a maximum file size of 50 KB.
- Valid medical certificate (for those with disabilities). The medical certificate should be in PDF format and no more than 50 KB in size.
- Request letter (for applicants with disabilities who seek compensatory time during the exam). The request letter should be in PDF format and no larger than 50 KB in size.
- Gazette notice, marriage certificate, or scanned passport pages (to be supplied by applicants whose name differs from the name on the degree/diploma certificate). The scanned document should be in PDF format, with a file size of no more than 50 KB.
Note: Please keep in mind that all documents must be scanned in colour and high quality. Documents must be clear and readable. Each document's file size must not exceed the set restrictions.
CEED Exam Pattern 2024
A highlight of the CEED exam pattern 2024 has been given below. Go through to understand the structure of the exam better.
Medium of Instructions
|Mode of the Exam||CBT for Part A and Pen-Paper Mode for Part B|
Sections in the Exam
2 (Part A and Part B)
Type of Questions
NAT, MSQ, MCQ & Subjective Questions
Total Duration of Exam
3 Hours - 1 hour for Part A and 2 hour for Part B
Duration of Section A
Duration of Section B
Total Marks of Exam
Marks of Section A
Marks of Section B
46 Questions (41 in Part A & 5 in Part B)
For Part A - Yes, for Part B - No
It is mandatory to attempt questions from both parts. Part A is conducted for one hour followed by Part B for two hours. Both sections consist of 100 marks each. The answers to Part A have to be given in online mode, while the answers to Part B have to be attempted in the answer book that will be provided by the invigilator. These answer books will be collected for manual correction at the end of the examination.
Part A is also used in the form of a screening test. If 'N' is the total number of seats available in all the CEED 2024 participating institutes, then approximately the top 10xN candidates will be shortlisted from Part A. On the other hand, Part B will be evaluated only for the candidates who are shortlisted after Part A. Only Part B score will be used for preparing the CEED 2024 merit list.
Test Centres for CEED 2024
The CEED 2024 Examination cities are spread all over the nation. There are 24 test centres in the nation including metro cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, and Bengaluru among many others. The students can check the list of all the examination centres mentioned in the table given below and choose their preference while filling out their application form online.
|CEED Exam Centres All Across India|
CEED Cutoff 2024
IIT Bombay will publish the CEED exam cutoff in the form of a mean and standard deviation on its website. According to statistics from the previous year, the mean and standard deviation for Part-A (CEED 2024) are projected to be 22.59 and 11.82, respectively.
The cutoff for CEED 2024 is typically provided for part A of the exam, which is used to select applicants for part B. The authorities have not disclosed the cutoff for the Common Entrance Exam for Design for the complete exam or part B.
Part A Qualifying Marks
Qualifying CEED Exam Score
As previously stated, marks earned in Part A will be utilised to shortlist candidates:
- The cut-off for Part A (δ) marks to shortlist applicants in the open category is: μ + (σ⁄2) = δ, where and are the average and standard deviation of the distribution of marks earned by ALL candidates in CEED 2024 Part-A. The μ and σ will be rounded to the nearest two decimal places.
- The OBC-NCL category will have cut-offs of 0.9δ of the Open category.
- The cutoffs for the SC, ST, and PWD categories will be 0.5δ of the Open category.
Due to the fixed seats and cut-throat competition prevailing in the CEED exam, it is not possible for every aspirant to secure admission to the IITs. However, there are plenty of other design entrance exams and top design colleges that an applicant can consider for M.Des admissions. Students can also get admission to private colleges on the basis of the CEED 2024 score. For application-related enquiries or counselling, free to contact the admission experts at 1800-572-9877 (toll-free). For further assistance, you can also fill out the Common Application Form of CollegeDekho.
Stay tuned for more information!