Career as a Event Manager
About Event Manager
Event Manager is responsible for planning and organising professional and other events for a particular set of audience. The job of the Event Manager involves visualising the concept, planning, budgeting and organising various events such as conferences, concerts, stage shows, seminars, weddings, theme parties, product launch parties, exhibitions, corporate seminars and others. It is a good career choice as it does not involve huge investment and offers one with a lot of flexibility and independence to work. If you have a passion for organising events and have a good organising ability, then you can make a successful career in the field of event management.
Eligibility to become Event Manager
There are multiple career paths through which one can become an event manager. Candidates can pursue diploma/degree/certificate as per their career interest and they must have passed class 12th with any set of subjects and for master’s program candidates must have a valid score of entrance exams such as CAT, MAT etc.
Graduate Degree Courses:
- For BBA and BA courses in event management candidates must have passed class 12th with minimum 50% marks
- Admissions are mostly done on the basis of merit which is prepared on the basis of class 12th board exam results. However, some universities may take a basic aptitude test as part of the selection process.
Diploma, Certificate and PG Courses:
- For diploma//certificate in event management courses candidate must have 45% aggregate in class 12th marks.
- You can apply for PG Diploma courses after pursuing graduation (any field) with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Admission to PGDM and PGPM programmes is done on the basis of national level entrance exams such as CAT, MAT etc.
Types of Job Roles Event Manager
After attaining a diploma/degree/certificate in the field of event management, there are an ample number of event manager job profiles in various sectors for candidates who have a zest for life and are always on the move. Listed below are some of the popular event manager job profiles:
Senior Event Manager: The senior event manager has multiple job roles to take care of. They take care of all the event requests and inquiries and assist in the servicing of portfolio accounts. The senior event manager manages the workflow, logistical support and timeliness of the delivery of projects undertaken. They also conceptualize and prepare creative proposals customized to individual client's needs and requirements.
Event Legal Executive: The job role of the event legal executive is very similar to that of a legal executive. They are involved in client representation and interaction and attend court proceeding and take care of the all legal documentation of the company and the events. They will also take care of the matters such as wealth and inheritance.
Budgeting & Finance Executive: They are responsible for designing effective budget models for the entire departments and for the various departments in the company. The also analyze all the financial information of the company such as revenues, budget, expenditures and cash management.
Event Coordinator: Event coordinators are responsible for organising the event from the conception to till the time the event is held. They meet the clients to work out all the details regarding the event, scout and book location.
Public Relation Officer: Public Relation Officer plans public strategies and campaigns of the company. They also deal with inquiries from the public, press and other related organisations.
Event Production Head: They estimate, negotiate, and allocate budgets for the events and supervise all the work related to the event. They determine the quality of the event and ensure the smooth functioning of the company and the event.
Employment Opportunities for Event Manager:
An Event Manager can find a variety of employment opportunities in the different sectors. Check out the top sectors that recruit event managers here:
- PR Firms
- Event Management Companies
- Fashion Shows
- Product Launches
- Television Based Events
- Corporate Events
- Integrated Marketing and Communications
- Hospitality Firms
Top Recruiting Companies for Event Managers:
Some of the leading MNCs and event management companies that recruit event managers are as follows:
- Cox and Kings
- Encompass Events
- DNA Networks Pvt. Ltd
- Cineyug Entertainment
- 70 EMG
- Sita Conferences
Pay Scale/Salary of Event Manager
Starting Salary per annum (in INR)
Mid- Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Senior- Level Salary per annum (in INR)
Rs. 4,00,000- Rs. 5,00,000
Rs. 5,00,000- Rs. 10,00,000
Rs. 10,00 000 & Above
Note: The above-given figures are an estimate and may vary from an individual to individual and company to company.
Books & Study Material to Become Event Manager
To become an event manager, you will need to create a portfolio as the job focuses more on the organisation skills and the creative sight of the candidates. To become an event manager, you will require professional experience rather than theoretical knowledge. So, ensure that you have an eye for organising events and have some certificate/diploma in the event management. The certificate/diploma in event management will provide you with good exposure and a chance to work with renowned people from the similar industry. However, some books recommended for event manager are listed below:
- Sustainable Event Management: A Practical Guide by Meegan Jones
- Event Management for Dummies by Laura Capell
- Meeting Architecture, a Manifesto (Volume 1) by Maarten Jan Vedastus Vanneste, CMM
- The Business of Events Management by John Beech, Sebastian Kaiser and Robert Kaspar
- Research Methods for Arts and Event Management by A.J. Veal and Christine Burton
Pros of becoming a Event Manager
- There are a plenty of jobs in the event management industry. In spite of the slowdown in the global economy, the event management industry has developed significantly as there are plenty of events happening every day around the world. Therefore, there is no dearth of jobs for event managers.
- The job of an event manager is very interesting as they get to meet a wide range of people, from clients to guests, speakers to consultants which make you rich in terms of exposure and knowledge.
- It’s a profession where you do not require a professional degree and education. One can become successful with their organising, team leading and creativity skills.
- It’s a profession where it is relatively easy to start your own business as compared to others.
Cons of becoming a Event Manager
- There is a lot of pressure and stress as it is the responsibility of event manager to do things right in a strict time frame and within the budget. Moreover, it is a living experience and you do not get a second chance to rectify it. Not everyone can handle such stressful working hours and pressure.
- The job of the event manager involves a lot of travelling and living on a suitcase and being away from home is not always fun. It can also be hard to balance personal life and relationships.
- Weekend and evening work is frequent as events can take place at any time. It is unlike regular office hours and there are lots of events over holiday periods.
- The job responsibility of the event manager is to deal with difficult clients. Guests can be demanding and unreasonable at times which can lead to unnecessary stress.