Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Nursing is one of the noblest professions and one of the best fields if you want to serve the community. Medicine, being one of the most recession-proof industries, offers very good career prospects and job opportunities for doctors and nurses alike.
There are various types of nursing courses at undergraduate, postgraduate as well as doctoral levels. Admission to most of the nursing courses is done on the basis of entrance exams, however, there are colleges that amidst students to UG nursing programmes on the basis of class 12 board exam score. If you aspire to enter the nursing field, here’s all you need to know about the courses.
Table of Contents
|Type of Nursing Courses||Fees of Nursing Programmes|
|How to apply for the UG Nursing Programmes||Job Opportunities in Nursing|
|Salaries Offered in the Nursing Field||Top Nursing Colleges in India|
While looking for nursing programmes, make sure that you pick colleges that offer courses certified by the Indian Nursing Council (INC). Some of the popular nursing programmes are listed below.
|Type of Course||Name of the Course and Duration|
|Undergraduate Degree Courses|
|Post-graduate Degree Courses|
Fees of Nursing Programmes
The fees of the programmes may vary from college to college depending on the type of the institute.
Usually, government colleges charge less fee as compared to privately/ society-owned colleges.
B.Sc Nursing programmes will cost you from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1,80,000 per annum.
How to Apply for the UG Nursing Programmes
- Auxiliary Nursing & Midwife (ANM): You can apply for the ANM diploma after passing class 12th.
- General Nursing & Midwife (GNM): In order to take admission in this course you will have to pass class 12 board exam with Physics, Biology and Chemistry and a minimum aggregate of 40% marks. Different universities offering GNM programmes may conduct their separate entrance exams for admissions. Admissions to some regional universities are also done on the basis of state-level entrance test.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc. Basic): To take admission in this programme you will have to pass class 12 with at least 45% marks and Physics, Biology and Chemistry as compulsory subjects. Candidates must be at least 17 years of age in order to apply for B.Sc. Nursing basic programme.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc. Post Basic): Students can either pick a two-year regular course or distance learning programme. In order to apply for the B.Sc. Post Basic regular programme, candidates must have passed successfully completed 10+2 along with GNM. For the B.Sc. Post Basic distance programme, students must have passed 10+2, GNM along with two years of working experience.
- Nursing Vacancies in Indian Armed Forces: Female candidates from the age group of 17 to 24 years can apply for the B.Sc. Nursing programme provided by the Indian Armed Forces. In addition to this, candidates must have passed 10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 45% for subjects including Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Admissions are done on the basis of Military Nursing Services (MNS) entrance exam.
Also Read: Registered Nurses & Midwives Count will Reach 4 Million by 2022!
Job Opportunities in Nursing
With surplus private as well as government hospitals in India, there are various job opportunities for nursing graduates in both sectors. The rapid growth and privatization of the healthcare industry have enhanced employment in this sector. Each year the government hires 22,000 nurses. There is still a requirement of 4 lakh nurses in the country. Graduates can also apply for nursing posts at private healthcare centres. Following are some of the profiles that are available in this field:
- Staff Nurse
- Nursing Service Administrators
- Assistant Nursing Superintendent
- Industrial Nurse
- Department Supervisor
- Nursing Supervisor or Ward Sister
- Nursing Superintendent
- Community Health Nurse (CHN)
- Director of Nursing
- Military Nurse
- Deputy Nursing Superintendent
- Teacher of Nursing
Salaries Offered in the Nursing Field
Freshers in this field can expect a salary ranging from Rs. 7,000 to Rs. 15,000 per month.
The salary improves with experience. Candidates can expect their salary to be Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 30,000 after 2 to 3 years of experience.
Highly experienced nurses may also get a salary package of Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 72,000.
Maximum Salary (with experience)
Lecturer or Speaker
INR 1.5 LPA
INR 6 LPA
INR 2.9 LPA
|Nurse Educator||INR 1.9 LPA||INR 10.2 LPA||INR 2.5 LPA|
INR 1.3 LPA
INR 5.1 LPA
INR 1.8 LPA
Nurse (ICU) - Intensive Care Unit
INR 68,000 Per Annum
INR 3.1 LPA
INR 4.3 LPA
INR 1.1 LPA
INR 3.1 LPA
INR 1.8 LPA
INR 1.8 LPA
INR 4.2 LPA
Top Nursing Colleges in India
Here are some of the top nursing colleges in India where you can get admission by simply filling our Common Application Form (CAF). You will then be assigned an education expert to assist you throughout the admission process. You can also avail instant counselling by dialling our Toll-Free number 1800-572-9877.
Hope this information helped you. Good Luck!