Common Admission Test (CAT - 2016)
Aug 08, 2016
Oct 24, 2016
Dec 04, 2016
Jan 09, 2017
CAT 2016 - Counselling Updates
The Indian Institutes of Management or the IIMs shortlist candidates for their second stage of selection on the basis of certain parameters/processes. These include:
- Written Ability Tests or WAT
- Group Discussions or GD
- Personal Interviews or PI
- Performance in CAT exam
- Previous academic performance
- Work experience
Please note that selection and admission process includes the above-mentioned parameters but is not limited to them. Each IIM may have a different approach in certain aspects of selection. Additionally, weightage given to each parameter is different for every IIM. Please view our article section to find details about each.
CAT 2016 result related updates will be available on the official website of IIM CAT from the second week of January 2017. The candidates who will be shortlisted for subsequent levels of selection will be named in the list that will be made available on individual IIM websites. Candidates will further receive interview letters directly.
Any candidate who is shortlisted for interviews by IIMs will have to comply with the eligibility criteria and verification that involves the following:
- Degree certificates & mark sheet verification – Produce original as well as attested copies of certificates and mark sheets at the time of interviews. If selected, original degree and mark sheets of all semesters or years plus attested copies will have to be submitted at the time of joining.
- Reserved category – Produce original as well as attested copy of ST/SC/NC-OBC/DA certificates at the time of interviews. If selected, original certificates pertaining to reservation category plus attested copies will have to be submitted at the time of joining.
- Final year undergraduate students – Produce an attested copy as well as an original certificate from the Registrar/ Principal/ Director of the institute or university stating that the candidate has obtained 50 percent marks or equivalent (45% in case of reserved category) based on latest grades/marks available. Their admission will be provisional until an original mark sheet and qualifying degree at the bachelor level is submitted before December 31, 2017. If a candidate is unable to submit requisites in time, his/her admission will automatically result in cancellation.
CAT Counselling FAQ
1) Who has a better chance of success at CAT/ Entrance exams – a fresher or a person with work-experience?
There is no factor that determines the success of either a fresher or a working professional. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. A fresher is more in touch with the academic requirements and prepared for intense learning mode. Whereas, a working professional brings along the real world knowledge and reasoning that is a key requirement to succeed in the entrance exams.
2) Which field should I specialize in?
Most of the MBA/PGDM programs offer the following specializations – Finance, Marketing, Operations, Human Resource Management, and Systems. There are a few others who offer International Business or Strategy/ Project Management as well. Some colleges offer dual specialization. Mostly, the first year of the course is general because students from varied background such as Medicine, Engineering, Commerce, and Arts pursue this course. The second year consists of the elective units that one wants to specialize. A student must choose the specialization based on his / her interests and abilities. Our faculty and mentors assist you in this process, as ideally you should be choosing the specialization before you start the course. But, you can choose mid way through your first year of study. Our prospectus gives information on the recommended abilities to pursue these specializations.
3) What career options will I have after MBA?
An MBA is a general qualification that develops overall understanding of business side of any organization. It offers a wide range of professional / career options. From Manufacturing to Services all industries requires Management professionals at all levels starting from Management trainees, Floor / Departmental / Branch Head, Senior Managers to Vice President and so on. Depending on the undergraduate qualification acquired, the students can choose to specialize in a specific field of study within the MBA and acquire skills that complement the previous qualification or acquire a general management program that is more popular abroad. For example: An IT professional can decide to specialize in Operations or Project Management; A Doctor or a Dentist can specialize in Health Management; To start an own venture, a person can specialize in Entrepreneurial Development program and so on.
4) What are the timings to contact the Candidate helpdesk?
The FAQs, online guides and videos are designed to enable self-service. You are requested to use these tools which can guide you through the entire process and help answer most of your queries. In case you are still facing issues, then CAT Candidate Helpdesk is available by phone, Monday to Saturday from 9:00AM to 6:00PM. CAT Candidate Helpdesk will be closed on Sundays and on National/Public holidays .
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place