- What is Distance Education?
- List of Top 10 Distance Education Universities in India 2023
- 1. IGNOU
- 2. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning
- 3. Gitam Deemed to be University (Centre for Distance Learning)
- 4. IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute
- 5. Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University
- 6. Dr BR Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU)
- 7. Netaji Subhas Open University
- 8. Maharishi Dayanand University (MDU)
- 9. Karnataka State Open University
- 10. Acharya Nagarjuna University (CDE)
- State-Wise List of Top Open University in India / State-Wise …
- Best Open University in India 2023
- Which is the First Open University in India?
- Distance Education University Learning / Online University in India Learning
- Distance Education University Learning Benefits
- Distance Education University Learning Disadvantages
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Many universities and institutions are stepping up with innovative educational offerings to meet the needs of students and provide them with an education that is ready for the workforce in response to the growing demand for online courses and certifications. The best Indian universities that provide distance learning courses have been compiled here to enable you to continue your education while working. Let's begin by discussing the Indian distance learning courses.
What is Distance Education?
Distance Education, which is also referred to as distance learning, is a field of study that focuses on instructional system design, technology, and pedagogy and andragogy to provide education to students who are not physically "on site." Students can receive their education through distance learning, also known as distance education, which eliminates the need for them to physically attend classes or campuses. With this learning model, students receive their education online and are provided with study materials ahead of time, allowing them to learn in the convenience of their own homes.
We have compiled a list of the 10 distance education universities in India that provide distance education courses that allow you to continue your education while working. So, let us begin with the distance learning courses.
List of Top 10 Distance Education Universities in India 2023
Here is a list of the top 10 distance education universities or best correspondence university in India that provide students with quality distance education:
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), popularly referred to as the People’s University is one of the most reputed distance education universities in India and is regarded by many as the best open university in India. The university has a professionally qualified and experienced team of faculty which is dedicatedly devoted to developing knowledge, skills, attitudes, and value through dynamic and interactive methods of learning and grooming the students. IGNOU provides undergraduate, postgraduate, certificate and diploma courses to students in arts, science, commerce and management fields and is counted among the best distance education university in India.
Important features of IGNOU:
- Tele-counseling for student groups
- Training Study Centre Counselors /Coordinators
- Administrative interaction with Regional Centre functionaries
- Extended Contact Programme (ECP) with students
- Teaching-end studios located at IGNOU Campus, New Delhi and about 850 receivers ‘nodes' located in IGNOU Regional Centers and Study Centers
2. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning
Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning holds the second position on our list of distance education university and is among the best open university in India/best correspondence university in India. SCDL offers Post Graduate Diploma, Diploma and Certificate programs across a variety of management courses with the system of open universities in India
Important features of SCDL:
- Introduction of a "Blended Learning" methodology for all the programs offered at SCDL
- Interactive e-Learning content as a supplementary learning methodology to improve the understanding of concepts
- Virtual Classroom facility with the faculty has removed the distance barrier between the teacher and the taught via distance education in India.
- Online Faculty Chat Sessions allow students to interact with faculty.
3. Gitam Deemed to be University (Centre for Distance Learning)
Gitam University through the Centre for Distance Learning has contributed to the education revolution in its own way and is recognized as one of the finest distance education university//best correspondence university in India for offering quality education to scholars from across India.
Important features of Gitam University -
- The institute is among the top leading institutes in India
- The objective of the Gitam University is to support, promote and undertake the advancement of academics.\
- The University offers multiple learning options for a rewarding career ahead.
4. IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute
IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute is number 4 on our list. The Centre has taken the lead in preparing managers of tomorrow armed with a distinct vision, blended with technology and skills. The centre strives to create all-rounder leaders in management and entrepreneurship by helping its students acquire the necessary skills.
Courses Offered at IMT CDL include:
Some popular courses offered by IMT - CDL are as follows:
- Two Year Post-Graduate Diploma in Management
- One Year Post-Graduate Diplomas in Business Administration
- One Year Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (Executive) with specialization in -
- Financial Management
- Operations Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Information Systems
5. Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University
This distance education university aims to spread and promote higher education among the underprivileged and has set up study centres in remote rural areas. It has collaborations with institutes like the Rehabilitation Council of India, the Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management and the Indian Institute of Material Management, etc.
