- NAAC Ranking List 2023
- Why NAAC Ranking is Required?
- What is the Full Form of NAAC?
- Eligibility for NAAC Assessment Application
- Total Number of Accreditations (Status as on 21/08/2023)
- NAAC Units of Assessment
- Importance of NAAC Accreditation
- Detailed Benefits of NAAC Accreditation for Institutions
- Benefits of NAAC Accreditation for Students
- How do Colleges and Universities get NAAC Accreditation?
- NAAC Grade Parameters Criteria & NAAC Ranking System
- NAAC Grading System
- Cycles of NAAC Accreditation
- NAAC Accreditation Re-Assessment
- Total Number of NAAC Accredited Colleges and Universities (Status as …
- Grade Wise Number of NAAC Accredited Institutes in India / …
- State Wise number of Universities and Colleges Accredited by NAAC …
- Top NAAC Accredited Colleges in India
- Other Best NAAC A++ Colleges in India with CGPA
- Top NAAC-Accredited Universities in India
- Other Best NAAC A++ Accredited Universities in India with CGPA
- Top NAAC-Accredited Private Universities in India
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) is an independent organisation that awards accreditation to higher education institutions after evaluating their performance in accordance with predetermined criteria. The University Grants Commission (UGC) created the council in 1994. The operation of higher education institutions in India requires NAAC accreditation. In particular, state universities that are not NAAC accredited are not eligible for grants or financial aid from UGC.
Details on the NAAC accreditation process, grading scales, and top NAAC grade colleges are provided below.
NAAC Ranking List 2023Here is a list of the top 10 NAAC-ranked colleges and universities in 2023:
|1||Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education||Madhya|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi||Delhi||A++||3.77|
|3||Institute of Chemical Technology Mumbai||Maharashtra||A++||3.77|
|4||Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research Bengaluru||Karnataka||A++||3.76|
|5||Indian Institute of Science, C V Raman Road, Bengaluru||Karnataka||A++||3.67|
|6||Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute Howrah||West Bengal||A++||3.66|
|7||Banasthali Vidyapith, Dist. Tonk||Rajasthan||A++||3.63|
|8||Koneru Lakshmaiah Education|
|9||Indira Gandhi National Open University New Delhi||Delhi||A++||3.56|
|10||SRM Institute of Science and Technology Kattankulathur||Tamil Nadu||A++||3.55|
Why NAAC Ranking is Required?
NAAC ranking list for colleges for 2023 and the NAAC A++ accreditation are essential elements of Indian higher education institutions. Only universities with an NAAC accreditation are qualified to receive UGC grants, and all higher education institutions in India are required to have an NAAC grade and accreditation. In order to determine the institution's "Quality Status," the Council inspects and accredits higher education institutions (HEI) and other recognised institutions. In 1994, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council was established as an independent UGC body.
What is the Full Form of NAAC?
National Assessment and Accreditation Council is the full form of NAAC. NAAC analyzes Institutions for their compliance with quality criteria regarding educational processes and outcomes. It also considers the Institute's curriculum coverage, organization, governance, teaching-learning processes, faculty, research, infrastructure, learning resources, and student services.
Read on to learn more about NAAC, NAAC accredited colleges, NAAC ranking list, NAAC grades, NAAC A++ Colleges in India, NAAC A++ university in India and other important information.
Also Read: DU NIRF Ranked Colleges 2023
Eligibility for NAAC Assessment Application
Higher education institutions (HEIs) are eligible to apply for NAAC Assessment and NAAC Accreditation (A&A) if they have graduated at least two batches of students or have been in operation for six years. The following are the additional requirements for receiving NAAC grades and NAAC rankings:
Universities (Central / State / Private / Deemed-to-be) and Institutions of National Importance
- The MHRD / UGC must approve their off campuses
- These Universities and Institutions must have regular batches of students admitted to the full-time on-campus programmes to qualify for NAAC grade assessment
- Furthermore, any established campuses within the country shall be considered part of the Universities / Institutions of National Importance for the A&A process
- NAAC will not consider undertaking the NAAC accreditation of the off-shore campuses if any
Autonomous Colleges /Constituent Colleges / Affiliated Colleges (affiliated with Universities recognised by UGC)
- The Colleges must be affiliated with a UGC-recognized University to qualify for NAAC accreditation.
- Subsidiary Colleges of private and Deemed-to-be Universities are not eligible for NAAC Assessment & NAAC accreditation on their own as they are regarded as subsidiaries of the primary University / Institution.
