Searching for the right MBA college and stuck on what choice to make? Well, here we are to help you with a comparison between two top MBA institutes so that you can make the best decision for yourself. Talking about the best MBA colleges in West India, two b-schools that are much talked about include GIM, Goa and KJ Somaiya, Mumbai. These institutions have gained unparalleled reputation and recognition in the field of management studies and are best known for producing good quality professionals who emerge as ready to take on the industry year after year.
Selecting the right college is an important step because it determines and shapes your future in a way. The kind of companies that visit a college, the jobs and salary offered at these institutes are among the most important factors that a student must keep in mind while picking a college for MBA in India. Comparison of GIM and KJ Somaiya will detail out the underlining difference and similarities between the two MBA colleges and help you in taking the right decision. Ensure that you go through the detailed placement report of GIM and placements at KJ Somaiya before taking the final decision. After all, if you are investing so much money in your educational goals, you shall definitely measure and evaluate the expected ROI. Sounds rational, doesn't it?
Read more about the comparison between Goa Institute of Management (GIM) and K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research and then take a call for MBA admission in the college of your choice.
GIM and KJ Somaiya are both approved by AICTE and have managed to secure a good ranking in the recently released NIRF Rankings 2019 for Management. Both the colleges offer no less than 200 seats for different PGDM courses. More than 100 companies come for placement selection in these two colleges. Google, Deloitte, Accenture, Godrej & Boyce, Infosys, TATA Motors, etc are few top companies offering exciting packages to the students of GIM and KJ Somaiya.
College Comparison: KJ Somaiya Vs Goa Institute of Management
Here are few points of comparison between GIM and KJ Somaiya for interested management aspirants. CollegeDekho has prepared these points in a tabular form for students so that they have a better understanding of the factors that can be considered as comparisons between the two institutes.
|Name of the Institute||Goa Institute of Management (GIM)||K.J. Somaiya|
|Year of Establishment||1993||
||University of Mumbai|
Total Number of Seats
||Rs. 10,00,000 (approx)|
|Rs. 11.4 lakh||Rs. 9 lacs|
Rs. 24.7 lakh
|Rs. 30 lacs|
Number of Companies Visiting Campus
Popular Companies Visiting Campus
Admission and Selection Process at GIM and KJ Somaiya:
The admission procedure and selection process hold equal weightage while applying for an MBA course at a top b-school in India. Students applying for GIM should appear and qualify at least one of the exams - CAT, CMAT, GMAT and XAT. Whereas, the entrance exam score accepted by KJ Somaiya is MAH-CET, CAT, CMAT etc. So if you want to secure a seat in any the two colleges, start preparing for these entrance exams. Admission and selection process will only be considered to be complete f the candidates clear the subsequent rounds of the personal interview and group discussion along with a good scorecard of the above-mentioned exams. Aspirants are advised to check the detailed selection process of GIM and selection process of KJ Somaiya for more information. The eligibility criteria, application process and selection process of both the colleges can be checked below:
GIM PGDM Eligibility Criteria
In order to apply for management admissions at GIM, you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- A bachelor's degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA of minimum 3 years duration
- Those who are appearing for the final year of bachelor's degree/equivalent qualification examination in 2020, can also apply. But such students would need a certificate from the Registrar/Principal of their University/institution stating that the candidate has 50% marks or its equivalent.
- Those who meet all the requirements for the degree by June 5, 2020, can also apply.
- For PGDM admissions 2020 at GIM, only those who are registering for XLRI 2020 or CAT 2019 or GMAT taken between January 1, 2018, and January 20, 2020, or CMAT 2020 can apply.
- Just meeting the eligibility criteria will not lead to shortlisting by GIM
- You also need a unique and valid email id and a phone number for the selection process
GIM PGDM Application Process
To apply for PGDM admissions at GIM, you need to submit the application online as well as offline. The last date to apply for the admissions at GIM is January 1, 2020, with an application fee of Rs. 2400, and a late fee will be charged for those who submit the application post-January 1, 2020. The application has to be submitted online and the steps in the application process are given below:
- Fill up all the details and pay the registration fee. The registration fee cannot be refunded.
- You will get an email after the registration and payment has been successful
- You can pay the application fee by DD for which, you will need a DD in favour of 'Goa Institute of Management' payable at Panaji (or Panjim)
- If you are choosing to pay via demand draft, you need to take a printout of the payment advice, write the name and GIM Id on the back of the DD and send it with the hard copy of the application through speed post/courier to
- The Admissions Office, Goa Institute of Management, Sanquelim Campus, Poriem, Sattari. Goa – 403505
- After receipt of the payment advice, students will get a confirmation email
GIM PGDM Selection Process
Candidates will be shortlisted for GIM PGDM admissions 2020 on the basis of their entrance exam score in CAT/XAT/GMAT/CMAT. The aspirants who are from Goan domicile/origin will get relaxation of 15 points. However, they need to show documentary evidence at the time of submitting the application. International candidates will need a valid GMAT score. The final selection of the candidates will be on the basis of entrance score, past academic performance, objective assessment, work experience and face to face round.
KJ Somaiya PGDM Eligibility Criteria
The PGDM eligibility criteria at KJ Somaiya is as follows:
- A bachelor's degree of minimum 3 years duration with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA
- Apart from a recognised graduate degree, you should have registered for CAT/XAT/CMAT or GMAT taken till February 10, 2020, and score well to be eligible for admission. The GMAT score of the last three years will be valid
- Those who are in the final year bachelor's degree and are awaiting their results can also apply
- A final year student, provisionally considered to be eligible by KJ Somaiya will have to submit the mark-sheet and degree certificate of the final year bachelor's degree exam latest by July 31, 2020
- Work experience is not compulsory
KJ Somaiya PGDM Application Process
K J Somaiya has a single common online application form for all the PGDM programmes. The application fee is Rs. 2800 and candidates looking forward to admission for the various PGDM programmes 2020 at KJ Somaiya need to appear for CAT 2019/XAT 2020, CMAT 2020 or MAH CET 2020.
KJ Somaiya PGDM Selection Process
Candidates will be shortlisted for KJ Somaiya PGDM selection process on the basis of their score in CAT, XAT, CMAT 2020 and GMAT taken before February 10, 2020. One can also submit more than one entrance test score and the institute will take into consideration the best test score for shortlisting candidates. The candidates who have been shortlisted need to fill the profile form and SOP before appearing for the GD-PI round. The final admission will be on the basis of the entrance exam, academic performance, work experience, personal interview, case-based GD and performance in sports and other extracurricular activities.
Some other management colleges which are similar to KJ Somaiya and GIM are given below:
Popular College Comparisons:
You can also take a look at some of the other popular college comparisons below: