Career as a Computer Engineer
About Computer Engineer
Computer engineers develop and improve hardware and software programs. They may specialise in computer software or hardware. They make use of their extensive knowledge to make computer applications more effective and efficient. Computer engineers also work on the latest innovations, developing new computer software, hardware design, implement software applications and to improve the communication systems. It is one of the dynamic professional fields as if offers career both in software development and hardware engineering.
Computer engineers work both with hardware and software as it's their job ensuring that the two are seamlessly integrated and functioning properly. Just like there are countless apps, software programs and computers that are required for specific tasks, there are just as many career options for those who wish to enter the computer engineering profession. From robotics to wireless networks, and operating systems to aircraft design, there is a specialization available for everyone.
Eligibility to become Computer Engineer
To become a Computer Engineer, you will need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Should have studied and passed PCM in Class 12 or equivalent examination from a recognised board with a minimum aggregate of 75% . However, the minimum aggregate rules vary from category to category.
- Appeared and passed any of the engineering entrance exams like JEE (Mains), JEE (Advanced), BITSAT, KCET, WBJEE etc.
- Should have studied B. Tech in a UGC approved college (with a pass percentage)
- An M. Tech degree will be advantageous
- Some colleges also follow an age criteria*
Types of Job Roles Computer Engineer
After attaining a degree in computer engineering, there are a plethora of computer engineering job profiles in various sectors. Listed below are some of the popular computer engineering job profiles:
Computer Engineers: They work closely with network support staff to design network expansions and to take care of network bugs.
Computer Programmers: The computer programmer make use of different computer languages to write software programs
Computer System Analyst: Computer System Analyst incorporates new technology into a computer system into an organisation after doing a cost system analysis. The computer system analyst can be broadly classified into three categories- System Designers, Software Quality Assurance, and Programmer Analysts.
Computer Support Specialists: Computer support specialists/network specialists provide support to Information Technology employees within an organisation. They help IT staff analyze, troubleshoot and evaluate the computer network problems.
Software Application Developers: They are the creative minds behind the computer apps/games as they design and develop different applications for computer and other electronic devices.
Web Developer: They create a website and website design and looks after the technical aspects of it.
Software Testers: Their job role is to test the codes and to take care of network bugs.
Employment Opportunities for Computer Engineers:
Computer engineers can find a variety of employment opportunities in different sectors. Check out the top sectors that hire computer engineers below:
- Software Companies
- Public Sectors
- Colleges and Universities
- Information Technology Companies & IT Firms
- Media and Entertainment Industry
- Finance Companies
- Research Labs
- Digital Consulting Firms
- Advertising and Mass Communication
- Armed Forces
- Government Sector
Top Recruiting Companies for Computer Engineers
Some of the leading MNCs and companies that recruit computer engineers are as follows:
- SAP Labs
Employment Sector/Industry for Computer Engineer
Some of the popular books and study material for Computer Engineer are as follows:
- Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen
- Code Complete by Steve McConell
- Computer Networks - Andrew S. Tanenbaum
- Principles of Compiler Design - Aho , Ullman, Lam, Sethi
- Introduction to Languages and the Theory of Computation - John C Martin
Pay Scale/Salary of Computer Engineer
The salary of a computer engineer varies as per one’s specialization, academic qualification and professional experience. Also, the salary of a computer engineer depends largely upon the type of organisation they work with. Given below is the salary figures of entry level, mid-level and senior level computer engineers:
Starting Salary per annum (in INR)
Mid Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Senior Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Rs.10,00,000 & Above
Note- The above figures are an estimate and may vary from individual to individual and from company to company.
Pros of becoming a Computer Engineer
- As compared to other jobs, computer engineering as a profession is a very high paid job.
- One can learn a lot from their job as a computer engineer like software tools, programming language etc.
- The career of a computer engineering is a learning curve in all directions. As they get to work with new technologies and inventions, their experience and knowledge keeps growing.
- It is easier for computer engineers to switch as job opportunties for them are available in mostly all sectors.
Cons of becoming a Computer Engineer
- Computer engineers face a lot of global competition.
- They are required to upgrade and improve their skills regularly as the technology is changing every day. Therefore to keep yourself update it is very important to learn about new technologies.
- It is a sitting job and requires one to sit in front of the computer for long hours which can cause stress and other health related problems.
- In IT field, one is bound to the tight deadlines and have to work for long hours and on weekends to meet the deadlines. Most of the computer engineers have to sacrifice their personal and social life to make the deliveries on time.
Top Colleges to pursue career as Computer Engineer
Career path for Computer Engineer