- Articles byStream
Top 10 Distance Education Universities in India
Distance education is considered to be a very modern way of learning and gives more emphasis on self-study by learner himself. This method is remarkably different from correspondence education as students learn sitting at home with the means of communication technology. The students can interact, debate, evaluate and give their feedback despite of the barriers of distance and time.
Distance education is one of the most popular options among the students who cannot attend regular classes. Whether it be due to job or any other factor, students can now continue with their college education with means of distance learning.
With new, efficient and widely available technology, this education method has gained popularity among the youth. Understanding the need of the hour, a number of elementary schools, secondary schools, universities, and businesses have started to offer distance education at both undergraduate and post graduate level in India.
Here is a list of top 10 universities that provide students with quality distance education:
IGNOU People’s University:
IGNOU People’s University is one of the most reputed universities in India. The university has professionally qualified and experienced team of faculty which is dedicatedly devoted to developing knowledge, skills, attitudes, and value through dynamic and interactive methods of learning and grooming the students.
Important features of IGNOU:
- Tele-counseling to student groups;
- Training Study Centre Counselors /Coordinators;
- Administrative interaction with Regional Centre functionaries;
- Extended Contact Programme (ECP) with students.
- Teaching- end studios located at IGNOU campus, New Delhi and about 850 receiver ‘nodes' located in IGNOU Regional Centers and Study Centers.
This university holds second position in our list and has been ranked 1st amongst the top Distance Learning Institutes for student learning experience by Careers 360 Rating 2012. SCDL offers Post Graduate Diploma, Diploma and Certificate programs across a variety of management courses.
Important features of SCDL:
- Introduction of a "Blended Learning" methodology for all the programs offered at SCDL
- Interactive e-Learning content as a supplementary learning methodology to improve the understanding of concepts
- Virtual Classroom facility with the Faculties has removed the distance barrier between the teacher and the taught.
- Online Faculty Chat Sessions allow students to interact with faculty
Sikkim Manipal University:
Sikkim Manipal university has contributed to this education revolution in its own way and is recognized by the University Grants Commission and approved by the Government of India. Sikkim Manipal University offers quality education to the scholars from North and Northeastern components of India.
Important features of SMU:
- The Institute is among in the top leading institute of India.
- It makes the student eligible in related field.
- The objective of the SMU is to support, promote and undertake the advancement of academics.
IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute is on number 4 on our list. The Centre has taken the leadership in preparing managers of tomorrow armed with a distinct vision, blended with technology and skills. The centre strives to create allround leaders in management and entrepreneurship by helping its students acquire the necessary skills.
Courses offered include:
- Two Year Post-Graduate Diploma in Management
- One Year Post-Graduate Diplomas in Business Administration
- One Year Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (Executive) with specialization in -
- Financial Management
- Operations Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Information Systems
Madhya Pradesh Bhoj(Open) University:
This university aims to spread and promote higher education among the underprivileged and has set up study centres in remote rural areas. It has collaboration with institutes like the Rehabilitation Council of India, Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management and Indian Institute of Material Management, etc.
The university aims to provide easily accessible system of teaching and learning through education inputs like practical classes, distance teaching, satellite communication teaching, etc. Bhoj University gives special emphasis to target groups of learners coming from rural areas and especially those with disability.
Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU):
Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU) has a wide network of 206 study centers spread throughout the state of Andhra Pradesh, the University has for its motto"Education at Your Doorstep".
Open University system is flexible in terms of admission, choice of Programs, duration and age requirements, teaching methods and evaluation procedures. Thus it offers an alternative channel to those who missed the opportunities for higher education.
The University caters specially to women, working people and those who want to improve their academic qualifications and professional skills. The University lays special focus on socially disadvantaged and geographically isolated people who never had access to higher education earlier.
Netaji Subhas Open University:
Netaji Subhas Open University is the premier State Open University in India. The university has set up 31 study centres to provide the students with distance education in Bachelor Degree Programme (BDP) in Arts & Commerce, 5 study centres for Arts & Commerce Courses under the BDP.
Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Science subjects, Post Graduate Degree Programme in Science subject(Mathematics) and Arts Subjects (History and Social Work) have also been made available to the students.
Maharishi Dayanand University (DDE):
Maharishi Dayanand University provids a vide variety of courses through means of distance learning. Maharshi Dayanand University have Students Support Services in open and distance learning system that are not confined only to interactive counseling or solving the learners problems but also includes the personality development, soft-skills, career counseling, community education, promoting open and distance learning as per the National Education Policy i.e. Education for All.
Further, the SSSCs also facilitate learning, counseling and to solve the problems of the distance learners which they face during their self-study from the study material supplied by the Directorate. Through SSSCs, these learners get an opportunity to interact with the counselors as well as with the peer group.
Karnataka State Open University:
Karnataka State Open University is located in Manasagangotri, Mysore. It is recognized as one of the best Open Universities in India imparting Distance Education.
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
• Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
• Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs.
• Expands access to affordable programs to underserved learners\
Acharya Nagarjuna University (CDE):
Acharya Nagarjuna University (CDE) was established in the year 1976 .
The univeristy has the following features:
- Enrolment either through the Centre for Distance Education or through the Study Centre of Student's choice.
- Admissions are made twice a year i.e., Academic Year Batch (July to June), Calender Year Batch (January to December)
- Weekend Classes / Practicals through Study Centres.
- Wide network of Examination Centres for the convenience of the students.
- Offers quality education at an affordable cost through a wide network of Study Centres.
CollegeDekho hopes this list helped you and may you make the right choice!
All the best!
JEE Mains 2017 results will be declared soon and most of you must be waiting in anticipation to check your score and ...
The result for VITEEE 2017 was announced by VIT University on April 23. Students can check their result by logging into ...