The Department of Mathematics at IIT Bombay will launch four-year B.Sc course in Mathematics from the upcoming academic session beginning in July 2018. An official spokesperson of IIT Bombay has given more details about B.Sc Mathematics course that are elaborated below.
About IIT Bombay B.Sc Mathematics Course: -
- The duration of B.Sc Mathematics course is four years.
- The aim of the course is to build a strong foundation in the preliminary semesters while encouraging students to take up more integrated interests in the subsequent semesters of the course through elective courses offered by Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay.
- The curriculum of B.Sc Mathematics course will also include basic science courses and important electives from the science, humanities and engineering disciplines.
- The course will offer complete flexibility and academic freedom.
- Students taking up B.Sc Mathematics course at IIT Bombay will initially study basic courses in probability, differential equations, calculus and analysis, combinatorics and algebra.
- The more advanced courses that will be offered in B.Sc Mathematics are theoretical computer science, statistics, numerical analysis, number theory, topology and geometry.
- Students with a keen interest in academics will benefit from the presence of active research groups in all the areas mentioned above.
- The Honours course will play a vital role in promoting deeper scholarship within mathematics while the Minor course enables the pursuit of interests in other departments.
Mathematics is regarded as one of the oldest fields of human inquiry besides an integral part of India’s culture and heritage.