Accredited HEIs Applying for Re-assessment or Subsequent Cycles (Cycle 2, Cycle 3, Cycle 4) of Accreditation
- Institutions that wish to improve their NAAC accreditation status may apply for Re-assessment after a minimum of one year and before three years after accreditation
- They can apply provided they meet the conditions and other terms specified by NAAC from time to time
- Institutions opting for Subsequent Cycles of Accreditation (Cycle 2, Cycle 3, Cycle 4) may submit the Institutional Information for Quality Assessment (IIQA) within the validity period, subject to the fulfillment of other conditions stated by NAAC from time to time
Total Number of Accreditations (Status as on 21/08/2023)
|First Cycle||Second Cycle||Third Cycle||Fourth Cycle||Fifth Cycle||Number of Accreditations|
NAAC Units of Assessment
National Assessment and Accreditation Council is the full form of NAAC, as was previously mentioned. The NAAC tool was created to evaluate and grade higher education institutions in order to produce the most impartial results. The emphasis varies depending on the unit of accreditation, such as Affiliated / Constituent Colleges / Autonomous Colleges / Universities / Health Science, etc., even though the technique and fundamental structure of the Institution are similar.
- All Undergraduate and Postgraduate Departments and the University's Central Governance Structure.
- Any College with all of its academic departments.
- Any particular department or School of the University.
- Currently, NAAC is only focused on Institutional accreditations.
Importance of NAAC Accreditation
NAAC accreditation is mandatory for all higher learning institutes, particularly state Universities. Without NAAC accreditation and NAAC ranking, Universities are not eligible for UGC grants, RUSA grants, financial aid etc. On the other hand, NAAC accreditation determines the quality of the institute in terms of education, infrastructure, research, teaching & learning etc. Institutes with top NAAC grades such as 'A++', 'A+', and 'A' are the most sought-after institutes, as they offer high-quality education. On the other, all the recognized institutes of UGC must apply for NBA/ NAAC/ any other accreditation after the completion of the first or second batch of courses.
Detailed Benefits of NAAC Accreditation for Institutions
Here are some of the major benefits of NAAC accreditation and NAAC ranking -
- NAAC accreditation and NAAC grades help the higher learning institutes to know their strengths, opportunities, and weaknesses through an informed review process.
- NAAC identifies the internal areas of planning and allocation of resources.
- NAAC accreditation will help funding agencies with objective data so that they can take a decision on the funding of higher learning institutes.
- NAAC grade/assessment will help educational institutes to initiate modern or innovative methods of pedagogy.
In all, NAAC is one of the major accreditation agencies in India, which is mandatory for all the higher learning institutes.
Benefits of NAAC Accreditation for Students
In simple terms, NAAC accreditation or NAAC grade of a higher learning institute will help the student to figure out all the details about the institute such as quality of education, research output, teaching-learning, infrastructure etc. NAAC grade helps students to choose the best institute based on its NAAC grade/ performance in the NAAC accreditation process. NAAC grade also determines the value of degrees offered by higher learning institutes. Therefore, students are advised to score high in the class 12 exams in order to become eligibile for admission in NAAC colleges.
How do Colleges and Universities get NAAC Accreditation?
All the Universities and Colleges affiliated to UGC are eligible for NAAC accreditation and receiving NAAC grades. However, it is the responsibility of the institutes to apply for NAAC accreditation. All the details pertaining to the NAAC accreditation process, performance indicators/ parameters, the grading system and re-assessment are elaborated below.
NAAC Grade Parameters Criteria & NAAC Ranking System
Before going ahead with the NAAC grade parameters criteria and system, it is important to have a look at the parameters/ indicators of the NAAC assessment and accreditation process.
NAAC Parameters / Indicators
NAAC assess the higher learning institutes based on the following parameters or indicators –
- Teaching-Learning & Evaluation
- Infrastructure & Learning Resources
- Research, Innovations & Extension
- Curricular Aspects
- Governance, Leadership & Management
- Student Support & Progression
- Institutional Values & Best Practices
NAAC Grading System
Higher learning institutes in India are graded for each key aspect/ parameter under four different categories such as ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, and ‘D’. The NAAC grade denotes the performance of institutes such as very good, good, satisfactory, and unsatisfactory. The overall score of NAAC grades for all the key aspects under a specific criterion is calculated with weightage applied to it, and the GPA is worked out for the criterion.
After allocating the specified weightage to each Criterion, the Cumulative GPA (CGPA), which yields the final Assessment Outcome, is derived from the seven GPAs corresponding to the seven criteria.
Advantages of CGPA
- Converting letter grades to numerical rating points (overall score in Cumulative Grade Point Average)
- Grade points were assigned to qualitative measurements.
- Greater scope for normalizing scores
- Extreme biases (if present) could be reduced.
- The relative evaluation would be more precise because of the reduction in variances and standard deviations.
- Inter-Peer Team variances are significantly decreased.
- With little room for change at any step, the judgement would be more reliable.
The CGPA provides the assessment's final result, which is then calculated from the seven GPAs of the key parameters mentioned above. More information is provided further down.
CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average)
Performance of Institute
3.51 – 4.00
3.26 – 3.50
3.01 – 3.25
2.76 – 3.00
2.51 – 2.75
2.01 – 2.50
1.51 – 2.00
Less than 1.50
Cycles of NAAC Accreditation
Higher learning institutes that undergo NAAC assessment for the first time is referred to as Cycle 1, and the consecutive five-year periods as Cycle 2, Cycle 3, etc.
NAAC Accreditation Re-Assessment
NAAC-accredited higher learning institutes seeking an improvement in the accredited status may apply for re-assessment for improved NAAC grades and NAAC rankings. However, the institutes are allowed to apply for reaccreditation at least one year after (but not more than three years).
Total Number of NAAC Accredited Colleges and Universities (Status as of 29/03/2022)
Here we have curated the number of NAAC accreditations per cycle as per the latest data -
Type of Higher Learning Institute
Number of Accreditations
Grade Wise Number of NAAC Accredited Institutes in India / Grade Wise Break Up of Institutions as per NAAC Accreditation (As of 29/03/2022)
Find the grade-wise breakdown of the institutions as per the latest NAAC accreditations -
Type of Higher Learning Institute
NAAC A Grade
NAAC B Grade
NAAC C Grade
State Wise number of Universities and Colleges Accredited by NAAC (As of 29/03/2022)
Here is a state-wise break up of the total Universities and Colleges accredited by NAAC as per the latest data -
State / UT
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Daman & Diu
Jammu and Kashmir
Also Read: Top DU Colleges According to NAAC Grading
Top NAAC Accredited Colleges in India
Here is the list of some of the top NAAC 'A++', 'A+', and 'A' grade colleges in India. For the naac ranking list, check out the data given below:
|Name of the College||Location||NAAC Grade|
|Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh||A+|
|Pollachi, Tamil Nadu||A++|
|Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||A|
Other Best NAAC A++ Colleges in India with CGPA
Here is a list of some other best NAAC A++ colleges in India along with their latest CGPA -
Name of the Colleges
Accreditation valid up to
Top NAAC-Accredited Universities in India
Here is the list of some of the top NAAC 'A++', 'A+', 'A' and 'B' grade Universities in India. For all Universities, check the official website of NAAC.
Name of the University
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research
|Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu||A|
|Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh||B|
Other Best NAAC A++ Accredited Universities in India with CGPA
Here we have listed other best NAAC accredited Universities in India. We have shared the list of some of the top Universities which received A++ grades -
Name of the University
Accreditation valid up to
Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
Indira Gandhi National Open University
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation (Deemed-to-be-University u/s 3 of the UGC Act 1956)
Dr. D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University)
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University)
Top NAAC-Accredited Private Universities in India
Vellore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu (Grade - A++)
The Vellore Institute of Technology or VIT Vellore is a private deemed University in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. VIT Vellore, founded in 1984 as Vellore Engineering College, is recognized by the Government of India as an Institution of Eminence and one of the top private institutions in India. It is operated and managed by the VIT Group of Institutes and has three more campuses in Bhopal, Chennai, and Amaravati.
Chandigarh University (Grade - A+)
Chandigarh University, founded in 2012, is Punjab's first NAAC-accredited state private University. It is also the youngest University to receive the NAAC accreditation.
CU has also combined the expertise of top industry executives and recognized academicians to develop a global approach to learning. It is rated as one of Asia's best young Universities.
Amity University, Noida (Grade - A+)
Amity University, Noida, has been ranked India's top Not-For-Profit Private University. The management imbibes the best practices to provide a solid foundation for learning. Amity has a unique Corporate Resource Center to help students with exceptional placements.
Nirma University, Gujarat (Grade - A+)
Nirma University, founded in 2003, is known for providing excellent research facilities, infrastructure, and a learning environment for students to excel. In the third cycle of re-accreditation, Nirma University received an A+ mark from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
Chitkara University, Punjab (Grade - A+)
Chitkara University, established in 2010, offers a host of interdisciplinary industry-centric programs. Chitkara University is regarded as one of the best private universities in the North India region due to its student-centered strategy.
Amity University, Haryana (Grade - A)
Amity University, Haryana, believes in integrating the most effective methods, philosophies, resources, and standards worldwide. The University strives to be a world-class center of creativity and innovation, providing excellent education, industry, and society-relevant research.
Here we have enlisted a few more of the top NAAC-accredited State Private Universities in India along with their latest NAAC grades -
University / College Name
Through this article, we have explained the importance of NAAC, NAAC full form, its accreditation, NAAC rankings, NAAC grades, NAAC A++ Colleges in India, AAC A++ university in India and other important information. Candidates must check all these parameters before opting for or choosing a college.
For the latest educational news, entrance exam updates, and career-related articles, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.