Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The National Institutes of Design (NIDs) are undoubtedly among the leading design colleges of India. They offer courses of design at the undergraduate as well as the postgraduate level. Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor of Design (B.Des) or Master of Design (M.Des) programmes of NIDs have to appear for the design entrance exam that is conducted by the institute. National Institute of Design - Design Aptitude Test, or NID DAT, is one of the widely taken entrance exams of design in India and is used for selecting candidates for admission to the NIDs.
The exam of NID DAT is divided into two parts - NID DAT Prelims and NID DAT Mains. Qualifying both exams is mandatory to be considered for admission. The NID Studio Test is a major part of NID DAT Mains. Apart from this, the Mains exam consists of just one more part and that is the personal interview round. Therefore, performing well in NID Studio Test is compulsory in order to secure a seat in the design institute.
This article provides all design aspirants with some important preparation tips for NID Studio Test. Every candidate looking forward to appearing for the exam must go through this post to get an idea of how to prepare for NID Studio Test.
NID Studio Test Preparation Tips
Go through the tips and tricks mentioned below to follow a foolproof preparation strategy for NID Studio Test.
- First and foremost, go through the entire syllabus of NID DAT Studio Test and make a list of all the topics that are asked
- Make sure you are well-versed with the exam pattern of NID DAT Studio Test. Have a good understanding of the type of questions that are asked in the exam and go through all the details
- Make an elaborate study plan considering the number of days left for the exam and the syllabus you have to cover. Pay attention that you divide time equally and cover all topics
- Stick to the time table you have prepared and follow it diligently. Try to be as consistent with your preparation as possible and do not let your preparation get lax
- The following tasks are included in the NID Studio Test:
- Doodling Exercise
- Clay Modelling
- 3-D Model Making
- Wire Moulding
- Psychometric Test
- Story Illustration
- Personal Interview
- Thematic Apperception
- See to it that you bring out and highlight your skill set in all the tasks that are asked. Work around the primary quality that you excel in and enhance that in your questions
- Set your mind free and let it explore as many creative ventures as possible. Remember that acing this exam will be possible only with creativity and out of the box thinking
- Practise making models from as many materials as you can. Include some of the basic materials in your preparation such as wire, cloth, thermocol, rubber sheet, paper, clay, wool, threads, pins, plastic, plaster of Paris, hardboard, foils, etc
- Time yourself while doing each exercise and make sure you complete the tasks in the allocated time
- Focus on maintaining neatness while working with all the materials and making doodles or models. The examiners mark candidates on their neatness and approach to work as well
- Solve the previous year question papers of NID Studio Test and practise through mock tests as well
- In the NID Studio Test, some audio-visual examinations are conducted to check the observation skills of the candidate. This module includes exercises on aspects such as mental attentiveness, noticing and registering things like objects, environment and culture
Colleges Accepting NID DAT for Admissions
The primary colleges that conduct and execute NID DAT for their individual admissions are the National Institutes of Design. The campuses of all NIDs that accept NID DAT for admissions are listed below.
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
- National Institute of Design, Bangalore
- National Institute of Design, Vijayawada
- National Institute of Design, Bhopal
- National Institute of Design, Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Design, Jorhat
Apart from these, there are many other private design colleges in India that select candidates on the basis of their score in NID DAT. Some other popular design institutes that you can consider for admission are provided below along with their location.
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)|
|Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh|
Fill our Common Application Form (CAF) if you want to speak to our counsellors and find the best college for yourself.