- Articles byStream
Career Guide to Become a Strategic Planner
The very basic job of a strategy planner is strategic planning. Strategic Planning consists of gathering information both from internal and external sources, analysing all the gathered information and then organising it in such a manner that it leads to growth and profitability of the company despite of rising competition and constant change.
All of this is done by tracking the industry demand and competitive trends, spot rising opportunities and business threats, predicting the future and taking required actions to make it favourable for the company.
It involves skill full understanding of the organisation’s current market strategy, its past and what lies for it in the future. As a strategic planner, most of the work is done with the help of common sense and “gut feel”.
The job of a strategic planner is one of the most desirable jobs in the industry. It is not hard to find a strategic planner taking up the position of CEO as his next job as they are familiar with the overall organisation and its working.
Also Read: A Career in Operations Management
What do you do as a strategic planner?
- As you enter from level zero, your first job is of strategic planning associate or manager. One of the many tasks include working on assignments directed by the senior members of your group which involve collecting data, making presentations and understanding the issues and problems.
- As you move ahead in your job, you are given a chance to take part in the strategic planning process. You will interact with your senior managers and put forward ideas on basis of your understanding.
- As you advance according to your performance in the organisation, you will be among the top strategic management planners. Apart from giving assignments to your juniors, you will be responsible for various decisions taken by the company. Being in the top level, you need to familiarise yourself with the budgeting process i.e the FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis).
Job of a strategic planner is a very desirable job and hard to find. Most of the companies hire strategic planners with some previous consulting experience. But that does not mean you cannot find that job as a fresher. Many companies recruit employees who have been one of the brightest and top performing candidates in their MBA programme.
- Communication Skills
- Analytical skills
- Willing to work for long hours
- Understanding ability
- Business Judgement
- Self Confidence
- Leadership Ability
- Listening Skills
- Research Skills
- Problem Solving Ability
Popular Colleges in India offering MBA in Strategic Planning:
- Jaipur National University, Jaipur
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, Kochi
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee - Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management, Gwalior
- Department of Management Studies, IITD, Delhi
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- Nirma Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- GEMS B SCHOOL, Bangalore
- Indus School of Business Management, Gurgaon
Average salary of a strategic planner:
The job of strategic planners, strategic managers, and strategic consultants pays a handsome salary and also gives you an opportunity to rise in position as well. After a job as a strategy planner, one can also become the CEO of the company as he/she is already familiar with the ins and outs of the business.
According to a survey conducted by payscale.com, one of India’s leading survey conducting website, following is the average salary earned by a strategic planner at different posts:
|Position||National Salary Data|
|Business Development Manager||Rs 645,336|
|Strategic Planning Manager||
Rs 1,133, 829
General/ Operations Manager
|Deputy General Manager||Rs 1,801,300|
|Senior Strategy Manager||Rs 2,005,339|
|Chief Information Officer||Rs 4,554,685|
Job Prospects in Strategic Planning:
- As a Strategic Planner, some of the jobs available to you are: product development, product managers, change agent, strategic planner, transformation agent, vice president of corporate planning
- As a Strategic Manager, some of the jobs available to you are: vice president, director, general manager, division head, CEO, member of the board of directors.
- As a Management Consultant, some of the jobs available to you are: analyst, researcher, junior consultant, junior associate, associate, team leader, senior consultant, consulting manager, junior partner, senior partner.
- Strategic Cost Analyst
- Competitive Intelligence Analyst
All the best!
Placement season is at its peak in India with colleges conducting placement drives. Organizations from various domains ...
Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir, Mehbooba Mufti has appointed Vice-Chancellors for the Cluster University in ...