Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
India is a developing country with a huge infrastructural requirement. To ensure sustainable development in this field, the country needs qualified civil engineers. A civil engineer is required to design and plan the development of infrastructural entities such as roads, buildings, dams, canals, etc.
Civil engineering is one of the oldest and most popular branch of engineering in India as well as abroad. Aspirants seek B.Tech in civil engineering as the course various opportunities in the government sector as well.
If pursued from a recognised college, civil engineering can offer some of the most lucrative jobs in the technology sector. Another advantage is that civil engineers can also apply for IT jobs after learning how to operate certain civil engg software.
Type of Courses in Civil Engineering:
Name of the Course
Type of Course
Diploma in Civil Engineering
B.Tech in Civil Engineering
BE in Civil Engineering
M.Tech in Civil Engineering
ME in Civil Engineering
About B Tech in Civil Engineering:
Name of the Programme
B.Tech in Civil Engineering
Duration of Civil Engineering Programme
About Civil Engineering
It is a traditional field of engineering and deals with the study of designing and structuring of buildings, bridges, roads, dams, etc.
Popular Areas of Study in Civil Engineering
Fees of Civil Engineering Courses
Total course of the programme can vary from Rs. 3,00,000 to Rs. 12,00,000 depending on the location of the colleges and type of college (private or government)
Popular Entrance Exams for B.Tech/B.E. Civil Engg
Eligibility Criteria for Civil Engineering:
- Like other engineering diploma courses, you can apply for diploma in civil engineering after passing class 10 with 50% marks.
- Admissions are done on the basis of state-wise diploma entrance exams.
- For all B.Tech and BE programmes in Civil Engineering, you will have to pass class 12 with 50% marks in science stream.
- Some of the colleges might require you to secure 60% or even 70% in class 12 in order to take admission in civil engineering programmes.
- Admissions are done on the basis of exams such as JEE Mains, JEE Advanced, WBJEE, MHT CET, etc.
- You can also take admission in the second year of B.Tech civil engineering programme after completing 3-year diploma in civil engineering.
- Graduation degree in civil engineering with minimum 60% marks is mandatory in order to apply for M.Tech and ME programmes in this field.
- Candidates have to clear GATE or other postgraduate entrance exams for M.Tech in order to secure seats.
Skills Required to become a Civil Engineer:
- In order to become a good civil engineer, you will need to develop visualisation skills to come up with creative ideas for space utilisation and efficient design of structures.
- Mathematical and reasoning skills also come in handy while pursuing this course.
- Since engineering drawing is an essential part of the programme, it is important to work on accuracy and technical drawing skills.
- Communication, planning and management skills are also essential in order to bag a job with a good starting salary.
Civil Engineers are in demand especially in developing countries like India. There are various government as well as private projects starting every year for which civil engineers are employed.
Candidates can apply for government opportunities through entrance exams of the respective organisations. In order to apply for the officers’ post in the field of civil engineering, one can appear for Indian Engineering Services (IES) exam.
Popular Firms Hiring Civil Engineers:
Coal India Limited
National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
Shapoorji and Pallonji
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
Unicon Development Constructions
Indian Oil Corporation
Steel Authority of India Limited
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
Jobs are also available in countries like UAE and South Africa that offer good salary packages to fresher graduates as well.
Salary Scope for Civil Engineers:
Salary of a civil engineer can vary from Rs. 3.5 lakhs per annum to Rs. 20 lakh per annum. Best salary packages are offered to students of IITs, however, some other private colleges also offer good salary packages.
Salary also depends on the experience of the candidates and their profile. There are various international companies that offer lucrative salaries of more than Rs. 20 lakh per annum.