- Articles byStream
Why Not Opt for an Interesting Career in Technical Writing?
A technical writer is a professional who prepares instruction manuals, journals, articles and supporting technical documents to communicate complex and technical information in a simple and lucid language so that it is understood by the end users or the readers.
It is essential that a technical writer has an up-to-date knowledge of devices, software, etc. that are introduced in the market. Information in terms of specifications of the products helps them formulate a variety of documents.
Nature of Job:
Determine the needs of end users of technical documentation
- Organise and write supporting documents for products
- Study product samples and get clarification with product designers and developers
- Follow the instructions of seniors and work with technical staff
- Use photographs, animation, drawings, diagrams, and charts that increase users’ understanding
- Revise documents
- Write Search Engine Optimized (SEO) website content, blog, press releases, articles,
- Promotes the gadgets, software applications, or products of the company
- Gather appropriate feedback from customers, designers, and manufacturers
A science degree, B.Tech, MCA or BE degree is the best qualification to be a technical writer.
But students with a bachelor degree - especially in English, Journalism, Mass Communications or any related field also take up the job of a technical writer.
Bachelor's degree programs in English are offered by a number of colleges and universities while stressing on writing skills. Their programs consist of 3-year curriculum that develops their solid grasp of English and Communication skills so that they can write on a variety of genres and fields.
Their Courses may Include:
- Technical writing
- Web writing
- Writing theory
- Research skills
- Ability to work under strict deadlines
- No error in the write-up
- Must know the technical jargons
- Communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Familiarity with latest designing and printing,
Salary of a Technical Writer:
As the scope of technical writing is increasing in India these days due to rapid industrialization and development in science and technology, leading organisations are willing to hire right candidates with good packages and incentives.
- Technical Writer- Rs 1,50,000 – Rs. 7,00,000 (approx)
- Senior Technical Writer- Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 1,000,000 (approx)
Job opportunities, for technical writers, are very good in this digital age. The growing dependence on technology products both at home and the workplace, the increasing complexity of medical and scientific information needed for daily life, has created space for technical writers. Technical writers can write for research organisations and scientists. They can work on different roles like - employed directly by the big IT companies that use their services or work as a technical freelance writer where they are paid per assignment.
Also Read: Taking Up Career as an Aerospace Engineer
Colleges that Provide Courses in Technical Writing are :
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
We all know that CAT is a national level management exam conducted at the post-graduate level. And if you have ...
Vice-Chancellor of University of Delhi, Mr. Yogesh Tyagi is seeking help from the Haryana and Uttar Pradesh (UP) ...