Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
MAT 2021 is conducted as an offline test (MAT PBT) and an online test (MAT CBT and MAT IBT) on different dates. The exam pattern and syllabus of MAT is the same for both versions of the exam. The MAT 2021 exam is divided into 5 sections that are Language Comprehension, Mathematical Skills, Intelligence & Critical Reasoning, Data Analysis & Sufficiency and Indian & Global Environment. Each section has 40 questions.
In this article, we will take a look at the Language Comprehension section of the MAT exam. We will provide preparation tips for MAT Language Comprehension and Verbal Ability section and also take a look at the topics covered and best books to prepare for MAT Language Comprehension.
MAT Language Comprehension 2021
Language Comprehension and Verbal Ability can be considered to be a scoring section in the MAT exam. Since there is no section-wise time limit in MAT, this is also a time-saving section of the exam.
However, since this section is more concept-based than on tricks and hacks, students must ensure that they develop a good understanding of the basic concepts of the English language while preparing for the Language Comprehension section of MAT. Here are some important points to understand about the Langauge Comprehension section of MAT:
- It tests the ability of a candidate to write, read and understand in English.
- The section not only tests the grammatical accuracy and skills of a candidate but also tests the understanding of the day-to-day usage of the language.
- Since the questions in this section are concept-based, students may find this section to have tricky questions with close options.
Also Read:MAT PBT and CBT Important Dates
MAT Language Comprehension Topics Covered 2021
Given below are the important topics covered in the Language Comprehension of MAT.
|Language Comprehension & Verbal Ability Important Topics|
|Reading Comprehension||Error Correction of Sentences|
|Fill In The Blanks||One-World Substitutions|
|Sentence Completion||Idioms / Phrases|
|Antonyms and Synonyms||Sentence Re-Arrangement|
MAT Language Comprehension Preparation Tips 2021
There are three main regions that you must focus on when preparing for Language Comprehension and Verbal Ability. These are:
- English Grammar
- English Usage
The order of the regions is also the sequence in which you should focus on these sections and preparation for each is related to the other. Let's explore a little about how you can prepare for each region. It is also important to note how preparing for one section is related to the others.
- First, you should focus on enhancing your understanding of the basic concepts of English grammar and understanding the rules.
- You will have to study the rules of grammar and apply them in simple sentences. Understanding basic grammar cannot be avoided while preparing for the Language comprehension section.
- Pay special attention to the exceptions in the rules of grammar as you may find tricky questions based on these exceptions.
- School-level books such as NCERT books are best for developing concepts of English grammar.
- It is important to have a basic understanding of English Grammar before starting on English Usage as sentences used in day-to-day usage may have some slangs (i.e. informal versions of sentences or words which can be grammatically incorrect). If you are unable to identify these slangs, you may learn the wrong concepts of English grammar.
For eg. 'i'm lovin' it' which is a popular slogan of McDonald's is grammatically wrong. The correct form should be 'I love it'.
- Simply cramming up rules of grammar will only take you so far when preparing for Language Comprehension if you do not have a knowledge of how the English language is used. Plus, it can get confusing.
- Side by side, you should also develop an understanding of how the English language is used i.e. how sentences are written and used in a paragraph.
- The best way to grasp concepts of English usage is by reading good sources of English such as newspapers, magazines, books. You can also listen to English news and listen to some good podcasts or audiobooks.
- English usage can also be learnt by listening to English songs or watching movies and TV Shows. It is a good form of working on language development while also relaxing a little. However, these sources often do not focus on the correct use of English grammar and may have incorrectly formed sentences.
- Wiring is another important hobby to develop if you wish to develop English usage. Writing helps you sharpen your skills and brush up the concepts that you have learned.
- While reading and listening to English media, you are sure to come across some difficult words which you do not understand. If you just avoid these words, you may not understand how the sentence and will leave you with incomplete knowledge.
- There are a number of good books available in the market for the development of vocabulary.
- Vocabulary development should not be your main focus while preparing for MAT.
- Vocabulary development can be done by looking up the meanings of difficult words while understanding grammar and usage.
- You also have to understand how words are used in a sentence.
Let's also take a look at the type of questions that appear in the MAT Language Comprehension section and how you can prepare for each type of questions.
A paragraph appears about any random topics. You have to answer questions that are based ONLY on the information given in the paragraph. While preparing for RC, it is important to:
- Improve reading speed. This can only be done by practice.
- Read and try to understand difficult paragraphs. Use the editorial section of English newspapers or opinion pieces published in magazines for this.
- Ask yourself simple questions about the paragraph such as what the paragraph was about.
Sentence Rearrangement and Jumbled Paragraph
A number of sentences or parts of a sentence are given in the wrong order. You have to identify the correct order of the sentences or part of the sentences such that it makes sense. Options contain the sequence of the labels of sentences.
- Some tips and tricks can be used in this section.
- Basic strategy is to identify two sentences that cannot have another sentence between them and solve from there.
- Students with a good understanding of English usage will find these questions to be on the easier side.
Antonyms & Synonyms
- These are mostly vocabulary-based.
- Some questions may be confusing and require understanding the usage of words.
Here are some of our other articles for MAT preparation:
MAT Language Comprehension Best Books 2021
There are a number of good books to prepare for the Language Comprehension section available in the market. Some of the books for MAT preparation are common to the books to prepare for other management entrance exams in India. Applicants can refer to the best books for Language Comprehension to improve their English vocabulary, usage and comprehension skills.
The best books for Language Comprehension preparation are given below.
|Books||Writer / Publisher|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Pearson|
|Oxford’s Practical English Usage||Michael Shawn|
|English Grammar and Composition||Wren & Martin|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Nishit K. Sinha|
MAT is an important exam for candidates to join an MBA or PGDM course in some of the top management colleges in India. It is important for candidates to have a good preparation strategy for MAT and understand the importance of each section before they start preparation. Keep a steady head and be regular with the studies and you will get a good score in the exam. Best of luck!
Get your doubts and queries cleared by our experts by asking a question on the CollegeDekho QnA Zone. For help with admission to top management colleges in India, fill our Common Application Form (CAF) or contact our student helpline number 1800-572-9877.