- 1. Learn About Available Paramedical Options in India
- 2. Check out the Syllabus of the Paramedical Course of …
- 3. Know Your Strengths and Weaknesses
- 4. Follow Your Interests
- 5. Check Career Prospects
- 6. Shortlist the College of Choice
- 7. Check Placement Trends and Opportunities
- 9. Check the Eligibility Criteria
- Top Paramedical Colleges in India
- Related Articles
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Choosing the right course has always been one of the difficult choices that you, as a fresh school pass-out, will be required to make. While it may seem a tedious task to do so, making the right decision would be far easier than it seems. Among the thousands of courses to choose from, in innumerable disciplines available in India, lies the stream of Paramedical. In this article, we will talk about the things you must keep in while choosing the right paramedical specialization after 12.
In any country, the paramedical industry has been known to be the backbone of the medical and healthcare industry in general. With their expertise in different specialized medical fields, the paramedical staff is key to ensuring a successful medical operation or procedure. With numerous options available, aspirants will be able to choose a lucrative career path irrespective of the option they choose. Let’s check out some factors one should consider while choosing an appropriate paramedical specialization after the 12th for themselves. This is the right time to explore one's options and get to know about how to choose the right paramedical specialization after class 12th as most of the major board exam results like CBSE class 12 result, ISC class 12 result 2020, and others have been announced.
1. Learn About Available Paramedical Options in India
In order to choose an option, learning about the available options would make it easier for you, as an aspirant, to choose the course for yourself. Given below are some of the paramedical specializations offered after class 12 in India.
- B.Sc Ophthalmic Technology
- B.Sc Medical Lab Technology
- B.Sc Allied Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Diploma in Anaesthesia
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology
- Diploma in Medical Imaging Technology
If you are interested in checking out the other paramedical specializations that are available in India, then check out our article on the list of top paramedical courses in India.
2. Check out the Syllabus of the Paramedical Course of Your Choice
It is very common to be doubtful about which Paramedical course to choose after the 12th. In order to get a clear picture of the same, it is recommended to check out the subjects and topics that are covered under the syllabus of various courses. The subjects and topics covered would allow you to gauge the difficulty of the course to a certain extent. Along with understanding the difficulty, you will also be able to understand what the course is about and the area of specialization in which you shall be trained and qualified in after graduation.
For instance, in B.Sc Ophthalmic Technology, students are taught the fundamentals and principles of the eye, its diseases, and the possible different solutions to treat those diseases and illnesses. Meanwhile, Bachelor of Physiotherapy offers training to students in treating various muscle-related injuries and illnesses. While both are paramedical specializations and are 4-4.5 year courses, graduates of either of the courses will not be able to assist in medical procedures pertaining to the other course. In other words, these are specialized courses, designed to train the students specifically in that area of specialization alone.
3. Know Your Strengths and Weaknesses
One of the most important factors in deciding the course of choice is to select one as on one’s strengths and weaknesses. Here, the strengths and weaknesses refer to your strengths and weaknesses regarding certain areas of study. This is one of the areas why the point previous to this one comes in handy, as the students will be able to gauge if there are subjects and topics which they are not comfortable with.
Now, one cannot decide on a course just on the basis of the strengths, every course will consist of subjects, and topics and would require the students to undertake activities that might be difficult for them. Therefore, when deciding on the course, your strengths in the course should be more than your weaknesses in the course.
4. Follow Your Interests
As cliche as it may sound, your interests and passion for a course or subject will affect your career in the long run. Keep in mind, following one’s interests and following one’s passion are two different aspects here. While interests can allow you to decide between different courses, passion is something that would keep you happy in the long run.
However, it is always advisable to follow one’s passion if one wishes to keep themselves happy while pursuing a career in the field of their choice. Therefore, before choosing a paramedical specialization, you must ask yourself whether a career in the respective field would keep you interested in the long run.
5. Check Career Prospects
The major motivation behind choosing a technical or professional course is the career prospects of the course. At the end of the day, every youth will be required to live independently after some point in time, which would require them to earn and make a living, in order to live without much hassle. Therefore, doing proper research about various career prospects is a recommended method of shortlisting the programmes.
