Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Economics is a very broad and versatile field of education. With the growth of business in India, the demand for knowledgeable economics students is rising. Most of the domains require economists in order to keep up with the market trends for the purpose of business welfare.
Apart from the opportunities in the corporate sector, there are various government jobs in the field of economics. The Government of India requires skilled economics students for its various departments including finance, defence, transportation, etc. Let’s find out about some of these jobs that you can apply for after pursuing graduation or post-graduation in Economics.
|A Career as an Economist|
Table of Contents
Top Government Jobs Options After Studying Economics
There are many government bodies in India that hire Economics graduates for different job roles. The hiring process is done through national-level examinations, interviews and sometimes group discussion rounds as well. Here are some of the top Govt. job opportunities that you can explore after completing your studies in Economics.
1. Jobs in Indian Economic Services (IES) After Pursuing Economics
The IES is a Grade A central service that was constituted in 1961. IES Officers are required to give economic advice, implement development policy and programme, look after economic administration, etc. These officers are exposed to almost every government sector to assist the government in matters related to the field of economics.
How to Apply for IES?
- To get a job in the Indian Economic Services, you will have to appear in the Indian Economic Service (IES) Examination.
- It is a national-level examination conducted every year to recruit candidates for the Services.
- Conducting body of the examination is UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) and it is conducted in an offline (pen-paper) mode.
2. Jobs in the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for Economics Graduates
After studying economics you can also apply for different posts at the Reserve Bank of India. There are various entry-level jobs as well as other opportunities at the bank depending on your qualification and education. RBI, being the regulatory bank of India, has various posts for qualified economics students at both at entry level and management level.
How to Apply for RBI?
- RBI conducts examination for two profiles: RBI Grade B Officer and RBI Assistant.
- Exams are conducted separately for both the profiles. Candidates are finally selected after going through two levels: Preliminary Exam and Mains Exam.
- Registrations for RBI Grade B exan usually begin in the month of September every year.
- For RBI Assistant exam, registrations commence in December or January, every year.
3. Jobs in the State Bank of India (SBI) for Economics Graduates
SBI is one of the top banks in India providing employment to thousands of people. The State Bank of India conducts examination for a number of profiles to fill up the current vacancies.
How to Apply for SBI?
- SBI conducts separate examinations for the following profiles: SBI SO (Specialist Office), SBI Clerk and SBI PO (Probationary Officer).
|All About SBI SO Exam||A Guide to SBI Clerk Exam||Here's All About SBI PO Exam|
- Registrations for SBI PO and SO exam usually begin in May - June.
- For SBI Clerk Exam, Registrations begin in the month of January.
4. Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) Jobs for Economics Graduates
Economics students can also apply for jobs at different PSUs as well. There are various PSUs in India that offer economics-related posts. The job requires individuals to help the organisation with investments and budget related matters. Some of the PSUs that you can apply for are ONGC, BHEL, BSNL, etc.
How to Apply for PSUs?
Like every other entity discussed in this article, you will have to go through an examination to get a job in PSU.s as well. Different exams are conducted for different profiles through which, candidates are selected for the jobs.
5. Jobs in Education Sector for Economics Students
Education being a broad field providing various government job opportunities at both school level and higher education level. You can apply for the roles of assistant professors of lecturers at the economics department of universities. These jobs are not hectic and offer good salary packages even at the entry level.
What are the Jobs Available in Education Sector for Economics Students?
Here are some of the jobs that you can explore after graduating in Economics.
- Elementary School Teacher
- Corporate Trainer
- District Education Officer
- Education Counsellor
- School Principle
- Asst. Professor
6. Other Government Jobs for Economics Graduates
Although these are not strictly related to the field of economics, Combined Defence Services, Railway Recruitment Board, etc. are some of the departments that offer some high paying government jobs.
Top Economics Colleges in India
Now that you are well aware of govt. job opportunities available for an Economics graduate, let us discuss some top Economics Colleges in India. To get admission into these colleges, fill out the Common Application Form and avail expert assistance throughout the admission process.
The profiles mentioned above are some of the most reputable government jobs in the field of economics. For most of these jobs, it is essential that you pursue an undergraduate course in economics. Whereas, profiles like IES will require a postgraduate degree in economics as well.
Selection for the jobs mentioned above is done on the basis of entrance exams. Government departments/ organisations conducting the examinations will notify students whenever there are vacancies and students can apply for these competitive exams in order to secure the jobs.
Most of these exams are based on economics, English and general knowledge related syllabus. However, some exams also comprise reasoning and quantitative ability questions. With a focused education in the field of economics and preparation, you can get any of the jobs mentioned above.
To know more about the same, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.