Do you look forward to being a TV show Anchor or News Editor? A Mass Communication course is what you are looking for. With the right mass comm course and school, you can do wonders in this field and earn a great salary.
With communication skills and will to explore the nation, you can make it big in this field. Find out all you need to know about mass communication, from courses to salary scope, in the article below:
Mass Communication Courses:
|Name of the Mass Comm Course||Type of Course||Duration|
|Diploma Course in Development Journalism||Diploma||4 months|
|Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication||Diploma||2 years|
|BA in Journalism||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|BA Hons Journalism & Mass Communication (BJMC)||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|Diploma in Media Studies||Diploma||3 years|
|BA Hons Multi Media & Mass Communication (BMMMC)||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM)||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|BA Hons in Hindi Journalism & Mass Communication (BHJMC)||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|B.A. Film Making and Mass Communication||Undergraduate Degree||3 years|
|M.A in Journalism and Mass Communication||Post-graduate Degree||2 years|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Business Journalism & Corporate Communication (DBJCC)||Post-graduate Diploma||1 year|
|P.G. Certificate Course in Hindi Journalism||Post-graduate Certification||1 year|
|P.G. Diploma in Hindi Journalism||Post-graduate Diploma||2 years|
|Ph.D. in Mass Communication||Doctorate Degree||2 years|
Eligibility Criteria for Mass Comm Courses:
- In order to pursue any journalism and mass comm course diploma programme, you will have to first complete your education up to class 12 from a recognised board of education.
- You are required to score at least 45% to 50% marks in class 12 in order to be eligible for the undergraduate degree courses.
- However, post-graduate degree and diploma courses require you to possess a graduation degree and diploma respectively with at least 50% marks.
Selection Criteria for Mass Communication Colleges:
- Admission to most of the top Mass Communication colleges is done on the basis of merit in class 12 board exams.
- Some of the popular universities including KIIT University, BHU and GGSIPU conduct entrance exams for admission to Mass Communication Courses.
- Colleges may also conduct Group Discussions as well as Personal Interviews to assess the communication skills of candidates before offering a seat.
Skills Required to be Mass Comm Specialist:
- The most basic skill required in the field of mass communication is good communication and writing ability.
- Candidates must have a flair for the language in which they wish to pursue mass communication programmes.
- Graduates in this field must have the ability to network and create media contacts in order to get latest insights.
- Ability to work in rough conditions and under pressure is another necessary requirement.
Fees of the Mass Communication Course:
Mass Communication courses from government colleges will have lesser fees than the private colleges. The fees will also vary from course to course. If your course comprises multimedia education as well then it will probably cost you more than the core mass communication and journalism courses.
The fees of government colleges will vary from Rs. 11,659 to Rs. 1,10,000 for the entire course. However, fees for mass communication courses offered by private universities will vary from Rs. 2.5 to Rs. 3.5 lakh for the entire course.
Jobs and Profiles after Mass Communication Courses:
With electronic and paper media being the main pillars of Indian communication, there is a lot of scope in the journalism and mass communication industry. There are numerous media houses, news channels, magazines and newspapers that hire mass communication graduates.
Apart from that, you can also apply for roles like copywriter, content writer, blogger, etc. after completing your graduation in this field. Following are some of the highest paying profiles in this field:
- TV Anchor
- News Editor
- Senior Journalist
- Junior Journalist
- Screen Writer
Salary Scope for Professionals in the Mass Communication Field:
Mass Communication is one the fields where experience greatly alters the salary. More your experience, the better salary you’ll get. If you are graduating from colleges like IIMC, Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, etc., then your chances of getting a good salary increase immensely.
Starting salary in this field will vary from Rs. 12,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month. After gaining an experience of 5 years, you can expect a salary of Rs. 50,000 to 1,00,000 per month. It is essential to pursue mass communication courses from reputed colleges to get a good package. Check top colleges, courses and their fees at collegedekho.com.