Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is a national-level technical education council, which comes under the ambit of MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development). AICTE was granted statutory status by an Act of Parliament in 1987. The major responsibility of the AICTE is to plan and coordinate the development of technical and management education system in India. The AICTE accredits graduate and postgraduate programmes under specific categories.
Statutory Boards Assisting AICTE
10 Statutory Boards of Studies in India assist AICTE such as –
- Town and Country Planning
- Information Technology
- Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Pharmaceutical Education
- Technical Education
- Vocational Education
- Management Studies
- PG and Research in Engineering & Technology
- UG Studies in Engineering & Technology
Professor Anil D. Sahasrabuddhe is the present Chairman of AICTE and Dr. MP Poonia is the Vice Chairman. Apart from Chairman and Vice Chairman, AICTE comprises of 14 other members as Member Secretary, Advisors, Directors etc.
Importance of AICTE Accreditation
AICTE accreditation is mandatory for the technical institutes to offer courses that come under the ambit of 10 statutory bodies of AICTE. For example, engineering colleges in India (except premier institutes of technology IITs, NITs etc), AICTE accreditation is mandatory for all the government and private engineering colleges, deemed universities and private deemed universities. The degree offered by these institutes is valid only if these institutes have AICTE accreditation. Therefore, students must check the AICTE accreditation of college while taking admission.
Roles & Responsibilities of AICTE
Here are some of the major roles and responsibilities of AICTE –
- AICTE grants approval for the extension of existing institutes, the launch of new courses and continuation of approval after a break in the preceding academic year.
- AICTE grants approval for the setting up of new technical institutes in India that offer technical education courses at Diploma/ Degree/ PG/ Post Diploma/ PG Diploma level.
- It is also the responsibility of AICTE to grant approval for the change of site or location of a technical institute.
- AICTE initiates the process of closure of technical institutes if the respective institutes apply for the same.
- AICTE grants approval to institutes that want to convert into Co-Ed institutes from Women’s institution and vice-versa.
- AICTE grants approval for the increase of intake/addition of new courses in the first/ regular shift in the existing technical institutes.
In all, AICTE monitors the engineering and management education in India.
How do Colleges and Universities Get AICTE Accreditation?
Colleges that are willing to offer technical courses, PG management courses or any other courses that come under the ambit of 10 statutory bodies of AICTE must apply for AICTE approval. Before applying for AICTE approval, the colleges must be ready with the required infrastructure, labs and faculty for running the courses. AICTE team will inspect these facilities in college and grants approval for courses.
Benefits of AICTE Accreditation for Institutes and Students
There are no specific benefits of AICTE accreditation, as AICTE approval is mandatory for institutes to offer engineering, PG management courses and courses that come under the ambit of 10 statutory bodies of AICTE. Without AICTE approval these institutes can't run these courses. Students must check the AICTE accreditation of the college while taking admission.
AICTE statistics for the year 2017-18 is given below. The list includes the total number of AICTE recognised institutes in India, the number of new institutes, closed institutions etc.
AICTE recognised institutes in India
New institutes set up during the academic session 2017-18
Total number of institutes closed by AICTE due to poor enrolment/ requested by institutes for closure
Total approved intake of AICTE recognised institutes in 2017-18
Girl’s enrolment in 2017-18
Boy’s enrolment in 2017-18
Total number of students from AICTE recognised institutes secured jobs in 2017-18
List of AICTE Approved Institutes in India
Here is the list of AICTE approved institutes in India (as on April 30, 2016)
For the latest education news, career articles and admission updates, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.