Here, career prospects do not mean the placement opportunities after graduating but the possibilities of career and personal growth through the field. While paramedical courses may present similar career prospects, each course will differ in its own manner.
6. Shortlist the College of Choice
There are thousands of paramedical colleges across India that offer a wide range of paramedical courses. It is important that you select the college as per your preference. One way to shortlist the college is to check the placement trends at the college and check out the type of companies and organizations that have recruited students from the institute. It will help you gauge the reputation of the institute among the top players in the industry as well as the quality of education imparted at the institute.
7. Check Placement Trends and Opportunities
Aiding the point above, aspirants must research and check the scope of the placement trends and opportunities of different courses. The placement facilities and opportunities depend on a lot of determining factors, such as the reputation of the educational institute, the level of the degree, and so on. It is recommended to check the placement trends of the course in general as well as at the desired institute.
The points that have been made above are some of the major parameters that one should keep in mind prior to finalizing a course for themselves. However, it should be noted that various other factors that are personal to you, as an aspirant can also affect your choice. For instance, for personal reasons, you may not be able to leave your city or town, and the course of your choice is not offered at any of the colleges in your city. In this case, you may be required to select another course that is similar to the one you previously chose.
9. Check the Eligibility Criteria
It is very crucial to know about the eligibility criteria before taking admission to any paramedical courses in India. There are different academic levels of paramedical courses that are available. All of them have separate eligibility criteria for admission purposes. For taking admission to any upper-level degree course, the educational requirements are high. Here, the list-wise eligibility requirements for various degree levels are given for your reference:
- Certificate course in Paramedical Sciences - Most of the certification courses are taken up by already qualified and working professionals of this discipline. However, these courses can be completed by freshers as well. The minimum qualification that is required for enrolling in any of the certification courses of paramedical science includes a high school degree certificate from a recognized institution or board. The minimum age limit is around 17 years. Apart from these, it is a mandatory requirement that applicants of this degree course must have studied Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as core subjects.
- Diploma in Paramedical Science - For taking admission to this course, students have to be at least 17 years of age and completed their high school education with at least 50% marks. Core subjects during the 10+2 level must be Physics, Chemistry, Math, and Biology. Completing a diploma degree, especially after graduation, opens a lot of doors for employment to highly compensated designations.
- Bachelor Degree in Paramedical Science - It is mandatory to score at least 50% (for general candidates) and 45% (for reserved category candidates) at the high school level. Also, only students who have studied Science with core subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics as core subjects, can apply. English should be the first or second language at the high school level.
- Master Degree in Paramedical Science - In order to apply for a postgraduate degree in Paramedical Science, it is necessary to complete a Bachelor degree in Paramedical Science or any other relevant subjects. Candidates have to score at least 50% aggregate marks during their graduation degree. Entrance exams like IGNOU OPENMAT, CP NET, IPU CET, and AP EAM CET are conducted on both national and state levels for granting admission to Paramedical Science courses in various reputed institutions of the country.
- PhD in Paramedical Science - The basic admission requirement for admission to a PhD programme in the said discipline is scoring good marks in the postgraduate degree. Many colleges grant admission to their PhD in Paramedical Science candidates, purely on a merit basis. The minimum marks that is required for applying to this research degree is 50%. There are ample research opportunities and grants that are associated with this degree. Completing a PhD in Paramedical Science opens a lot of professional opportunities for the candidates.
Top Paramedical Colleges in India
With the constant rise in the demand for admission to Paramedical Science degree programs, many colleges have introduced them into their curriculum. Some of the popular Paramedical Science colleges in India are listed below:
Name of the College
Year Of Establishment
If you are interested in taking admission to any one of the paramedical colleges mentioned above, please fill out our Common Application Form, our education experts can help you find the right paramedical specialization after class 12, and with all that information you need to make it easier for you!
Want to know more about the Paramedical course, click on the links given below: