Fine art courses have gained popularity amongst art aspirants who seek education in modern or emerging arts while focusing on the concepts of fine arts. They are one of the most popular MA Courses in India. Master of Fine Art is one such course that has seen a warm reception from students applying for master courses.
The elite Indian society has lately been emphasizing the importance of creativity and how students with new ideas should be encouraged. In the wake of this call for creativity, students seek a master of fine arts courses to excel in this field. Masters of Fine Arts can be a bright career option after pursuing Bachelor of Art Courses.
There are various fine art degree courses as well as diploma courses in the field of arts that one can pursue at undergraduate as well as doctoral level. Find out more about master of fine arts and other fine art courses listed below:
About Master of Fine Arts:
Name of the Programme
MA in Fine Arts
About the Programme
The programme covers various aspects of aesthetic arts that were created in the ancient or the medieval era. The course focuses on the concept of art rather than keeping it limited to the application. Self-initiated research is also an essential part of the programme to help the students understand current art practices.
Popular Areas of Study
Fees for the master programme can vary from Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 1.30 lakh for the entire course. Fees will depend on the type of college. Colleges funded by the central or the state governments charge less fee than the private colleges.
Selection is done mostly on the basis of marks score in graduation and personal interviews. However, some colleges may conduct internal written test and group discussions in order to select candidates for this course.
Type of Fine Art Courses:
Name of the Course
Type of Course
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
BA in fine Arts
MA in Fine Arts
PGDM in Fine Arts
Postgraduate Diploma Course
Ph.D. in Fine Arts
2 to 3 years
M.Phill in Fine Arts
Diploma in Fine Arts and Creative Painting
Diploma in Fine Arts and Crafts
Certificate in Fine Arts/ Creative Painting
Certificate Course In Calligraphy
3 to 6 months
Certificate in Hand Embroidery
Eligibility Criteria for Fine Art Courses:
- There is no particular eligibility criteria for such courses. Interested candidates can apply directly for such courses.
- However, some institutes prefer that the students who have passed class 10 before applying for certificate courses in fine arts.
Diploma and Bachelor Degree Courses:
- The basis eligibility requirement for these courses is class 12 pass certificate. Students from all fields can apply for fine art courses after class 12.
- Admission are done on the basis of merit list prepared by respective university on the basis of marks scored in class 12.
- Some of the institutes may take a creative test in painting, drawing, etc. in order to test the skills of the candidate.
PG Diploma and Master Degree Courses:
- Candidates who have pursued bachelors in fine arts or BA degree in the same field with at least 50% marks are eligible to apply for this programme.
- Admissions are done either on the basis of graduation score or on the basis of written test. Group Discussion and Personal Interviews will be conducted to assess the students’ skills.
- Admission in these courses are done on the basis of past academic record of student and the research work done by them during their master courses.
- Some colleges may take students through personal interviews, whereas others take students on the basis of entrance exam score.
Jobs and Salaries after Master of Fine Arts:
With the privatization of India, a lot has changed for candidates who seek a career in arts. The options are not limited and various industries are opening their gates to creative artists in order to empower themselves with the aura of innovation. Following are some of the fields where candidates can apply for jobs after pursuing masters of fine arts:
- Art studios
- Clothing industry
- Dance studios
- Digital media
- Fashion houses
- Publishing houses
Apart from these, there is always the option of pursuing research and teaching as a career. There are some government universities that hire fine art graduates who can hone young art aspirants and prepare them to propagate creativity.
Salary packages depend on the type of jobs that you are taking. Advertising, fashion, art and dance studios are the highest paying sectors in this field that can offer packages of up to Rs. 40,000 per month for freshers. Experienced candidates can be offered up to Rs. 60,000 in this field depending on their skill and quality of experience.