This open university in India aims to provide an easily accessible system of teaching and learning through education inputs like practical classes, distance teaching, satellite communication teaching, etc. Bhoj University gives special emphasis to target groups of learners coming from rural areas and especially those with a disability.
6. Dr BR Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU)
Dr B.R. Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU) has a wide network of 206 study centres spread throughout the state of Andhra Pradesh. The University follows the motto "Education at Your Doorstep" is considered one of the /best correspondence university in India.
This distance education university caters especially to women, working people and those who want to improve their academic qualifications and professional skills. The University lays special focus on socially disadvantaged and geographically isolated people who never had access to higher education earlier.
7. Netaji Subhas Open University
Netaji Subhas Open University is the premier State Open University in India. The university has set up 31 study centres to provide the students with distance education in Bachelor Degree Programme (BDP) in Arts & Commerce, and 5 study centres for Arts & Commerce Courses under the BDP.
Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Science subjects, Post Graduate Degree Programme in Science subject (Mathematics) and Arts Subjects (History and Social Work) have also been made available to the students.
8. Maharishi Dayanand University (MDU)
Maharishi Dayanand University provides a wide variety of courses through means of distance education university mode of learning. Maharshi Dayanand University has Students Support Services Centres (SSSC) in open and distance learning system that are not only confined to interactive counseling or solving the learner's problems but also includes personality development, soft skills, career counseling, community education, promoting open and distance learning as per the National Education Policy i.e. Education for All.
Further, the SSSCs also facilitate learning, counselling and solve the problems of the distance learners faced during self-study with respect to the study material supplied to them by the Directorate and considered one of the best correspondence university in India. Through SSSCs, these learners get an opportunity to interact with the counsellors as well as with the peer group.
9. Karnataka State Open University
Karnataka State Open University is located in Manasagangotri, Mysore. It is recognized as one of the best open universities in India imparting distance education.
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
- Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
- Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs
- Expands access to affordable programs for underserved learners
10. Acharya Nagarjuna University (CDE)
Acharya Nagarjuna University's Centre for Distance Education (CDE) was established in the year 1976.
The university has the following features:
- Enrolment either through the Centre for Distance Education or through the Study Centre of Student's choice
- Admissions are done twice a year i.e., Academic Year Batch (July to June), Calendar Year Batch (January to December)
- Weekend Classes / Practicals through Study Centres.
- The University offers more than 75 courses.
- A wide network of Examination Centres for the convenience of the students.
- Offers quality education at an affordable cost
Also Read: Acharya Nagarjuna University - Centre for Distance Education Courses
State-Wise List of Top Open University in India / State-Wise List of Top Distance Education University
Here is a list of the top Distance Education University in India. We have prepared a state-wise list of the best open university in India which offer the finest distance education in India.
Andhra Pradesh Distance Education Universities
Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
Dravidian University, Kuppam
National Sanskrit University Tirupati
Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur
Telangana Distance Education Universities
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad
Osmania University, Hyderabad
Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad
Arunachal Pradesh Distance Education Universities
Venkateshwara Open University, Itanagar
Assam Distance Education Universities
Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh
Bihar Distance Education Universities
Babasaheb BhimRao Ambedkar Bihar University, Muzaffarpur
Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga
Magadh University, Bodh Gaya
Nalanda Open University, Patna
Chhattisgarh Distance Education Universities
Pandit Sundarlal Sharma (Open) University, Bilaspur
Pt. Ravi Shankar Shukla University, Raipur
Delhi Distance Education Universities
Indira Gandhi National Open University, Delhi
Haryana Distance Education Universities
Chaudhary Devilal University, Sirsa
Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Gujarat Distance Education Universities
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad
Himachal Pradesh Distance Education Universities
Jammu and Kashmir Distance Education Universities
University of Jammu, Jammu
University of Kashmir, Srinagar
Karnataka Distance Education Universities
Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
Karnataka University, Dharwad
Mangalore University, Mangalore
Kerala Distance Education Universities
Sree Narayanaguru Open University, Kollam
Kannur University, Kannur
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
Madhya Pradesh Distance Education Universities
Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University, Bhopal
Awadhes Pratap Singh University, Rewa
Rani Durgawati University, Jabalpur
M.G. Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vishwavidyalaya, Chitrakoot
Maharashtra Distance Education Universities
University of Mumbai Institute of Distance & Open Learning (IDOL)
Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik
Indira International Distance Education Academy, IGI, Pune
Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University School of Distance Education (SDE)
D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth Pune Deemed to be University Centre for Online Learning
International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai
Meghalaya Distance Education Universities
Directorate of Distance Education, Mahatma Gandhi University
Centre for Distance Education NEHU Shillong
Mizoram Distance Education Universities
Nagaland Distance Education Universities
Global Open University
Sikkim Distance Education Universities
Odisha Distance Education Universities
Asian School of Business Management Distance Learning
Sambalpur University, Sambalpur
North Orissa University, Mayurbhanj
Puducherry Distance Education Universities
Punjab Distance Education Universities
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Rajasthan Distance Education Universities
Tamil Nadu Distance Education Universities
St. Peter's University, Chennai
Directorate of Distance Education, Mother Teresa Women’s University
Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
Alagappa University, Karaikudi
Tripura Distance Education Universities
Uttarakhand Distance Education Universities
Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar
Uttar Pradesh Distance Education Universities
IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute, Ghaziabad
Integral University, Lucknow
West Bengal Distance Education Universities
Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
Jadavpur University, Kolkata
University of Burdwan, Burdwan
University of Kalyani, Kalyani
Best Open University in India 2023Here is the list of best open universities in India2023 mentioned below:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- The Open University, Milton Keynes
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
- University of Calicut, Malappuram
- School of Open Learning, University of Delhi
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysuru
- Osmania university, Hyderabad
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj University, Bhopal
- Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- University of Kashmir, Srinagar
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- University of Jammu, Jammu
- University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
- Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University, Kota
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
- Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Dwarka
- Kuvempu University, Shivamogga
- Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut
- Nalanda Open University, Patna
- Uttarakhand Open University (State University), Haldwani
- Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli
- Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- University Of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar
- Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Sirsa
- Kannur University, Kannur
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- NMIMS Deemed-to-be-University, Mumbai
- Kakatiya University, Warangal
- Athabasca University, Athabasca
- Open Learning Institute of British Columbia
- Punjabi University, Patiala
- Sree Narayanaguru Open University
- Tamil University, Thanjavur
- Mangaluru University, Konaje Proper
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Prayagraj
- University Of Mysore (UoM), Mysuru
- Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
Which is the First Open University in India?Bhim Rao Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad, which was founded in 1982, became the country's first state-sponsored open university. Open universities are academic institutions that award degrees without many or any entrance criteria. They are the most appropriate for people who want to continue their education but received failing grades from their previous coursework.
Distance Education University Learning / Online University in India Learning
There are numerous distance education universities in India that provide a variety of courses. However, authorisation from the UGC-DEB, or University Grants Commission Remote Education Board, is required for best open university in India, Indian institutions and private colleges because it is the statutory authority that regulates distance education in India and maintains and creates distance education norms in India.
Distance education in India offers a variety of courses in a variety of specializations, which allows students to study the subject of their choice and eligibility. Most undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate programs are available online through online university in India.
So, if you are a working professional or a student looking for a distance program, a correspondence course through best open university in India is an excellent solution.
Distance Education University Learning Benefits
Here is a list of the advantages of going for distance education university studies:
- Flexible education system through best distance education university in India.
- Easy Curriculum.
- No Regular classes due to the system of open university in India.
- Earn along with learning due to the flexibility of getting a degree through an online university in India and continuing work at the same time.
- Less course fee.
Distance Education University Learning Disadvantages
Have a look at some disadvantages of distance education university learning or education via open university in India.
- Lack of classroom education as it is mainly through open university in India.
- No social interaction with fellows.
- No exposure to regular campus life.
We can say that the Open University system is flexible in terms of learning, admission process etc. Thus, it offers an alternative channel to those who missed the opportunities for higher education.
Also Read: Best Distance Education Diploma and Certificate Courses after 12th
CollegeDekho hopes this list helped you and may you make the right choice!
All the best.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more such best distance education university in India updates!