Get CollegeDekho
Mobile App
 Live Help
 0141-3990699
Login
Signup
Institutes
Courses & Exams
News & Articles
Before     On or after

Karnataka Medical Council in Favour of Scrapping MCI

August 17, 2016 12:59 PM 2 minute read , Medicine / Beauty / Health Care

Karnataka Medical Council in Favour of Scrapping MCI

The suggestion given by Niti Aayog regarding scrapping down the Medical Council of India has been welcomed by the Karnataka Medical Council and representatives of the medical fraternity. After the scrapping down of MCI, it will then be replaced by National Medical Council (NMC). Though the decision has not yet been finalised and is out for public consultation, it has received a thumbs up from the Karnataka Medical Council.

Also Read: After MCI, UGC and AICTE to be Revamped by Niti Aayog

Regarding the matter, Dr H Veerabhadrappa, president of the Karnataka Medical Council (KMC), said that if one focuses on all the discrepancies faced by students regarding the allocation of medical seats in the past years, the decision for scrapping down of the MCI is a positive change as there is a need to reinvent the MCI. He also suggested that a unified PG medical exam should be adopted for seat allocation purposes.

A 140-page report was submitted regarding this issue, due to which more than 35 MPs visited Karnataka to get a detailed information on the medical education system in the state.

Also Read: Niti Aayog to Set Up a Commission to Replace MCI

Dr. Alexander Thomas, executive director, of Association of Health Care Providers of India (AHPI) says that according to the bill, it was mentioned that only 10 percent of the members of the new medical body will be from the medical fraternity. Questioning this statement, he says that it should be changed as the rest 90% governance will go in the hands of the government which is also not a good sign. He insisted that instead of excessive control on the body by the government, it should be made an autonomous body like the Election Commission.

Also Read: NITI Aayog in Favour of Scrapping MCI

Other state councils, including the Maharashtra Medical Council is also against the excessive government control. Councils can give their suggestions regarding the same till August 31.

High on Travelling, high on life. Fanatic about two things: Chandni chowk and Chicken, "I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good."

Karnataka Medical Council in Favour of Scrapping MCI | CollegeDekho
/news/karnataka-medical-council-in-favour-of-scrapping-mci-9531/