- CAT 2020 Components: DI and LR Weightage
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI and ..
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Pattern ..
- How to Prepare for DI and LR for CAT 2020?
- How to Solve DI LR Questions Of CAT 2020?
- How to Deal with the Increasing Difficulty Level o..
- How to Get Comfortable with DI LR for CAT exam?
- Last Minute Preparation Tips for CAT Exam
- Best Books for DI and LR Preparation for CAT 2020
- Top Colleges Accepting CAT 2020 Scores
Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The Common Admission Test, or CAT as it is commonly known, is undoubtedly at the topmost position among all the competitive management entrance exams in India. The CAT exam is taken by students whose aim is to pursue a course in management by getting into a good business school. Every year, more than two lakh students appear for the CAT exam, aspiring to bag a seat in one of the top management colleges of India. Through CAT, students can enrol in the various management programmes like MBA (Master in Business Administration), Executive MBA (P.G.P.Ex, E.M.B.A. etc.), PGDM. (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) etc., that are offered at some of the top MBA colleges of the country. All the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), in which the majority of MBA aspirants seek admission, consider CAT for conducting admissions.
CAT exam is divided into three sections namely Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Ability. As every section covers a different type of questions, a different strategy is required to attempt all sections. This article will provide you with various tips and tricks that will help you in preparing for the Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section of CAT 2020. DI and LR constitute a major part of CAT and this is the section in which maximum students have trouble.
CAT 2020 Components: DI and LR Weightage
The Exam Pattern of CAT 2020 will be the same as it has been the previous years. CAT 2020 comprises three sections:
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI and LR)
The section of DI and LR is said to be the trickiest of all sections. Special techniques are required during the preparation of DI and LR in order to get maximum accuracy and understanding. The details of DI and LR in CAT are given in the table below.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
32 (Divided into sets of 4)
Total DI Questions
Total LR Questions
Time Allotted for Section
40 minutes (Reduced from 60 minutes)
Questions without negative marking
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI and LR) Syllabus 2020
The syllabus for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning for CAT 2020 is given below. All the questions that will be asked in the DI and LR section of CAT 2020 will be from these topics only. Therefore, candidates should have a thorough understanding of the syllabus of CAT in order to solve the questions and perform well in this section.
Part 1- Data Interpretation Syllabus for CAT 2020
- Data Charts
- Data Tables
- Bar diagrams and Charts including Stacked, Simple, Composite Bar Charts
- Caselet Based Data
- Pie charts
- Data analysis and Data comparison among others
- Graphs – Line X-Y Graphs
Part 2- Logical Reasoning Syllabus for CAT 2020
- Binary logic
- Blood Relations (Family Tree)
- Seating Arrangement
- Logical Sequence
- Team Formation
- Linear and matrix arrangement
- Direction sense and Decision Making
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Set Theory, Venn Diagrams, Network Diagrams
- Critical Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning based on Rankings
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Pattern in CAT 2020
The types of questions asked in the Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section of CAT 2020 are explained here. Knowing how many questions are asked from each topic and their type will help students in streamlining their preparation accordingly. They will get an idea of how to prepare for the questions and the importance of each subject. Consult the table given below to understand the types of questions asked in the DI and LR section of CAT.
Data Interpretation (DI) for CAT 2020
Types of Questions
Number of Questions
Problem Set 1- Tables and Charts
Comparison of Data of various ages, years etc.
Problem Set 2- Bar Diagram, Graph
Comparison of various years, groups, classes, etc., Data Analysis
Problem Set 3- Pie Chart, Tables
Decoding and finding the data of a missing period, interpreting the missing links, taking clues
Problem Set 4- Charts, Graphs
Analysing data and coming to a conclusion, also making future projections
12 MCQs (Multiple Choice Type Questions), 4 Non-MCQs
Logical Reasoning (LR) for CAT 2020
Type of Questions
Number of Questions
Problem Set 1- Rankings/ Arrangements/ Team Formation
Ranks, seating arrangement, types of team formation. Lots of conditions will be placed to create confusion.
Problem Set 2- Puzzles, Quantitative Reasoning
Based on Geometrical data, Arithmetic, various puzzles on letters, words, seating, arrangements, etc.
Problem Set 3- Logical Deductions/ Syllogisms
Questions based on statements and arguments
Problem Set 4- Binary Logic/ Ven Diagrams
Questions on network diagrams and set theory
12 MCQs (Multiple Choice Type Questions), 4 Non-MCQs
How to Prepare for DI and LR for CAT 2020?
The preparation for Data Interpretation requires a lot of practice. The syllabus of DI is much more defined than the syllabus of the other sections of CAT, hence a different strategy is required for its preparation. CAT Data Interpretation syllabus covers almost all the types of questions of data analysis and data comparison that could be formed on bar diagrams, data table, graphs, pie charts among other modules for the representation of data. With regular practice and improvement in the skills on Data Comparison and Data Analyst, the DI questions of CAT can be answered easily and in a much shorter time.
Logical Reasoning questions in CAT are generally based on a guide to arrive at good and proper decisions by following a systematic thought process. The LR questions are based on natural human instincts that are designed to lead the candidate and help him/ her arrive at the right answer option by following the prescribed flow chart of Logical Reasoning. The objective is not to only get the correct answers of Logical Reasoning but to get the correct answer in optimum time and with acceptable accuracy. Candidates need to be quick in mathematical calculations while maintaining accuracy in order to perform well in the LR section.
