NID Tie-Breaker Policy for B.Des Admissions: The National Institute of Design (NID) conducts the NID Design Aptitude Test (NID DAT 2024) to select candidates for its prestigious B.Des and M.Des programs. In case of a tie in the entrance exam scores, NID follows a specific tie-breaking policy to determine the final merit list. The exam comprises two stages: NID DAT (Prelims) and NID DAT (Mains). Following the Prelims, a merit list is compiled based on the NID 2024 tie-breaker criteria, and candidates are shortlisted for the Mains.
The NID final merit list considers scores from all admission rounds, adhering to the NID 2024 tie-breaking policy. In 2019, the National Institute of Design employed a four-statement policy to resolve tie ranks/scores for aspirants applying for BDes courses. In 2020, the institute expanded the tie-breaking criteria to six for BDes admissions, and in 2022, certain adjustments were made to the NID DAT Prelims tie-breaker for MDes.
It is important to note that the General Design Program for Development (GDPD) course was discontinued from the academic session of 2020-21. Consequently, all GDPD seats have been transformed into BDes seats. For a comprehensive understanding of the tie-breaker policy applied by NID for MDes and BDes courses, delve into the details provided in this article.
Tie-Breaker Policy for NID DAT (Prelims) 2024
If students score similar marks in the prelims exam, then the NID DAT 2024 tie-breaking policy is used to decide the merit rank.
Check below the tie-breaking policy for NID DAT 2024 (Prelims):
For BDes Admission 2024
- A higher rank will be offered to the candidate who has acquired higher marks in Part II of DAT Prelims.
- If the tie does not break by the first statement, a better rank will be provided to the applicant who has scored more marks in Part I of DAT Prelims.
- If still the tie continues, both candidates will be awarded the same rank.
For MDes Admission 2024
- A higher rank will be awarded to the candidate who has secured higher marks in Part II/ Part III of DAT Prelims.
- If the tie does not break by the above policy, a better rank will be provided to the Applicant who has obtained more marks in Part I of DAT Prelims.
- If still, the tie continues, the conducting body will offer the same rank to the candidates.
Course-Wise Tie-Breaker Policy for NID DAT (Mains) 2024
Enlisted below are the pointers that are followed in case of any tie in rank/score of candidates at NID DAT (Mains) 2024. The rank in the final merit list will be offered as per the norms mentioned here.
For BDes Admission 2024
NID has made certain changes in the generation of the final merit list for NID admissions 2024 for BDes programmes. Described below is the updated tie-breaking policy for NID DAT 2024 (Mains):
- A better rank will be offered to the candidate who has acquired better marks in the DAT Mains exam.
- If the aforementioned pointer does not break the tie, a higher rank must be assigned to the aspirant who has bagged higher marks in stage I of DAT.
- If the tie persists, a better rank will be provided to the candidate who has obtained better marks in Stage I of DAT Part B.
- If the tie continues, a higher rank will be offered to the aspirant who has secured higher marks in Stage I of DAT Part A.
- If the tie remains, a higher rank will be provided to the candidate who has secured higher marks in the question of the DAT Mains that holds maximum marks.
Tie-Breaker for MDes Admission 2024
Given below are the pointers that will be considered by NID in case of a tie in rank/score at NID DAT (Mains) 2024 for MDes admission.
- A candidate acquiring higher marks in NID DAT 2024 (Mains) is offered a higher rank.
- If the tie still prevails, the higher rank is to be given to the applicant who has obtained higher marks in the studio test of DAT 2024 Mains.
- If this does not break the tie, a better rank is provided to the aspirant who has achieved higher marks in DAT Prelims.
- If the tie does not resolve, the higher rank is awarded to the candidate who has secured better marks in Part II/III (subjective) DAT Prelims.
- If the tie remains, then the aspirant with better marks in the maximum weightage question of NID DAT Mains gets a higher rank.
- If this still prevails, the same rank will be given to the candidates.
NID Merit List Important Dates 2024
The table given underneath gives all the important dates for the merit list of NID 2024.
Important Date for B.Des
Important Date for M.Des
NID DAT 2024 (Prelims)
|December 24, 2023
|December 24, 2023
Merit List for NID DAT 2024 (Prelims)
NID DAT 2024 (Mains)
|April 27 and April 28, 2024
|March 3 and April 6, 2024
Merit List for NID DAT 2024 (Mains)
NID Merit List 2024
Two separate merit lists will be formulated for NID 2024 (Prelims) and NID 2024 (Mains). The merit list of NID 2024 will be prepared according to the categories. Different merit lists are released for the candidates belonging to Open, OBC-NCL, GEN-EWS, SC, ST and PwD categories. Similarly, a separate merit list is curated for Overseas candidates.
NID follows a set reservation and seat-intake scheme that determines the admission of an aspirant through the merit list. Also, while preparing the merit list of NID 2024 the tie-breaker policy issued by the National Institute of Design is kept as the major consideration point.
NID is one of the most popular design institutes in the nation. Almost every aspirant dreams of securing admission at NID at one point. However, due to the limited number of seats, not everyone can make the cut! Check out some best private design colleges such as Vogue Institute of Art and Design (VIAD), Bangalore, Whistling Woods International (WWI), Mumbai, Maeer's MIT Institute of Design (MITID), Pune etc. that have equal potential to offer high-quality education along with the assurance of a bright future.
To participate in the admission process of any shortlisted institute or college, do not hesitate to place a call and talk to our admission expert at the toll-free number, 1800-572-9877. Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more information on top design exams, design courses and design colleges!