Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Know all about NAT Questions: The NTA conducts JEE Main Exam at the national level every year across the country to provide admission to candidates in varied engineering colleges. A large number of students participate in JEE Main exam every year but not many are aware of the comprehensive exam pattern beforehand. Most of the students are familiar with the basic PCM syllabus and exam pattern. Along with basic MCQs, the JEE Main exam also includes NAT questions in the exam. Candidates either have less/no knowledge on what the NAT questions are, how to solve them, and related details.
Quick Link - What is the Percentile for 300 Marks in JEE Mains 2022?
Introduction of NAT Questions in JEE Main Exam
The NAT-type questions were first introduced in the 2020 JEE Main Exam. Every section will have 5 NAT questions which unlike the MCQ-type questions will not have many options to choose from.
Students will calculate the answers and enter the numeric value in integer or decimal values.
What are NAT-Type questions in JEE Main exam?
NAT questions or Numerical Answer Type Questions also called as integer type questions, are mathematical problems related to the particular topic and the answer is usually in numerical or decimal form.
The JEE Main exam pattern now includes questions with numerical answer (integer) type. There are a total of 30 questions of the numerical answer kind in JEE Main. Out of the 30 questions, only 15 must be answered (5 each in Physics, Chemistry, and Math). Numerical Answer Questions require you to enter the right numerical or decimal value as your answer. How to respond to numerical questions in the JEE Mains is currently the main concern for most students. We are prepared to help you with that by providing you with some guidance and information.
Take a look at the details below to improve your ability to respond to numerical (integer) exam questions.
No. and Type of Questions
Total No. of Questions - 30
Total No. of Questions - 30
Total No. of Questions - 30
Points to Remember While Solving NAT Questions
- Make sure that you are clear with each topic's concepts and logic through in-depth theory and examples to help you understand it practically and ultimately make your logic clearer
- Make sure you have understood the question by carefully reading it. Understand what information is already available and what information needs to be acquired
- Determine your preparedness to respond to the question. Skip a question if you don't have an answer for it
- Do not waste too much time on one question if you are not sure
- Make it a habit to focus on the Units that represent a physical quantity's value
- Avoid rushing through questions as this can result in silly mistakes on the JEE Main exam. Check to see if your steps to the solution are right
- Negative marking applies to numerical value questions starting in 2022, therefore only attempt the question if you are certain of the answer
- When answering the questions, be calm and don't get anxious
- Work through the numerical value questions from the JEE previous year's papers to improve your chapter-by-chapter knowledge
- To move through everything swiftly, prepare and practice concepts from books like JEE 30 Days Crash Course
- Practice numeric questions every day. Set a dependable goal—such as completing 20 problems each day—and gradually raise the level of difficulty. Practice with the 4000+ questions on JEE Champion. More practice is always better
- Practice using a variety of JEE Main Mock Tests and JEE Sample Papers using the most recent exam pattern, and immediately analyze the results
For example, if a candidate calculates an answer to be 10/3, they might get confused as to how to enter their response. It should always be remembered that- For the maximum accuracy when answering questions of a Numerical Answer Type, write your response up to two decimal places; for example, if your response is 10/3, write it as 10,33, but if it is 10,399, you can either write it as 10,39 or 10,4.
Are Decimal Numbers Accepted as Answers in JEE Mains 2022?
According to the official notification “The value of zeroes in decimal would be disregarded and all equivalent decimal values would be marked as correct” For NAT section, the answer should be rounded off to the nearest Integer.
JEE Main 2022 Exam Pattern
Students should be familiar with the JEE Main exam pattern 2022 in order to understand the structure, question types, total number of sections, marking scheme, and other aspects of the exam. The table below contains the JEE Main 2022 exam pattern for candidates.
Mode of Exam
180 minutes i.e. 3 hours
Type of Questions
No. of Sections
Three are three sections:
No. of Questions
Mathematics: 25 (20+10) 10 Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) or Integer Type Questions. Out of 10 questions, 5 questions are compulsory.
Physics: 25 (20+10) 10 Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) or Integer Type Questions. Out of 10 questions, 5 questions are compulsory.
Chemistry: 25 (20+10) 10 Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) or Integer Type Questions. Out of 10 questions, 5 questions are compulsory.
Total: 75 Questions (25 questions each)
300 Marks (100 marks for each section)
JEE Main Marking Scheme
MCQs: Four marks will be awarded for each correct answer and there will be a negative marking of one mark on each wrong answer.
Numerical Answer Type Questions:
Candidates will be given four marks for each correct answer and there will be a negative marking of 1 mark for each wrong answer.
JEE Main 2022 Syllabus
National Testing Agency (NTA) has released the JEE Mains 2022 syllabus on the official website and the official brochure. Before commencing their preparation, candidates should be aware of the syllabus of JEE Main 2022. This will be effective in creating an efficient study plan and candidates will be able to focus on important topics for the entrance exam. The JEE Mains syllabus 2022 is based on the 11th and 12th grade Physics, Math, and Chemistry curriculum. As a result, the student should use the NTA JEE syllabus to begin their exam preparation. Students are advised to take as many JEE Main 2022 practice tests as they can to have a better understanding of the exam's level of difficulty.