Biotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines biological sciences with engineering technologies to manipulate living organisms and biological systems to produce products that advances healthcare, medicine, agriculture, food, pharmaceuticals and environment control. Biotechnology can be classified into two broad categories: R&D in Biological Sciences and Industrial Processes.
The biological sciences aspect deals with research and development in areas such as Microbiology, Cell biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology etc. for understanding the occurrence and treatment of diseases, development of agriculture, food production, protection of the environment and many more. The complete course details will vary from college to college.
Scope of Course:
- If you are a BSc student in biotechnology or any other biological sciences related fields, it is highly recommended that you pursue your MSc.
- The job opportunities for BSc graduates in a highly research oriented field as biotechnology is very less and most students tend to pursue their MSc in Biotechnology or a specialized discipline of biotechnology. India is home to some excellent MSc programs such as JNU, DU, IISc, TIFR, IITs etc.
- With an MSc degree, most students tend to work in research labs and industries as research assistants. The pay package is also quite less for MSc graduates.
- Since India is still developing, it is highly recommended that you do your MSc in a reputed institution for good campus placements and job opportunities. If your university is not reputed, chances of any biotech company coming for placements will be zero.
- Many MSc students tend to pursue their PhD degrees in Biotechnology or related fields as a PhD degree opens up more avenues both in India and worldwide.
- A PhD degree will give you the ability to start your own research lab, become a professor or head of the department in universities or be the lead for a team of research scientists. If your goal is to create a niche for yourself in Biotechnology, then your best bet will be to get a PhD.
Companies and Institutes:
Pharmaceuticals: Biocon, IFGL Bioceramics Limited, Orbees medical, Invitrogen, Glaxosmithkline, Reliance life sciences, CTS life sciences, Dr.Reddy’s labs, Cipla, Jubilant life sciences, Wockhardt, Torrent pharma, Cadila healthcare and Ranbaxy.
Universities and research institutions: IISc, TIFR, JNU, DU, IITs and IISERs.
- Akansha SirohiAnswered on January 16, 2017 05:15 PM