With the introduction of two-cycle Computer-Based Test (CBT) for JEE Main 2019, the merit list of JEE Main 2019 will include percentile scores of the candidates instead of raw marks. JEE Main is a qualifying examination for those who wish to sit for JEE Advanced or secure admission in NITs, IIITs or GFTIs. The new change with regard to the inclusion of percentile scores in JEE Main 2019 was announced by National Testing Agency (NTA). JEE Main 2019 is scheduled to take place in January and April 2019.
A senior HRD Ministry official indicated that the ‘normalisation procedure based on the percentile score’ to arrive at the NTA score was based on the format of AIIMS MBBS entrance exam.
JEE Main 2019 New Ranking System: -
National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced a new marking and ranking scheme for JEE Main 2019 entrance exam for engineering and architecture courses. The new procedure of JEE Main 2019 ranking system is elaborated below: -
- As JEE Main 2019 will be conducted in multiple sessions, each session will have an independent NTA percentile score with the highest scorer or scorers as 100 percentile.
- The agency will prepare a master NTA score so that all the sessions of JEE Main 2019 exam will be put together for a final ranking.
- The score of the top-ranked candidate as per final ranking will be 100 percentile.
- The tie-breaker between the candidates who score 100 percentile will be the highest percentile in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics in that order.
- If there is a tie even after the above step, the older person will be ranked higher in JEE Main 2019.
- NTA will apply the similar procedure to JEE Main 2 examination that is scheduled to take place in April 2019.
- NTA will announce the final merit list only after the announcement of JEE Main April 2019 results.
- Candidates who appear for both JEE Main January 2019 and JEE Main April 2019 exam must note that the better percentile will count in the JEE Main 2019 final merit list.
More details about JEE Main New Ranking System can be checked below: -
After understanding the above system of JEE Main 2019 ranking, we can broadly divide the whole process into three steps: -
- Distribution of examinees across various sessions randomly to make sure that each session gets an equal number of candidates.
- Preparation of JEE Main results for each session
- Compilation of the NTA score and preparation of the overall JEE Main merit or rank list
NTA asked the core group of experts from the premier institutes to finalise the process of calculating the NTA score. As the JEE Main 2019 exam will take place in multiple sessions, NTA will prepare different sets of question paper per session. On the other hand, NTA will make efforts to maintain equivalence among various questions papers.
The difficulty level of JEE Main 2019 question papers in multiple sessions may not be the same. However, the percentile score of the candidate in each session is based on the relative performance of students in that particular session. Therefore, the percentile scores for each session will be treated at par.
For the latest NTA JEE Main 2019 news and updates, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.