Primarily, all the sets of DI questions can be further classified into the following categories.
1. Calculation Based: These are the sets which have questions that deal with the increase or decrease in percentage or in the nominal increase/ decrease. These questions require good control of the candidate over basic calculation and approximation.
2. Counting Based: These are mostly large data sets in which the candidates are supposed to count the instances which meet the needs of the questions. The questions under these sets require focus and patience so that the test taker can ensure that he/she does not commit a single mistake.
3. Logic-Based: In the CAT exam, sometimes charts are used to give data in ranges or with conditions where it is not possible to find the exact data. In such cases, the candidate is usually asked to find a number which can be arrived at by fulfilling the need to maximize or minimize the number. The candidate needs to use strong logic to deduce an answer to these questions.
4. Structure-Based: These comprise some specials sets. They are time-consuming questions and the chances of them being asked in CAT 2020 are less. They include questions like sales-disposal data of a specific product in the market, goals of various teams in a tournament, etc.
To perform well in the DI and LR section of CAT 2020, the candidates need to follow the steps given below.
- The CAT aspirants have to prepare according to the latest trends on Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning questions that are asked in CAT of previous years.
- All candidates must prepare from the best books of Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning that are recommended by experts.
- Practising is the key to nailing the section of DI and LR. The candidates need to read and practice various types of DI and LR questions every day.
- It is imperative for all candidates to enhance their calculation skills. Doing quick mathematics mentally saves a lot of time and helps in all the question of DI and LR.
- Accuracy is of the utmost importance when doing the DI and LR questions of CAT. Candidates must be careful about their calculations and check that there is no error in their deductions.
- Getting online study material from some famous coaching institutes of CAT can prove to be helpful too.
- The candidates who wish to sit for CAT 2020 must take CAT mock tests as frequently as they can and analyse their performance in each exam. Signing up for the test series of any institute or class can be highly beneficial as the candidates will be provided with lots of questions to practise.
- All candidates must know how to use approximations correctly and when to use them. This helps in saving time on some questions the answers of which can be derived by approximations and not calculations.
With less than six months left for CAT 2020, the preparation of all aspirants must be regular and rigorous. Students who are appearing for CAT 2020 must give at least one hour each day for the practice and preparation of Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. They should aim to complete the entire syllabus of DI and LR in the span of one month and then use the remaining time solely for practising mock papers and doing revisions.
How to Solve DI LR Questions Of CAT 2020?
It is necessary to find out a right approach to solving DI LR questions of CAT 2020 before starting answering them. You must keep an eye on the clock available on the right of your screen to know the time left. Besides this, there are some other things which should be considered while answering the DI LR problems.
Analyse the type of questions: Besides this, you must first go through the type of question asked in the exam. You should check what is given in the question and what you have to calculate.
Try to solve the problem in mind: You should first try to solve the problem in mind without solving in on paper. It will save time. Besides this, it will also help you to build your mental strength.
Shortcuts and Assumptions: Most of the LI DR questions of CAT can be solved by assumptions. You can assume any quantity to the closest multiple of 10 to get solve it quickly.
Time Management: Time management is the most crucial factor while attempting LI DR questions of CAT. You should divide your time equally between all questions. You may try to attempt the easier ones first so that you can save some time for hard ones.
How to Deal with the Increasing Difficulty Level of CAT DILR?
As we all know that Data Interpretation and Logical reasoning section of CAT is the most crucial section. Questions in the Data Interpretation and Logical reasoning section of CAT 2020 are more challenging in comparison to the other two sections of the exam. You need to concentrate on each and every point mentioned in the question to answer the problem.
The best way to deal with the increasing difficulty level of DILR is to practise regularly. You should try to solve the maximum number of questions from logical reasoning. You can also refer to the previous years’ question paper of CAT to get an idea about the difficulty level of the section.
How to Get Comfortable with DI LR for CAT exam?
You need to practise a maximum number of questions from logical reasoning section to get comfortable with the DI LR section. You can refer shortcuts and Fastrack strategies of solving any LI DR questions of CAT exam. There are many videos available over the internet which can help you to develop your speed and calculation skills for these kinds of problems. It is recommended that candidates focus on the hardest problems so that they do not find any problem while solving problems of any difficulty level.
Last Minute Preparation Tips for CAT Exam
Provided below are a few of the most important CAT exam links. Candidates can go through them to strengthen their exam preparation.
Best Books for DI and LR Preparation for CAT 2020
Some of the best books for CAT 2020 that the aspirants can consult while preparing for the Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section are given here. The titles of the books are given along with their authors.
Author of the Book
How to Prepare for Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning for CAT
Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency
Trishna's Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT And Other MBA Examinations
Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT
Top Colleges Accepting CAT 2020 Scores
There are many colleges in India apart from the prestigious IIMs which accept CAT 2020 scores. Check the table given below to know the top colleges accepting CAT 2020 scores.
With these techniques and all the information provided in this article, candidates aiming to get a good percentile in CAT 2020 will be able to reach their target by performing well in the DI and LR section of the exam.
If you have any queries related to MBA admission, you can call our toll-free helpline number 1800-572-9877 or fill the Common Application Form (CAF). You can also raise your queries on the CollegeDekho QnA Zone.
Meanwhile, you can check some articles related to MBA admission below.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more information on CAT exam!