Responding to a written statement in Lok Sabha, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of Human Resource and Development (State) indicated that the government is taking various measures and initiatives to bring premier institutes like IIITs, IISERs, NITs and IITs to international standards. On the other hand, the government has also taken probable measures to promote innovation and research in universities. With an objective to ensure quality education and admission on merit basis, the government is holding national level entrance examinations.
Dr. Pandey further explained that the government is also planning to increase collaborative efforts between academicians in foreign and Indian Universities. He further elaborated various efforts taken by the Indian government in this regard: -
- Foreign academicians can offer short courses in Indian institutes under Global Interactive Academic Network (GIAN).
- The government also introduced the provision of 10% supernumerary seats for international students.
- The government has also taken various measures to promote collaborative or joint research with foreign universities.
- Holding national level entrance examinations like JEE (Advanced) and JEE (Mains) in foreign countries.
- The government also allowed Indian universities to enter into collaborations with foreign universities. However, Indian universities have to take prior permission from University Grants Commission.
- As per the UGC regulations, deemed and private universities will be allowed to establish offshore campuses.
Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey also indicated that the government established 66 Centres of Excellence in various universities and institutes of national importance. The government also provided RUSA funds for universities to promote research, innovation and quality improvement programmes.