The paramedical industry is one of the crucial components in the field of medicine, where a need for skilled and qualified professionals who can assist specialists in vital medical operations, has been rising evermore.
The field of Optometry is one such area where a dearth of skilled professionals has been witnessed in India. At the Undergraduate level, paramedical colleges across the country offer a Bachelor of Optometry course to all aspirants.
The Paramedical colleges India usually begin their admission processes around August and September of each academic year. However, this will depend on the guidelines outlined by the medical education board of the state or any competent authority. For those interested in taking admissions to one of the B.Optometry colleges in India, they must go through the important information regarding B.Optometry Admissions in India.
In this article, we will focus on different parameters such as eligibility, admissions processes, important dates and top colleges for Bachelor of Optometry in India.
Benefits of Choosing B.Optometry 2024
B.Optometry is one of the many popular choices among students to complete their undergraduate degree level study. There are several reasons and advantages of studying B.Optometry degree. Some of the points are listed below:
- After completing the B.Optometry degree, candidates will be able to open their own eye clinic after obtaining a legal license from the Medical Council Board.
- There are many respected designations that are associated with passing a B.Optometry degree. Professional graduates of this degree are eligible to find employment both in the private and public sectors of the company.
- Candidates who are interested in this discipline will be introduced to all the latest updates and technological advancements in this field.
- Students who wish to pursue their doctorate degree can choose B. Optometry has a lot of research grants and facilities available.
- Candidates have the opportunity to study abroad after completing the B.Optometry degree course.
B.Optom Admissions Important Dates 2024
The admissions to the B.Optom course will be conducted within a stipulated time period, as defined by the different colleges. In most scenarios, the admissions to paramedical courses are usually conducted between June and September. However, each college will specify their own dates and time for conducting the admission processes. We advise candidates to check with the official website of the intended institute for precise admission schedule.
B.Optom Admissions Eligibility Criteria 2024
The admissions processes for any course in India begins with qualifying the detailed eligibility criteria for the course of choice. Similarly, all aspirants of the course must ensure that they satisfy the B.Optom admissions eligibility criteria 2024, as has been outlined by the different paramedical colleges in India.
All candidates should have cleared their class 12 board examination in the stream of science from a recognised board of education.
Applicants must also ensure that they have secured a minimum aggregate score of 45% in the qualifying exam, in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Some colleges may also add an additional requirement of age. In most cases, colleges have outlined that the applicants should be at least 17 years of age by 31st December 2024, or the year of admission.
In India, admissions to paramedical courses, including B.Optometry, can be done either by merit or through entrance exam. Therefore, an applicable entrance test score is also a must.
B.Optom Admission and Selection Processes 2024
In India, admissions to professional and technical courses are typically based on merit or entrance test scores. The process for B.Optom admissions and selection in 2024 follows this pattern, where students must secure a good qualifying score or participate in an entrance test specified by the paramedical college.
Admissions to paramedical courses can occur through merit or entrance exams. To ensure admission to the college of choice, it is advisable to thoroughly review the eligibility criteria provided by the specific institution.
Some State Departments for Health/Medical Education conduct state-level entrance tests for various paramedical courses. For example, the Directorate of Medical Education and Research conducts a B.Optom entrance examination in Maharashtra.
Here are the distinct B.Optom Admission and Selection Processes in India:
Merit-based B.Optom Admissions:
- Apply for admission to the chosen B.Optom course and college.
- Depending on the college's admission policies, candidates may be called for further selection processes.
- Selection processes often include a Personal Interview and Document Verification.
- Qualifying candidates are shortlisted by the college, and Admission Offer Letters are issued.
Entrance-Based B.Optom Admissions:
- Check and fulfill eligibility criteria for the entrance exam.
- Appear for the respective entrance exam, either state-level or college-specific.
- If applicable, apply and appear for state-level entrance tests. Clearing the exam leads to participation in state-level counseling.
- If the college conducts its entrance test, apply and generate an Admit Card with your details.
- Present the Admit Card on the day of the entrance test.
- After completing the entrance test, the college releases results and merit lists.
- Admissions are offered based on the ranks secured in the merit list.
- Shortlisted candidates receive communication regarding admission status and an Admission Offer Letter.
- Admitted students follow the specified processes, including fee payment, to confirm their provisional admission.
Indian Medical and Paramedical Colleges offer a range of paramedical courses in Optometry, including the Bachelor of Optometry and B.Sc Optometry. These programs open avenues for diverse career opportunities in the field.
B.Optometry Entrance Exams 2024
There are several educational institutions that hold their own entrance exams for admission purposes to the B.Optometry degree programme. Some of the entrance exams are provided here:
AIIMS BSc Nursing Entrance Exam - This exam is conducted by AIIMS Delhi for admission purposes to several auxiliary nursing and other medical degree courses.
BVB EYECET - This exam is conducted by the Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University in Pune. The minimum eligibility criteria in order to sit for the exam is a high school passing certificate with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
GCET - This is an MCQ-based entrance test that is conducted on a state level. All the government and most of the private colleges in Goa ask for the GCET marks during the time of admission to various courses.
B.Optometry Specializations 2024
There are several specialization courses that are available under the B.Optometry degree programme. Some of the popular specializations are:
- Operation Theatre Technology
- Ophthalmic Technology
B.Optometry Syllabus 2024
The B.Optometry syllabus or course curriculum is divided into 4 semesters. The semester-wise syllabus is given below:
Advance Dispensing Optics
Orthoptics & Vision Therapy
Special Clinic –I
Community Optometry & Public Health
Cornea & Contact Lens 2) Low Vision & Rehabilitation
Basic Sciences and Clinical Optometry
Business and Clinical aspects in Optometry
Project / Dissertation
Elective - Advanced Glaucoma and Pediatric Optometry
Recent Advancement in Optometry
Top B.Optom Colleges in India
Check out the list of Top B.Optom Colleges in India along with course fee for the same:
|B.Optom College Name
|Course Fee (Approx)
|INR 60,000 (Annually)
|INR 1.26L (Annually)
|INR 75,000 (Annually)
|INR 68,000 (Annually)
|INR 75,000 (Annually)
|INR 69,000 (Annually)
|INR 1.06 L (Annually)
|INR 45,000 (Annually)
Well explore the colleges mentioned above and if you wish to know more about them or want to apply, fill out our Common Application Form (CAF) and our education experts will guide you through the entire admission process. If you have any questions, you can avail FREE counselling by calling on our tollfree number 1800-572-9877.
Click on the links given below: