Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
MBA and M.Tech are the most popular postgraduate degree programs in their respective domains that open a plethora of career opportunities for graduates. But, is it a wise choice to pursue an MBA after M.Tech? Well, MBA is a conceivable option for M.Tech graduates who want to make a switch to managerial positions from the technical domain within a company. Many students, including those from IITs, opt for MBA after completing their M.Tech since it prepares them for a general management career in various sectors other than Technical, like Marketing, Sales, Finance, HR, and Operations, among others.
Since the modern workplace calls for a diversity of talents, many M.Tech graduates are focusing on acquiring knowledge about Business Administration by enrolling in MBA programs. Whatever may be your reason for doing an MBA after M.Tech, it is quite normal to find yourself in a state of dilemma whether to go for it or not. Go through this article where we have provided the necessary information to help you make the right choice.
Why Pursue an MBA After M.Tech?
The advantages of pursuing an MBA after M.Tech have been listed below:
- MBA helps to improve your managerial skills. If you're a qualified engineer, you already have a solid grasp of how to use technology. An MBA offers you the push you need to address challenges in the real world and improves your leadership and people management abilities. As a result, you are able to take on leadership positions in organizations.
- An MBA degree will assist you in developing entrepreneurial ideas and strategies. You can employ the problem-solving techniques you learn from an MBA in a real-world business setting.
- One of the key driving forces for people to seek an MBA is the competitiveness of the salary package. Engineers who seek an MBA typically start off with a salary of INR 7 to 8 LPA per year. An MBA will help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to advance your professional career and earn a higher salary.
Comparison Between MBA and M.Tech
In order to understand why it is crucial to pursue an MBA after obtaining an M.Tech degree, candidates must go through the differences between the two degree programmes:
Point of Difference
Rs. 2,00,000 - Rs. 25,00,000
Rs. 50,000 - Rs. 2,00,000
Rs. 22, 00,000 per annum
Rs. 8,00,000 to Rs 11,00,000 per annum
MBA After M.Tech: Eligibility Criteria
There are several renowned business schools in India and across the world that provide a wide range of specialized MBA courses. Given below are some prerequisites that the candidates must meet if they aspire to pursue an MBA after completing M.Tech:
- Candidates are required to have a Bachelor's degree in any stream with a minimum score of 55% for general category candidates and 45% for reserved category candidates.
- It is mandatory for the students to appear for national-level MBA entrance exams like the CAT, GMAT, XAT, MAT, ATMA, and other common entrance tests and obtain a minimum overall score to qualify for these exams, in order to seek admission into a reputable university.
- Some universities also conduct university-level entrance exams to shortlist prospective candidates for the MBA program. It is crucial for the applicants to qualify for these institute-level exams as well in order to become eligible for admission to their desired institutions.
- Individuals who wish to study an MBA after M.Tech abroad must qualify for the GMAT and GRE exams by obtaining the minimum required scores, submitting an SOP, Letters of Recommendation, and successfully passing language proficiency exams like the TOEFL and IELTS.
National-Level Entrance Exams for MBA After M.Tech
National-level Entrance Exams for M.Tech
Top MBA Specializations After M.Tech
After pursuing an M.Tech, candidates can choose from a wide range of specializations under the purview of MBA that will help in advancing their professional career. The top specializations that M.Tech graduates can pursue have been mentioned in the table below:
Human Resources Management
Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Insurance & Risk Management
Top Colleges Offering MBA After M.Tech in India
Since MBA is a globally acclaimed degree, some of India's best universities provide a world-class curriculum and facilities. The most eminent colleges in India for graduates in M.Tech who want to earn an MBA degree are listed below:
Name of the Institute
Average MBA Fees (in INR)
17,88,000 - 20,63,000
|Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad|
6,00,000 - 19,53,000
Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi
Management Development Institute, Haryana
12,80,000 - 23,58,000
Christ University, Bangalore
|SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai|
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management Pune|
15,32,000 - 21,32,000
Scope of MBA After M.Tech
Since everything comes down to money and returns on investment, candidates must be aware of the employment prospects before enrolling in any specialization. Some of the job profiles associated with specific MBA specializations have been provided below:
MBA in Finance
MBA in Operations Management
MBA in Information Technology
MBA after M.Tech Top Recruiters
The most popular recruiters for M.Tech graduates aspiring to pursue an MBA have been mentioned below:
Bain & Company
BCG (Boston Consulting Group)
MBA After M.Tech Salary
The dual specialization of MBA after M.Tech makes the candidates eligible for significantly high salary packages and top positions. Listed below are the job profiles and associated pay scales available after obtaining an MBA after an M.Tech:
Salary Package (in INR)
Information Systems Managers
3,50,000 - 8,00,000
Inventory Control Manager
Risk and Insurance Manager
|Supply Chain Program Manager|
4,50,000 - 12,00,000
Market Research Analyst
We may, therefore, conclude that enrolling in an MBA programme after completing M.Tech attracts lucrative work opportunities and offers a fairly large return on investment. MBA equips the candidates with managerial and administrative abilities so that they can transform into successful entrepreneurs. MBA enables one to explore a wide range of domains and results is rapid career advancement.