Operations Management is a broad term that involves planning, organization and supervision in production, manufacturing or services industry. The field is delivery-driven and one of the main tasks of an Operations Manager is to ensure diligent outpout from materials, equipment, technology to human resources industry.
An Operations Manager is required to procure goods & services form external sources, managing relation with the people involved. In adittion, maagement of interprsonal relations with the stake holderss, and maintain process with regard to the sustainability of the resources. In other words, as an Operations Manager, you have to work towards the best interest of the company and look after everything that is required to run the organization successfully without any fault.
In order to become successful in this field, you should pursue a Masters in Business Administration or MBA from any of the best management colleges in India. IIM's are, of course the preferred choice, but there are many other B-schools that you may apply basis your score in different management entrance exams in India.
Eligibility Criteria for an Operations Manager:
- Bachelors’ degree in the field of business or related areas
- Work experience of more than 2 years in the manufacturing or industrial sector
- MBA degree in operations, marketing, finance, or similar fields adds up a lot of value to your CV
Students with an MBA degree are given preference over graduate students. However, work experience is the major requirement of this job. Experience in labor management and industrial management is valued in this industry. Another requirement is that one must have a thorough knowledge of laws and policies that affect industrial operations. This includes information regarding Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Relevant work experience is possible only when you have studied from a good management institute. There are good management colleges located in various parts of India like in Bangalore, Nasik, Varanasi, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh etc.
Also Read: Boost Up Your Career with MBA Finance
Skills required to become an Operations Manager:
- Analytical and logical skills are a must for operations managers
- An operations manager must also have good communication skills to be able to deal with clients from across the world.
- Candidates must have the capacity to work in a stressful environment in order to achieve targets.
Also Read: Career Guide for Human Resources
Preparation required to qualify as an Operations Manager:
You can apply for undergraduate courses after your 12 board exams and prepare for competitive MBA entrance exams such as CAT, XAT, GMAT, etc. You will have to give these exams in order to secure a seat in one of the good colleges. Meanwhile, you can also broaden your area of expertise and work in a professional organization. You can also work on your analytical and communication skills to give you an edge.
Institutions offering MBA in Operations Management:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Institute of Management & Information Science
- United Institute of Management (UIM), Allahabad
- Ramanujan College of Management (RCM), Palwal
- Foundation for Liberal And Management Education
- VIT Business School
- Maitreya College of Education and Management (MCEM), Hazipur
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
- Gitaram Institute of Management (GIM), Murshidabad
For more colleges check: M.B.A. Operations Management colleges in India
Operations Management Job Prospects:
To successfully pursue a career in Operations Management, you should possess skills operational skills, interpersonal skills & estimating the changes in the market. With experience, your salary bracket will increase. With a starting salary of Rs. 3L p/a, you can earn as high as Rs. 20L p/m.
So here are some of the career options:
- Supply Chain Manager
- Logistics Manager
- Consultant and
- Inventory Control Manager
Working as an operations manager opens up a lot of opportunities for you to enter the top management in reputable organizations across the globe. There is also a lot of scope for operations managers in the consultancy sector and education system. A lot of MBA programs require educators who have hands-on experience in this field.
Like all other higher positions, this is also a job that brings loads of works and stress as there are targets that need to be achieved.