Career as a Computer Engineer
About Computer Engineer
Computer engineers develop and improve hardware and software programs.They may specialise in computer software or hardware. They make use of their extensive knowledge to make computer applications more effective and efficient. Computer engineers also work on latest innovations, developing new computer software, hardware design, implement software applications and to improve the communication systems. It is one of the dynamic professional field as if offers career both in software development and hardware engineering.
Eligibility to become Computer Engineer
To become a Computer Engineer, you will need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Should have studied and passed PCM in Class 12 or equivalent examination from a recognised board with a minimum aggregate of 75% . However, the minimum aggregate rules vary from category to category.
- Appeared and passed any of the engineering entrance exams like JEE (Mains), JEE (Advanced), BITSAT, KCET, WBJEE etc.
- Should have studied B. Tech in a UGC approved college (with a pass percentage)
- An M. Tech degree will be advantageous
- Some colleges also follow an age criteria*
Types of Job Roles Computer Engineer
After attaining a degree in computer engineering, there are plethora of computer engineering job profiles in various sectors. Listed below are some of the popular computer engineering job profiles:
- Computer Engineers: They work closely with network support staff to design network expansions and to take care of network bugs.
- Computer Programmers: The computer programmer make use of different computer languages to write software programs
- Computer System Analyst: Computer System Analyst incorporates new technology into a computer system into an organisation after doing a cost system analysis. The computer system analyst can be broadly classified into three categories- System Designers, Software Quality Assurance, and Programmer Analysts.
- Computer Support Specialists: Computer support specialists/network specialists provide support to Information Technology employees within an organisation. They help IT staff analyze, troubleshoot and evaluate the computer network problems.
- Software Application Developers: They are the creative minds behind the computer apps/games as they design and develop different applications for computer and other electronic devices.
- Web Developer: They create website and website design and looks after the technical aspects of it.
- Software Testers: Their job role is to test the codes and to take care of network bugs
Some of the leading MNCs and companies that recruit computer engineers are as follows:
Pay Scale/Salary of Computer Engineer
The salary of a computer engineer varies as per one’s specialization, academic qualification and professional experience. Also, the salary of a computer engineer depends largely upon the type of organisation they work with. Given below is the salary figures of entry level, mid-level and senior level computer engineers:
Starting Salary per annum (in INR)
Mid Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Senior Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Rs.10,00,000 & Above
Note- The above figures are an estimate and may vary from individual to individual and from company to company.
Books & Study Material to Become Computer Engineer
To make it to the top engineering colleges in the country, it is very important crack the national-level engineering exams such as JEE, VITEEE, BITSAT and for admission to state colleges, there are various state level entrance tests. Maintaining a concise list of books for the preparation is crucial, however there are some of their popular books and study material for engineering exams that one can rely on. Below is the list of books and study material for aspiring computer engineers:
- Physical Chemistry by P. Bahadur
- Numerical Chemistry by P. Bahadur
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main & Advanced by J D Lee
- Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight
- Coordinate Geometry by S.L. Loney
- Problems in Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main and Advanced V K Jaiswal
Pros of becoming a Computer Engineer
- As compared to other jobs, computer engineering as a profession is a very high paid job.
- One can learn a lot from their job as a computer engineer like software tools, programming language etc.
- The career of a computer engineering is a learning curve in all directions. As they get to work with new technologies and inventions, their experience and knowledge keeps growing.
- It is easier for computer engineers to switch as job opportunties for them are available in mostly all sectors.
Cons of becoming a Computer Engineer
- Computer engineers face a lot of global competition.
- They are required to upgrade and improve their skills regularly as the technology is changing every day. Therefore to keep yourself update it is very important to learn about new technologies.
- It is a sitting job and requires one to sit in front of the computer for long hours which can cause stress and other health related problems.
- In IT field, one is bound to the tight deadlines and have to work for long hours and on weekends to meet the deadlines. Most of the computer engineers have to sacrifice their personal and social life to make the deliveries on time.
Top Colleges to pursue career as Computer Engineer
Career path for Computer Engineer