Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Computer Application (MCA) are two of the most sought-after postgraduate programmes intended for individuals who want to advance their professional careers and seek better job opportunities. MCA is particularly designed for those who want to gain a deeper understanding of computer application development and master modern programming languages, while MBA focuses on management, business, and entrepreneurship.
But, can one pursue MBA after MCA? How getting an MBA degree can be beneficial for MCA graduates? If you happen to find yourself in a position where you can’t decide if it is the right career move, then take a read through this article. It will help you understand how enrolling in an MBA after MCA can take your career to new heights and give you an edge in the professional world.
Why Pursue MBA after MCA?
Given below are the reasons that justify why pursuing an MBA proves beneficial after obtaining an MCA degree:
- You can develop the managerial skills required to seek managerial positions in the corporate sector.
- You will gain a greater understanding of the global market by coming in contact with individuals who have various work experiences and perspectives on the world economy.
- You will be able to expand your professional network through partnerships and connections.
- You can improve your verbal and written communication skills and can effectively convey your ideas to different people at different levels in an organization to ensure that everyone can cooperate in achieving a common objective.
- An MBA can be useful in any sector, including the energy, consumer products, and start-up industries. Employers frequently look to hire or promote candidates with MBAs due to their expertise in marketing and finance, which other employees of the company may not have. This enables them to get started right away with various initiatives and support their company's growth. Also, an MBA helps to increase the payscale considerably.
Comparison Between MBA and MCA
Candidates must go through the differences between the MBA and MCA courses to understand why it is crucial to pursue an MBA after completing MCA:
Point of Difference
50% in undergraduate BCA / B.Tech CSE course
50% in any undergraduate course, irrespective of domain.
Nature of Job
Technical Skill Set
Personal Skill Set
INR 30,000 - INR 4,00,000
INR 3,00,000 - INR 30,00,000
INR 5,00,000 - INR 7,00,000
INR 3,00,000 - INR 28,00,000
MBA After MCA Eligibility Criteria
Various top B-Schools require the applicants to meet certain prerequisites if they aspire to pursue an MBA after completing MCA:
- Applicants must have obtained their Bachelor's degree in any stream. The minimum qualifying score for General Category candidates is 55% and for Reserved Category candidates is 45%.
- Candidates are required to take the national-level MBA entrance exams like the CAT, GMAT, XAT, MAT, ATMA, etc., and obtain the minimum qualifying scores.
- Apart from the MBA entrance exams conducted at the national level, candidates are also required to secure the minimum qualifying scores in university-level entrance exams.
- After qualifying for the entrance exams, exemplary candidates will be summoned for the personal interview and group discussion rounds.
- Some colleges prefer candidates possessing a professional experience of between 2.5 and 3 years. However, freshers are also considered if they can prove their competence.
- Qualifying for GMAT and GRE exams by obtaining the minimum required scores and successfully passing language proficiency exams like the TOEFL and IELTS becomes mandatory in order to study for an MBA abroad.
Top MBA Specializations after MCA
Candidates who aspire to pursue an MBA after receiving an MCA degree may consider the following list of the most popular specializations:
Other popular MBA specializations after MCA include:
- IT Management
- Human Resources Management
- Digital Marketing
- IT Administration
- Product Management
- International Business
- Project Management
- Database Management
- Insurance & Risk Management
- Pharmaceutical Management
- Aviation Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Top Colleges Offering MBA After MCA in India
The top colleges that offer a world-class curriculum and facilities to MCA graduates who want to earn an MBA degree are listed below.
Name of the Institute
Average Annual MBA Fees (in INR)
17,88,000 - 20,63,000
15,32,000 - 21,32,000
Scope of MBA After MCA
If MCA graduates possess the required skills, they can easily develop and manage companies with the aid of an MBA. The MBA curriculum makes an effort to introduce broad and advanced concepts of business administration to MCA graduates. MBA graduates will be better prepared to provide pertinent solutions to managing problems because they will have a better understanding of how an organization functions. Following an MBA after MCA, candidates are now qualified for the following job profiles:
MBA Job Profiles
MBA in Business Analytics
MBA in Operations Management
MBA in Information Technology
MBA After MCA Salary
Candidates must be informed about the salary package and return of investment (ROI) of an MBA specialization before opting for it. The following is a list of job profiles and associated pay scales available after obtaining an MBA after an MCA:
MBA Job Profile
Annual MBA Salary Package (in INR)
Marketing and Sales Director
3,50,000 - 8,00,000
4,50,000 - 12,00,000
Market Research Analyst
Salary after MCA
The average salary of MCA graduates are:
MCA Job Profile
Annual MCA Salary Package (in INR)
Jobs in the expanding fields of cyber security management, blockchain, Big Data, Cryptocurrency, etc., demand qualified and experienced people who can handle specific jobs and have strong business acumen. Hence, it is imperative for candidates to pursue an MBA after obtaining an MCA degree. After pursuing an MCA, individuals might take up computer-related MBA courses to get the necessary expertise for managing company tasks in the computer applications and information management sector. Additionally, if individuals are interested in core business-related MBA courses after MBA such as MBA HRM, MBA Communication, MBA Operations, MBA Consulting, and MBA Finance after MCA, they can avail themselves of highly profitable opportunities.